Proud new owner of KG4s, The questions begin!

n2dablue

Hello All,

Like the subject line says, I just got my KG4's off of Ebay for $193. They are in great condition, as they have 1990 serial numbers on them. The only flaws are some chipping of the veneer (sp?) on the corners of the bases, but no big deal.

I am 19 and in the Air Force. I am no Audiophile, but have a pretty good ear and appriciate good sound. My parents have a pair of Fortes that are just awesome, in my opinion.

I bought the KG4's because I miss my folk's system and that Klipsch sound, but was still on a tight budget. It's now time to think about a stereo receiver that is going to make the grade, and the budget.

Between my Fiance and I, we listen to a very wide range of music, and perhaps the KG4s were not the best choice, especially for classical. It was suggested by an "Audiophile" friend of mine that I should try to mate these speakers with a Denon receiver, reason being that the Denon line is typicaly a warmer sounding receiver. What do you guys and gals recomend for driving these speakers in a small to medium size room, and having decent ability to play many different types of music without my Fiance (who is a musician) wrinkling her nose? We mainly play standard CDs and the very occasional SACD(2 channel of course). We will also be using this for watching movies. I am looking to spend no more than 300-350 on a stereo receiver, and am not afraid of scrounging around ebay for used equipment.

Thank you for your time, everyone! It seems you are all most helpful on this forum!

Paul Larson

Any of the HK x30 (430, 630, 730, or 930)line will be a nice fit, and a real bargain. Most prefer the 430 or the 730, and the 730 only of there is a need for more than one "Aux" input. These receivers were produced in the early 1970's, and are known as Harman Kardon's "Twin Powered" series of receivers, as each receiver sports dula power supplies - one for each channel. They are gutsy little units, with a warm solid sound that mates well with vintage Klipsch. You can find them regularly on Ebay. There are both a 430 and a 730 up for bid right now.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&socolumnlayout=3&lotr=1&from=R10&catref=C3&satitle=kardon&sacategory=39785%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&sapricelo=&sapricehi=&=&sosortproperty=1%26sosortorder%3D1

Thanks for the tips, are there any recomendations out there for receivers that have remotes that might be worth my time? A remote control comes highly valued in this house! (I know, I know, I'm a child of the '80s/'90s, go ahead and laugh) 2.gif

BTW, do any of you know anything about this receiver? It looks pretty nice, but I just dont know Denon real well...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3095838842&category=3279&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks

Paul

If you want something with remote capability - here is my suggestion.

Adcom Tuner/Preamp Combo - a GTP 500 or 500 II can be found on Ebay for $140 - $160, with remote, if memory serves.

Adcom GFA 535 amp - either 535 or 535 II - can be had on Ebay for under $200, and the 535 usually goes for around $150.

With this pair of components, you would have the flexibility of separates, and 2 channel sound that would blow away many modern 2 channel receivers, even some that would cost many times more than what you'd pay for the Adcom set up.

The 535 is a VERY well respected little amp. The primary difference between the 535 and the 535 II is the addition of binding posts to accomodate more types of speak wire and speaker connectors (spades, bananas, etc.). If you don't care about that, the 535 is an excellent choice. The Adcom tuner/pre combos are very nice and neutral sounding, and pair well with Klipsch. On many of these units, you also get a pretty nice phono section built in, if you ever decide to experiment with vinyl.

And as an added bonus, your total outlay could come in for less than $350 if you're patient. Prices on Ebay for audio gear will start to drop over the summer, so that might be the best time to buy.

Hi,

I have had my Denon DRA 345 (45 watts) and Klipsch 4.2's for about 12 years now listening to low volume classical/jazz. I bought them new with a carousel CD player and have had no reliability issues at all. Couple weeks ago I had a DRA 685 (100 watts) delivered to my door for about 400 bucks. They sure make those Klipsch sound better and both recievers have remotes..........Pat

I used a Nakamichi TA-2 (50watt Stasis reciever) with my KG4s and they were a nice combo. Recently upgraded to Fortes and TA-4 which has been knocking my socks off, frankly. You can get a TA-2 or TA-3 for probably $100-$200, the TA-4 usually goes for upwards of $400 in really nice shape.

I have the TA-2 which I'd be willing to part with, fairly cheaply, but the pre-amp selection does not work (solenoid is probably shot). However, the amp is fine working condition (as is the tuner) and would easily drive your KG4s loudly and cleanly. I have the remote as well.

I compared the Naks to many of the mid 80s "mid-fi" like Denon, Luxman, Onkyo, etc, and the Nak blew them out of the water.

N2-

Welcome to a fellow "zoomie," I was in from '92-'00. Denon and Klipsch sound (to me) wonderful together. Not sure if you want to look at an AVR, which would allow you to do decoding of DVDs, or if you will just want a 2-ch receiver, and run movies with 2 speakers. If you want the AVR, check out the Denon AVR-1604 or 1804. They may be a bit above your price, $100 or so, but you can usually find prices lower than MSRP.

The Denon on eBay should be a pretty good 2-ch unit. My parents have a DRA-75 (bought in '87) and it sounds great with their Chorus IIs. Best of luck in your searches.

I use a Denon 2803 with my kg 3.5's and 5.2's and like the matchup. Very detailed with a good sound stage and will carry a lot of different styles of music. Mine was on closeout at the beginning of the year for $425 so used should go for less, and the 1803 should even be cheaper. Since receivers usually last a long time, you might want to consider these because they also have full 5.1 HT capabilities. This would give you upgrade options for a HT setup down the road as your budget permits. With the Denon you might have to teak the treble a bit for classical.

Are your KG4's the early 4-ohm model or the 6-ohm? If they are the 4-ohm, make sure your amp is rated for 4-ohms. I have the 4-ohm KG4s (I bought new 19 years ago). I have used them with the HK430 and they sound good. However, only one set of speakers can be used if they are 4-ohm (cannot run 1 and 2 speaker channels at the same time or it could damage the receiver). When I bought the KG4s, the dealer sold me a Yamaha R8 as their best matching receiver that had a remote. It is stable with two sets of 4-ohm speakers (I used to run a 4-ohm and a 6-ohm set together).

When I bought my KG4's back in "90" I ran them with a JVC receiver I got as a Christmas present back in 1981. Sounded very good. I soon moved up to the ForteII and bought the Yamaha DSP-A1000. I still have the JVC and it is now running my Forte's in another room. Still sounds great!

Thanks for all the input guys! Yeah, I am probably going to stay with 2 channel for now, I compared the sound of the Denon surround units with their 2 channel units and given that you are looking in the same price bracket, the stereo outperforms the multichannel units in stereo mode, by quite a bit! To answer someones question, my KG4s are '90 models and are 6 ohms.

I picked up an open box Onkyo 8511 with no real intention of keeping it, unless it blew me away, and it is definitely going back. Its nice and all, but it just lacks a certain something that I cant put my finger on, I dunno its just not for me. I am leaning towards a Denon DRA 395, 685, or a used 825R. The other option I'm still rolling around is a Nakamichi, because I just cant find anything bad being said about them! What kind of sound do the old Naks put out?

N2

Well Son, you're hooked and thats all there is to it.... My first Klipsch speakers were kg4's and I enjoyed them for several years before the opportunity to get a pair of '77 LaScalas came my way. My next acquisition was a pair of early Hereseys.

When I bought the Kg4's, I powered them with an old Sansui 5000X stereo receiver and they effortlessly played everything from Mozart to Arrowsmith to Alan Jackson. I have since upgraded to a Denon AVR1803.

Keep those Kg4's... they'll handle anything you run through them.

Dave in Nashville

Mains: '77 LaScalas with ALK crossovers

Sides: Kg4's

Center and Rear: Rebuilt Hereseys

Sub: Velodyne 1012

Receiver: Denon AVR1803

Put in a dream sheet at CBPO. Hopefully you'll get an overseas tour and be able to buy some killer gear duty free. I was also in the USAF. I first heard Klipsch (Cornwalls and LaScalas) when I was stationed at Torrejon AB, Spain from 1978-81. Ahh the memories.

I will echo Whell's suggestion. I have my KG4s powered by and Adcom GFA 535 II and an Audire preamp and have used that in my bedroom with nice results (as long as I kept my head off the back wall...the bass was lost on the wall). Now they are down here in the computer room where I will be using them to monitor some mastering I need to do. It should be an interesting project...

BTW, thank you for your service to our country.

Ok, so I have a few potential receivers lined up that I can get that I am serious about.

*Denon DRA 825r, used, OK condition, no remote(i need a universal anyways), $150+35 shipping

*Denon DRA 835, used, includes remote & manual, great condition, $150+18 shipping

*Nakamichi TA-2, used, includes remote & manual, FULLY functional, $150 + ~$20 or so shipping.

I believe both of the Denons are of the early '90s vintage, the Nak is late '80's. I believe both of the Denons are 100 WPC, more than I would ever need for KG4s, and the Nak is 50 WPC. The Nak is older, but I keep hearing (reading) good things about the incorperated "STASIS" technology. Of these, what do you guys think would match best?

I am still considering an Adcom amp and a Preamp of one kind or another, but the cost is probably going to be double that of one of these receivers, I wonder what kind of performance/sound margin we are looking at though...Hmmmm.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Greetings,

I've tried three amps with my kg-4's with the following results:

*** Audio Note OTO SE: This single-ended tube amp is the best amp I've ever used - with the right speakers. Sadly, with the kg-4's I found it to be somewhat strained. (I'll be saving this amp for some 100-or-more dB efficient Klipsch speakers later on...)

*** Harmon Kardon 430: In the "bang-for-the-buck" department I think this receiver is hard to beat; however, I still found its 25 watts to be lacking the "oompf" to really take control. (I've since given this receiver to my buddy for his nephew's bedroom - I suspect it'll be perfect there...)

*** Marantz PM-74D: I thought this amp was the best of the three for these speakers; it drives the kg-4's with authority - even at low listening levels. Also, I find that its somewhat "mid-bass"-heavy sound balances well with the kg-4's voice, which to my ears is more extended on the bottom end but is slightly lean in the mid-bass region. Also, being part of Marantz's "Quarter-A" series, it runs the first 25% of its output in Class-A mode, which seems to reduce the graininess that I've heard in a lot of SS amps. (Remember - I'm still a frothing-at-the-mouth toob freak! 2.gif )

MARANTZ UPDATE: I have noticed, though, that the highs are more lacking than with the other two amps. Hmmmmmm........ The madness continues! 2.gif2.gif2.gif

Hope this helps ... and enjoy!

Take care,

Scott

----------------

On 10/17/2004 9:50:53 PM scotbuck wrote:

Greetings,

I've tried three amps with my kg-4's with the following results:

*** Audio Note OTO SE: This single-ended tube amp is the best amp I've ever used - with the right speakers. Sadly, with the kg-4's I found it to be somewhat strained. (I'll be saving this amp for some 100-or-more dB efficient Klipsch speakers later on...)

*** Harmon Kardon 430: In the "bang-for-the-buck" department I think this receiver is hard to beat; however, I still found its 25 watts to be lacking the "oompf" to really take control. (I've since given this receiver to my buddy for his nephew's bedroom - I suspect it'll be perfect there...)

*** Marantz PM-74D: I thought this amp was the best of the three for these speakers; it drives the kg-4's with authority - even at low listening levels. Also, I find that its somewhat "mid-bass"-heavy sound balances well with the kg-4's voice, which to my ears is more extended on the bottom end but is slightly lean in the mid-bass region. Also, being part of Marantz's "Quarter-A" series, it runs the first 25% of its output in Class-A mode, which seems to reduce the graininess that I've heard in a lot of SS amps. (Remember - I'm still a frothing-at-the-mouth toob freak!
2.gif
)

Hope this helps ... enjoy!

Take care,

Scott

----------------

I agree with scotbuck concerning Marantz. For the first year and a half with my KG4's I drove them with a Marantz 2220b (about $100). It drove the kg's well and sounded even better after I massaged its capacitors, yet you could tell it was a little strained. Later, I acquired a Marantz 2385 ($280) and it really asserted "authority". Yet the sound is still warm and clean, a trademark of the '70's era Marantz line. IMHO, something between a 2238 and a 2325 is a good bang for buck match for the KG-4.