The world before eBay

Parrot

The world before eBay was a sorry place for audiophiles. Before eBay, most people who bought used stereo equipment had to go to retail audio salons and browse through the trade-ins. That was fine for what it was, but it offered a pitiful selection compared to the whole world market of eBay. A year's worth of used equipment selections at a retail store wouldn't equal what is sold on eBay in one single day.

I've used eBay since 1997 and a full 99% of the people I've dealt with have been good, honest people. I trust a good portion of people on eBay enough that I'll often send out the item I've sold even before I receive the payment. That's the beauty of the feedback system. I've never been ripped off yet.

Consider that any day you can find a used pair of Heresies on eBay, and probably within driving distance for any given week. That's just a phenomenal development in availability, and all because of eBay. Sure there are a few bad apples; but where isn't that true in the world? I prefer to look at it positively, and think about how amazing it is that total strangers can trust each other to send hundreds of dollars worth of equipment or payment, and have everything work out well 99% of the time.

Audiogon is also pretty good, but the feedback usually reflects just a few transactions, so it's typically a lot more iffy. I've dealt with more flakes on audiogon than I have on eBay, with only a small fraction of the number of transactions.

Disclaimer: I do not own eBay.

I second that, Paul. So far I have only had one bad dealing with a transaction on a couple video cards with a good seller went bad during the downturn of the economy. In general, eBay is a pretty good place for trading audio equipments. Though I do like Audiogon since you can negotiate on some fixed price listings instead of fighting the bidding war. I have acquired some mint gears at unbelievable price.

I've also lucked out so far from all my purchases on both eBay and AudiogoN...even the present situation with the lost replacement BEZ 300B SET amp from the seller Lam Ying Wing from Hong Kong is being handled in a courteous, professional manner. I think we should really thank the internet, or these auction houses/seller's markets wouldn't be where they are today.

I remember browsing the classified ads in newspapers and magazines looking for deals on audio gear back in the day...I'm glad those days are now over with for me!

Disintermediation (eliminating the middle man) has been a good thing for the consumer. And jubilation for sellers knowing that by typing Eico HF-81 in Google and reading Kelly's page at top, that bids will go up simply through the power of suggestion! Still, there are pros and cons on dealing with the World's Online Marketplace, and still something to be said for personally auditioning equipment before buying it..

Pondered a bit on Allan's recent transaction, that particular seller had been an eBay member for one month, Allan has 100% feedback from 908 sources.. doesn't really add up. One hint,

Item location: Shinzo's vault

Guess the seller-turned-buyer will choose to have his Fiat shipped?

Add forums like this one where people from different parts of the world communicate and share experiences. There's no denying that the internet has brought tremendous possibilities into our homes. I am sure that I've learnt a lot more about audio ever since joining this site....and the equipment and music purchased due to recommendations has certainly improved the sound in my home...and it pleases my bank manager 9.gif .

Wolfram

Does no one remember or ever use rec.audio.marketplace on usenet? That was THE source to find used audio equipment prior to ebay (and it is still in use today although not as good as it used to be). I bought and sold many items there with good results and it was absolutely free! Maybe I am naive, but I tend to feel that most in our hobby are passionate about it and are usually good people to deal with. I wish ebay had some tougher competition. Would keep fees down and service up if they did. Just my thoughts...

Regards,

Dave

Ebay has its down side also. I am a blacksmith (never know it by my handle would ya?) and we have seen the price of equipment go sky high due to the collectors on e-bay. I have never seen so much miss-information, half-truths and outright lies as the descriptions on e-bay. If something is rusty, it must be a blacksmith tool and thus it is rare! never mind, it was made last week, sprayed with Clorox and kept moist for the last week. This treatment will make something look positively ACHENT! You know the same thing happens with audio gear and anything else that someone stands to make some money with.

I couldn't do without ebay. It allows me to try many different speaker parts and then sell the ones that I don't like for the same money that I payed for them. I'm now making another list of spare parts to put on ebay to sell. My problem is that I keep a lot of them to try in another project, even if they didn't work for the current one. I need to clean house again. It can be addicting.

----------------

On 5/10/2004 9:19:56 PM jt1stcav wrote:

...even the present situation with the lost replacement BEZ 300B SET amp from the seller Lam Ying Wing from Hong Kong is being handled in a courteous, professional manner. ----------------

Yeah, four to six months after payment and still no amp!

You ship the bad one back, he recieves it within a week and a half, says he'll get a new one out to you A.S.A.P., and it's been how long since that, a month or two?!

I'm sorry but that's NOT "being handled in a courteous, proffessional manner". That schmuck has not intensions on getting that other amp out to you any faster than the first one, if at all.

I'm sure other members here probably agree with me.

Hello:

Now with eBay, we can get copies of CDs, DVDs. We can also compete with friends of the seller who drive the price up or get sniped at the last minute.

It is no wonder there are so many hawking things on how to make money on eBay.

Yes, the majority are honest, BUT, the few dishonest just float around.

Audiogon has been no pleasant place - things sold without being marked, equipment that is a poor match with efficient Klipsch speakers. There is a guarantee, but the trouble to get your money back is a pain.

There needs to be a more reliable system.

Although I have only used e-bay twice for purchases, my system plans would be DIW without it. My purchasing experience was very good I am satisfied with my purchase and the seller with my swift payment. Obviously some problems exist but they are relatively few from what I have seen. Most of the e-bay gripes I have read are for people who lost bids in the closing moments, frustrating no doubt but that is an auction for you. You just cant see who is winning your chosen item. Ive gotten to a point that my searches are very defined and Ive bookmarked them for future convenience. Yeah for those of us afflicted with this audioholic disease e-bay is a must.