HT - Classic or Modern?

Reelnostalgia

Reelnostalgia:

Let me add my nickels' worth as a "new HT fan":

1) Forte's are GREAT speakers; I use them for my front L&R. As a matter of fact, I know which auction you are referring to, and as soon as I read "no ship", it was out of the question for me. This is a GOOD speaker that will give you a very nice sound in the room you have. My room is 20' x 21', but is split in half.

2) As Frzninvt stated, there are a number of other good Klipsch speakers as well (and as a side note, I have a pair of Heresy II's on the way from him right now for my center and rear center..;>). For my surrounds, I use Klipsch KG2, and they match well with the rest of my system (and by comparison to other heritage stuff, are far less costly).

3) The ONLY problem with Forte's as fronts are a suitable center speaker match - the Klipsch Academy is a good one, but they are a bit pricey and not often easy to find. I shyed away and went with a Heresy II, since it shares the Forte mid and the Academy tweet - a nice match.

Do NOT discount heritage stuff, if I were you personally I would JUMP on the Forte's - you WILL need a good sub, and you'll need a good cenetr and surrounds. Cenetr is far more critical than surrounds, but for the bucks, Forte's are very nice speakers, IMHO. I had the opportunity to listen to Cornwalls last weekend (THANX JEFF), and Forte's sound very much the same - with a bit less "volume".

Good luck and have fun!!

Popbumper6.gif

I had reference and pretty much sold it all to go to heritage.. the transformation is almost complete.

Lascala doing the front channel load

Heresy's for the rear surrounds

and an Academy for center duty.. which will soon be moved to the back for 6.1 and a custom lascala center will take over.

Still have the RW-12 which I am happy with.

I'm in between recievers right now after offing my onkyo601..so the Scott233 is pulling the amplification duties..ofcourse that's 2ch but it still rocks...thinking about panny's XR70 if it ever get released.

All Heritage makes a nice HT/Audio system. It will perform both assignments equally well. The ones with 2 systems generally had great 2-channel gear that did not have the inputs or switching needed to integrate into HT. I don't blame them. I still get a little twitchy when the boys use my system. However, I only have one room available for my gear and it has to do for HT and 2-channel.

Ballfan says--- "That's not a gimmick, that's how you get immersed in a film."

Oh really? And here I thought that a great story, photography, direction and acting was what got one immersed in a picture. I must be missing something.

Just how in the Sam Hill did we immersed in Intolerance, Sunrise, Gone With The Wind, The Grapes of Wrath, The Searchers, The Three Faces of Eve and Sunset Blvd. without big explosions and creepy things approaching from the surrounds?

I guess Sunset Blvd would have been better if von Stroheim was replaced by Lou Costello and a surround track.

Birth of a Nation was described as "history written with lightning" by Woodrow Wilson. Maybe you better skip it ballfan, no surround sound, no sound at all save music to accompany. I reckon you won't get "immersed" in it. Too bad for you.

"I must be missing something"

Yes, you are1.gif

However, I will preface my opinion by stating that HT (and other multichannel attempts) WAS A GIMMICK, until the advent of Dolby Digital and DTS.

I certainly remember such half baked attempts at multichannel such as "Pro-Logic", "Simulated Stadium/Hall/Theater", and of course, "Quadrophonic". All certainly qualified as "gimmicks" because none offered full range discrete sound between channels.....and through thier use, muddied the sonics of the software played through such systems. All of these "half-baked" attempts at multichannel sounded better when the units simply played stereo.

I sold some of this stuff (but not often)! I worked audio rooms when almost every maker was pushing this stuff, and to be honest, I sold about 80% 2 channel setups. While the others were selling these half baked surround getups, I was encouraging folks to stay in stereo, where things were still "done right" (to a degree). If one cannot do it right, don't do it at all.

But the times, they are a changin'. Enter the DVD. Now, instead of two full range channels, we have six (or seven). Now I'm interested, because we can toss those little 5 by 5 inch surround speakers IN THE GARBAGE, and start talking about identical full range speakers to take advantage of this. The software is available, it is simply a matter of assembling a system to take best advantage of the software.

So now we can sit on stage with Steely Dan, feel what it was like to be at Winterland for The Band's "Last Waltz", and be a part of the battle with Neo. It is as quality of an experience as a good 2 channel rig is - just in it's own way.....both can allow a totally immersive (or shall we say, "organic2.gif") experience. A wonderful test for any HT is to play multi channel music through the system; this will expose all of the weaknesses in ways that the crash/boom of movies will not. If it passes that test, you are golden.

Which is not to say that "Gone With The Wind" or "The Grapes of Wrath" cannot be enjoyed in thier original forms, just as READING these works can be an immersive experience too. All have thier benefits.

I can also agree with an oft opined sentiment that most of these new movies focus too much on "crash and boom" and little attention to other important details, like good acting and story (George Lucas and the two recent Star Wars releases, anyone??). If the acting was half as good as the sound and video of these, they would be great entertainment. The romance scenes in "Star Wars II - AOTC" are BRUTAL.....painful to watch. People were groaning in the theater - it was that bad. Nothing new here - Hollywood has been cranking out 85% garbage for years (just as the music industry has), but it's the 15% "good stuff" that I focus on.

I was much like TBrennan was - wouldn't give HT the time of day. Then the DVD came - then I found this place. I have since changed my mind.

tbrenan is so right, recently as an experiment i moved my heresies upstairs to my bedroom, because the yammy reference combo was too harsh, this left me with khorn fronts and a lascalla center, after i dialed everything in again i was amayzed, the info for the sats was redirected to the front three and the increased dynamics in my front three was so amayzing, i had higher higs and lower lows, in a small way the immersion was affected, but very minimally, as tb stated the front channels were really the important speakers, and with heritage doing the duty the result is so realistic, so dynamic, i do not miss my sats at all, so much so that my heresies are now my bedroom speakers permanantly, but, and its a big but, the heresies brought out the shortcomings in my yammy system, i am now begining to look for a small tube system for the bedroom. here i go again12.gif

----------------

On 5/5/2004 7:09:32 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Reference series speakers have more dynamic range and great power handling than Heritage speakers, C'mon Darren you can't be serious. While the Reference series are certainly nice speakers and maybe were designed for Home Theater you have no idea the detail that you are missing if you have all Heritage HT. I think you need to listen to one before you speak your opinion.

----------------

You shouldn't assume I didn't do a comparison just because I didn't come to the same conclusion you did. I did, and preferred the Ref 7's for 5.1 movies. There are a lot of combinations of heritage speakers for a 5.1 set-up and I certainly didn't listed to every combination in my house with my electronics, but I heard enough to be comfortable with what I bought. For 2-channel music, that's a different story.

----------------

On 5/5/2004 9:01:20 PM TBrennan wrote:

Birth of a Nation was described as "history written with lightning" by Woodrow Wilson. Maybe you better skip it ballfan, no surround sound, no sound at all save music to accompany. I reckon you won't get "immersed" in it. Too bad for you.

----------------

There was a time when people said sound in movies was a gimmick, or that color in movies was a gimmick, or even that stereo was a gimmick. They were wrong too 2.gif

I'm not saying a good surround track is necessasry for a good movie, but all other things being equal a good surround track will make a movie experience *better*. If you're satisfied watching 5.1 DVDs in stereo, more power to you. Just as in widescreen vs. Pan and Scan, I'll take it in the manner the director intended it.

I'll add my thoughts on Heritage speakers for HT. My HT started with a DPL receiver in '93, with Forte IIs, no surrounds and a phantom center. The next year I added a pair of KG 1.2s for surrounds and a KV-3 center. It sounded spectacular and my place was popular for movie nights.

In '00, I upgraded to a DD receiver and bought another pair of KG 1.2s for surround back duty, as well as a PW-2200 for a sub. I really enjoyed the way the little KGs matched up with the Fortes. Then I learned about timbre matching and was able to find a local Academy. MMM, sweet stuff across the front trio, though the KV-3 is quite a good speaker.

Enter a set of Chorus IIs for mains, Forte IIs moved to surrounds and the trusty KG 1.2s keep going in back. I was at Indy last year and the Ronin demo was good, but I perfered my current system, though I admit, the demo wasn't on the RF-7s. I was "stuck" in the Heritage room when they played Matrix shootout scene on the RF-7s.

Once my basement is done, I'll be replacing the Academy with another Chorus II and revel in the sound. I enjoy the classic lines of the "extended" Heritage models and the great sound they produce with their 3-way design. Maybe someday I could do a fully-horn-loaded system, but I'd need a much bigger room.

Do yourself a favor, jump on those Fortes as they will be the start of a great system. Then, depending on your space availability, look for another set, or maybe the KG 1.2/1.5 or 2.2/2.5 for rears. Centers are open season. In a pinch, you could use a KV-3 until you find an Academy, or maybe try the Heresy. There are two Academys up on eBay now, and the last one sold for a relatively "reasonable" price, below $500 if I remember correctly. Enjoy!!

Ok. You fine folk have talked me into it. I'm going to take the Heritage HT plunge. As I stated, I always loved the sound of the Cornwalls but I DO remember they were behemouths! I really don't think I have the room for those up front. I'm going to audition the local Fortes but someone mentioned the chorus sounded more like the Cornwalls in a smaller package. I guess I'll decide that aspect when I audition the Fortes.

One thing I keep reading from many of you. Heresy's are pretty popular for surrounds. OK, but what's the secret? They are the smallest for the original Heritage line but they aren't THAT small. How do you get them up high enough to serve as surrounds. Shouldn't surrounds be at least two or three feet above your head and to the side? Or, should I be looking at the smaller KG's for surrounds as was mentioned. The center I'll have to get by with until I can come up with an Academy.

Sub(s) are also mentioned. One or two? Wouldn't the RSW-15 do the trick? I've heard SWS mentioned. Are these bass tubes and do I need two. It's getting rather confusing suddenly.3.gif

Hey!

Glad to hear you are heading in the heritage direction. You should not be dissapointed with the Forte's. I think you will find their "medium" size very accomodating, and not overly large for a "typical" space. I have a 20' x 21' room, cut in "half", and the Forte's do a nice job.

I am using KG's for surrounds, I actually have them on 30" stands behind the seating area (and facing one another). Perhaps this is not the BEST arrangement, but it works fine. I have actually "ordered" a set of Heresy II's for my front CENTER and rear CENTER (6 channel setup). Should have them Monday.

Please keep us informed of your progress, you really can't go wrong. Sure, Corn's are great, but you may have a harder time finding them. Heresy's are plentiful, Forte's less so, Cornwalls even less. Chorus? Rare indeed.

Good luck!!

Popbumper

2.gif

----------------

On 5/5/2004 10:25:18 AM damonrpayne wrote:

j-malotky is the antichrist, don't listen to anything he says. I was "done" with my HT untill he kept inviting me over to hear his now I have to start over again. Stay away.

----------------

Good one Damon1.gif

I confess, I am the antichrist11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif Follow me, and you will be destine to an eternity of continuous upgrades.11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif

JM

Reel,

I can send you pictures of what UPS does to Chorus II's, or I can show you my Academy and you can just IMAGINE what they do with a speaker that is three times the weight.

Please, please, please don't try to get those things shipped to you. Wait for a set to come up within driving distance, and use the money you would have allocated to shipping to help you win the bid. I've seen Chorus II's go as high as $950, but you ought to be able to do $200 better than if you're patient and lucky. Ultimately though, only you can decide what they're worth to you.

Ed

I also have to vote for an all Heritage system. JM's sig says it all...."An all Heritage HT is hard to beat"

----------------

On 5/6/2004 10:35:19 PM Reelnostalgia wrote:

How do you get them up high enough to serve as surrounds?

----------------

I put my rear channel Heresy's on 4' stands. They did not do well mounted to the rear wall.

IM007276.JPG

----------------

On 5/6/2004 10:35:19 PM Reelnostalgia wrote:

The center I'll have to get by with until I can come up with an Academy.

----------------

I also used the parts from a Heresy for a custom Heresy center.

My Theater

----------------

On 5/11/2004 1:14:55 AM cyclonecj wrote:

I also have to vote for an all Heritage system. JM's sig says it all...."An all Heritage HT is hard to beat"

----------------

Especially when two little stuffed panda's are guarding it. 3.gif