Wow...

No Disc

three way speakers IMO sound better in the midrange area. But that is just personal opinion on sound.

----------------

However, most will agree that two-way systems are much better. Mainly because there are less components in the crossover networks and less phase shifts between the crossover frequencies and drivers.

I've heard excellent two and three way systems. I've also heard terrible two and three way systems. What it all boils down to is how the loudspeakers and crossover networks are designed, and making the right choices on matching the drivers together.

Although, I have always figured the simpler the design, the better. There's less chance of the original signal getting altered on its way to the drivers.
10.gif

A friend and I were discussing this awhile back. Why on earth would klipsch start making all 2-way???????????? I like my KLF 20s and at this point wouldnt dream of upgrading (for the lack of a better word) to the reference series. Dont get me wrong he has reference and they are good, but............

mudslinger...

----------------

On 5/11/2004 10:43:01 PM DeanG wrote:

Actually, I think all three-way horns are earbleeders -- which is why I use tube amps, mod crossovers, make sure the squawker is shooting over my head, and plug my ears with cotton.
2.gif

----------------

----------------

Actually, I think all three-way horns are earbleeders -- which is why I use tube amps, mod crossovers, make sure the squawker is shooting over my head, and plug my ears with cotton.
2.gif

----------------

Geez Dean! You spent a lot of cash just to end up using ear plugs! Have you modded your horns in any way yet?

"mudslinger..."

LOL, man, I just couldn't help it.

When dealing with the RF-7, I think it's best if the Heritage freaks quit looking at the missing horn -- and start listening to the damn speaker.

Gary -- well, I'm getting ready to build myself some really nice Type AAs, and I figure that should be pretty interesting. I'd love to do my AK-4s, but the last time I totalled up the parts list and costed everything out -- I started getting chest pains. I know I have to do it -- but it's just going to have to wait.

----------------

2.gif
----------------

That is kind of a hassle isn't it? 2.gif lol. Looking forward to meeting you in Indy.

----------------

On 5/11/2004 10:51:25 PM Bartdude wrote:

Well I liked this thread, it had real potential. Although I do think the Chops speaker could have used another horn somewhere near ear level, not ceiling (or attic) level.
----------------

Oh yeah... well.... umm......

The tweeter is ceiling loaded. Yeah, that's it! Just like the KHorns being corner loaded, but different. 3.gif

And if you or I took the time to try and figure out the dimentions to that speaker, I'm guessing it would be just under 9' tall. That would definately pose a problem for people who have 8' ceilings, like me. Man, that sucks.... That means I couldn't even listen to my own creation! LOL 9.gif

----------------

On 5/11/2004 11:14:50 PM chops wrote:

And if you or I took the time to try and figure out the dimentions to that speaker, I'm guessing it would be just under 9' tall. That would definately pose a problem for people who have 8' ceilings, like me. Man, that sucks.... That means I couldn't even listen to my own creation! LOL --------------

I'm taking time to try and figure out the Dementia to that speaker. 9.gif

----------------

On 5/11/2004 11:14:50 PM chops wrote:

And if you or I took the time to try and figure out the dimentions to that speaker, I'm guessing it would be just under 9' tall. That would definately pose a problem for people who have 8' ceilings, like me. Man, that sucks.... That means I couldn't even listen to my own creation! LOL
9.gif

----------------

No problem, they're balsa wood. Just sand the top down at a side angle then lean the speakers in a bit. Everyone knows that speakers over 8 feet tall sound better with the tweeter tilted in, ever so slightly. 9.gif

----------------

On 5/11/2004 9:53:04 PM chops wrote:

three way speakers IMO sound better in the midrange area. But that is just personal opinion on sound.
----------------

However, most will agree that two-way systems are much better. Mainly because there are less components in the crossover networks and less phase shifts between the crossover frequencies and drivers.

I've heard excellent two and three way systems. I've also heard terrible two and three way systems. What it all boils down to is how the loudspeakers and crossover networks are designed, and making the right choices on matching the drivers together.

Although, I have always figured the simpler the design, the better. There's less chance of the original signal getting altered on its way to the drivers.
10.gif

----------------

i would think it would be better to seperate the signal to more drivers, that way each driver is doing less work, thus less distortion. Thus the reason the invented subwoofers, and by-amping also. The less work each component of a system has to do the less stain and the better it does.

----------------

On 5/12/2004 8:08:45 AM dantfmly wrote:

i would think it would be better to seperate the signal to more drivers, that way each driver is doing less work, thus less distortion. Thus the reason the invented subwoofers, and by-amping also. The less work each component of a system has to do the less stain and the better it does.

----------------

That is absolutely correct. Making each driver do less work does help, but you have to remember.....

The crossover network has to be more complex, one sound is coming from several different drivers at slightly different distances, meaning there should be some kind of time alignment, either physical or electrical. Also, like I said earlier, there will be phase shifts at the crossover points, which only gets worse with a steeper crossover slope.

For those reason, that's why a lot of people prefer 2-way speakers over 3-ways.

AND, that's also why a lot of people prefer fullrange single-driver speakers. That way, you have no crossover, no phase shifts, no time alignment issues, and no other types of circuits between the amplifier and driver.

But, different strokes for different folks. 2.gif

The crossover network has to be more complex...

Well, it doesn't HAVE to be.

It isn't necessarily true that a two-way has a circuit less complex than a three-way -- since it really just depends on the design itself, and what issues the engineer chooses to address. The two-way RF-7 for example, has many more parts than many of the Klipsch crossovers used in their three-ways -- and I've seen some two-way crossovers that look like they were designed by NASA engineers on crack.

Another good example of how things can be handled differently is comparing something like the new AK-4 Klipschorn crossover designed by Ray Delgado, to the older Type A and AA crossovers designed by Paul Klipsch.

----------------

On 5/12/2004 11:51:05 AM picky-picky wrote:

Check it out! We just bought the new "Block-Party Reference" Models: 9.gif

"<ahttp://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/street party.jpg"<

----------------

[/blockquote>

WAY TO GO PICKY LETS GET DOWN!!!9.gif]

----------------

On 5/11/2004 2:27:10 PM TBrennan wrote:

Piranha--A pal of mine has KLF-20s and I think they're very good speakers.

I think of the KLFs as the last Klipsch speakers in which we see the stamp of PWK. I think of the KLFs as updated Cornwalls using a pair of smaller woofers instead of a single larger one so the box can be narrow, that seems important to the market today.

----------------

i absolutely LOVE my KLF-30's!!

i have to modify one i just got as a center channel to go between my other two9.gif w/ksp-s6's as rears and a RSW-15 as my sub,it rocks!!

when i get the living room setup(once the floor goes in)i'll have all-heritage in there(2-cornwalls/3-heresys)

avman.