A Bose that doesn't blose

Went to my favorite fajita eatery tonight and they had live entertainment. One guy with a microphone, an accoustical guitar and a small effects generator sitting on a bar stool. He had it all going into a 6 foot tall speaker that sat abuot 3' to the side and about 2' behind him, about 4" diameter and a sub-box that was a little larger than a gym bag. It sounded great. He said they cost about $2000 and a lot of small bands playing for 50-500 people are using them as the only speakers. Each band member has one. That way, all the band can hear each other without monitors and when one guy solo's, the sound comes from him instead of the tower of speakers that would normally be on each side of the stage. Really neat setup. I was impressed. Here is a link to the Bose site. http://tinyurl.com/yqhnw

yeah, the bose pro stuff does a pretty good job on stage....

but the professional products follow the same pattern as the consumer products..... overpriced for what you get compared to the competition....

your 5 piece band needs to spend $10,000 for this system????

a mid-line jbl or electrovoice system will do the same job for about 1/4 the cost of the bose..... maybe not as pretty as this new thing from bose but it will sound as good if not better......

additionally.... there are going to be tons of feedback issues with all your speakers behind everyone..... at least with all the vocalists... you cannot change the laws of acoustics just because your name is bose....

2.gif

I agree Artto. I was impressed that it sounded as good as it did considering the size. It didn't go really low and it didn't go really high, but for male vocals and a six string guitar, it did pretty good. It wasn't as clean and clear as my Horns but it was still impressive. The whole thing wasn't much larger than a couple of guitar cases. Very portable and ideal for the type music and venue the guy was playing. Just call me deaf and impressed. PS, I'm not selling my horns.

Yeah, I hear ya. I play pro too. I've seen & heard those things at Guitar Center. IMHO they suck. Especially considering, at $1700 (including the discount) it's kind of pricey. And what does an acoustic guitar need a sub for anyway?

On another one of their "systems", Bose basically took the 901 & turned it around so the 8 tiny drivers faced the "audience" & called it the 802. For some reason Amar Bose thinks these pieces of crap are capable of "sound reinforcement". On Musicians Friend.com users have given it a 3 star rating (3 out of 10 possible). That speaks for itself. And that Acoustimass subwoofer of theirs. What a joke. Should have been called "Acoustimess".

----------------

On 5/22/2004 11:40:40 PM minn_male42 wrote:

a mid-line jbl or electrovoice system will do the same job for about 1/4 the cost of the bose..... maybe not as pretty as this new thing from bose but it will sound as good if not better......

----------------

Last weekend, at my friends wedding, we had a Jazz pianist come in with is Korg digital piano and play tunes during the dinner part of the reception. He was an excellent player, very talented.

He had with him one of those Fender Passport P-150 systems. Nice small setup and it sounded excellent, and at a 1/3 of the price of those Bose setups. Now, I've never heard the Bose cylinder speaker, but I cannot imagine that would be any better than something like that Fender setup. I'll have to reserve judegment until I actually get a chance to hear one. But still, it goes to show that there are plenty of other small, portable PA systems that sound quite good for less the price.

The Bose may sound good, but does it sound $1,600 good? Just like thier home speakers. Yeah, thier LifeStyle 35 setup may look sleek and sound pretty decent, but it sure as hell don't sound $2,800 decent.

----------------

On 5/23/2004 11:15:18 AM skonopa wrote:

----------------

On 5/22/2004 11:40:40 PM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

Last weekend, at my friends wedding, we had a Jazz pianist come in with is Korg digital piano and play tunes during the dinner part of the reception. He was an excellent player, very talented.

He had with him one of those
systems. Nice small setup and it sounded excellent, and at a 1/3 of the price of those Bose setups. Now, I've never heard the Bose cylinder speaker, but I cannot imagine that would be any better than something like that Fender setup. I'll have to reserve judegment until I actually get a chance to hear one. But still, it goes to show that there are plenty of other small, portable PA systems that sound quite good for less the price.

The Bose may sound good, but does it sound $1,600 good? Just like thier home speakers. Yeah, thier LifeStyle 35 setup may look sleek and sound pretty decent, but it sure as hell don't sound $2,800 decent.

----------------

the fender passport systems are really great for the price... the P-150 goes for under $400 street price and includes a mixer, amplifier, two speakers, 2 mics, and all the cables......

it is a stereo setup so you can plug in a cd player for breaks between sets.....

they also have a P-250 and P-250 pro.....more inputs, more power and upgraded speakers..... great sound and value all around.....

(i use to sell these units at the distributor level)

1.gif

This isn't really much different than getting a small Mackie/Yamaha/Peavey box mixer/amp with a small pair of speakers. Nice that it all fits together in a neat little portable package though. Sometimes you just don't need something big to haul around. A friend of mine used a powered monitor with a small mixer. For a couple of acoustic guitars and vocals, the thing did wonders, and was cake to set up.

Marvel

My biggest problem with the new bose system is the fact that the electronics and amp moduel sit on the floor with the input jacks facing up. I think just one spilled beer would tost the whole sytem. I thought that alone made it a toy that costs way to much.

The selling point Bose makes is that the sound volume dosn't change through out the room. who how they do that.

----------------

On 5/23/2004 10:28:38 PM khorn58 wrote:

The selling point Bose makes is that the sound volume dosn't change through out the room. who how they do that.

----------------

They're lying.

Artto... Wow not even April fools and we agree 100%.

Get a small good Mackie amp, a good clean 100 watt amp and a pair Heresies or if bigger is needed La Scalas... Will blow this system with depth and realism let alone clarity too, away!

The only reason to have use/ have this type of setup is if your a solo act or duo say with guitars and a small / van - mid sized car, and you have a good portable P.A. yes. It is cool. Not $1,700.00 cool with other better sounding options.. but cool.

I should think this arrangement could cause all sorts of balancing problems - wouldn't people seated near stage right, for example, hear a lot more of whatever instrument they are sitting near and less of whatever's on stage left? Wouldn't it be hard for the band members to hear each other, unless everything was linked together? Wouldn't linking everything together excite the interest of the ground-loop demon? I can see this working ok for a solo or duo - maybe a trio in small venues tops, but it seems anything larger would develop more problems with this than would be solved.

We use one of those Fender systems. It is a creditable performer for the price - especially when you replace the microphones with AKGs and the speakers with Heresies!2.gif

A story I've told here before. When I was a tech. director for a 1200 seat auditorium, we had a performer come through with his new Bose 800 / Crown DC-300a system. We offered him the use of our house system, which at the time consisted of stacked LaScalas. He was certain his would sound better, but, in the interest of science, agreed to compare the two. We set it up so we could switch between the two systems, and he began to play. We saw him sag a little bit the first time we went from the Klipsches to the Bose, and watched as he tried to see if anything had suddenly gone wrong with his system. After about five minutes of going back and forth, one of my students came sidling up to me and said "You're really rubbing his face in it, aren't you?" He was right, of course, and I am a little ashamed of myself now, but, I did have the ears of the audience to think of. It should be pointed out too, that, after that, whenever he came back, he never bothered to unpack the Bose. 11.gif