Klipsch RF-5 vs RF-35, worth the extra $330?

Thasp

Klipsch floorstanders are some of the speakers I am considering out of a batch of brands. I tried the SF-3 in a very bad setup, and was still amazed, so the reference series are an option. :)

There's a deal where I can get the RF-35 for $660 a pair, and the RF-5 for $990. Are the RF-5s worth the $330 more, and are they noticeably better? I read a few reviews saying the jump to the RF-5 from the RF-35 wasn't worth it, and to just go directly to the RF-7 if you want a real difference for your money. Yet the RF-7 are way out of the price range. All I noticed different on the RF-5s were the 25 watts more power handling, but with the 98 dB sensetivity, I doubt I'll ever push them past 80 watts.

$1000 a pair is the limit, but I wouldn't want to spend another $330 for almost nothing just because it's allowed in the budget. Thanks! :)

Wow. I thought the retail on those was $1500?

The closest authorized dealer here is in New Jersey and I'm in NY - and they sell the RF-3(old model) for $800/pair, so authorized dealers were out for me. They don't even have the whole reference series in stock, 6th Avenue Electronics. J&R has it for $1500 a pair. Where did you get such a deal?! No fair. :(

Anyway, are they a lot better than the RF-35, or just a little?

tHASP,

I think you miss read his post..........he was speaking of the RF 5 (Five's).........for 750. You are correct that the 7's are about 1,500.00.

You are on the correct path though...........get the RF 35's and save up to later on purchase the RF 7's.................. Good Luck!

Nope, I'm talking about the RF-5s. I've seen those for $1500/pair RETAIL, and the RF-7s for $2200 RETAIL. Retail being J&R and some other sites with prices. I've seen deals where I can get the RF-5 for $990/pair and the RF-7 for $1500/pair.

I wouldn't do any upgrades, except buy a subwoofer, for a long time(ie, a decade or so from now). This would be it for now.

I've had the 7's for a few years and never really thought about 5' but my dealer in IN which I deal with alot had the 5's at a great price and 1 yr same as cash,I couldn't resist.I was quite surprised how good the 5's sound,I expected less when looking at my 7's then the 5's but the sound was not as different as the size.

----------------

On 5/22/2004 4:09:51 PM Thasp wrote:

Uhhh.. amp power?
3.gif

----------------

dudewheresmycar.jpg

We will now use the power of the Continuum Transfunctioner

to banish you to Hoboken, New Jersey!

If you can really get the RF-5 for only that much more, than that's the speaker you should buy -- epsecially considering it will be you last purchase for a while.

The speakers are quite a bit different actually, and the RF-5 kind of cranks things up a notch.

The RF-5 gives you real wood veneer instead of vinyl.

It is an inch taller.

The horn is 8", instead of 6".

It is a bit more sensitive.

Crosses over 100 cycles lower.

Weighs 6 lbs. more.

I'd go RF-5's. Many people who own RF-3's/35's aren't willing to accept the fact that there is a significant difference between the two it seems. I own RF-5's combined with an RSW-15 subwoofer...I find the combo stunning. I know a few people who have upgraded from RF-3's to RF-5's and said it's night and day, I also know a few who own both and say the same thing.

Could anyone describe this 'night' as it compares to 'day' when contrasting a pair of RF-3's/35's with RF-5's?

I know the tweeter and horn are larger in the 5's, and as a result there is a difference in the crossovers.. but the difference couldn't be just the sheer amount you get in the high end, right..? Because my ears think the 3's have enough there. Any more (to me) would be piercing. The woofers appear to be the same or at least similar. And even though the 5's are taller, the 3's have more cabinet volume going for them.

I dunno.. I never really auditioned the 5's that much. I heard the 7's and was impressed, but they were a bit out of my budget for what I wanted to do so I ended up buying two sets of RF-3's

I had always heard the 5's were sort of the "odd speaker out" in the Reference line.. that one should either stick to the value of the 3's (in their day) or 35's (today) if your focus was on the best bang for the buck.. or step up the 7's if you really wanted to go all-out. (And this is NOT intended to be a knock on those that own 5's)

If you're considering aesthetics, the 5's do have real veneer finish going for them.

I'm curious as well. I expect to see some real deals on the 5's here locally soon. And if it was a substantial upgrade (whatever it might be) maybe I'd consider it as well if the deal was right.

The difference between the RF3 and rf5 is the opposite of what you might first thing given the bigger horn.

I had a demo of each before i choose the 5's and found that the bigger horn actually makes the the high end less piercing. I found that when the 3's were cranked up they had a harsher sound then the 5's. not sure why, and this is just my opinion. and although the extra 3hz of bass extension doesn;t seem like much it seemed to me that the 5's had a much more robust low end. certainly not as much low end as the 7's but a very pleasing balance overall. the amp was a denon 5803

the RF-5's larger horn does not equate to a stronger mid range and highs, most describe the difference as a smoother midrange and high end, and in general smoother presentation over all and NOT a boost in the mids and highs. the crossover difference between the two speakers does make a difference, and one that can easily be heard. also, the larger horn allows for superior imaging and sound stage.

As little as my opinion my mean, I thought the RF-35's sounded better than the RF-5's, although the RF-5's blew the RF-3II's out of the water. That's why I bought the RF-35's instead of the RF-5's. I realize it defies all logic, seeing as the RF-5's are larger in component and cabinet size, are a level up, and of course, are more expensive...though that might not always equate to "better."

nicholtl,

Since you compared the two directly, how did the 5's exceed the 3's?

Sorry.. don't want to hijack this thread.. I'm just curious because maybe I'll want to sell my 3's and pick up a pair of 5's when they come down a little in price here locally.

Thanks.

I read if it means anything. The lower the upper crossover is the better the dispersion. That will give a better soundstage and not so beamy. Without a doubt go with the 5's if you can get a good deal just for the wood and the crossover. Let alone the horn being bigger with probally even ad to the soundstage. IF you plan on keeping em forever then you will be happy you went with the nice wood finish. I know i would.

----------------

On 5/24/2004 4:42:30 PM Roscoe wrote:

The difference between the RF3 and rf5 is the opposite of what you might first thing given the bigger horn.

I had a demo of each before i choose the 5's and found that the bigger horn actually makes the the high end less piercing. I found that when the 3's were cranked up they had a harsher sound then the 5's. not sure why, and this is just my opinion. and although the extra 3hz of bass extension doesn;t seem like much it seemed to me that the 5's had a much more robust low end. certainly not as much low end as the 7's but a very pleasing balance overall. the amp was a denon 5803

----------------

my experience exactly.

avman.