HT without center???

dr-dezibel

Setting up a ht is no simple thing!

As you see below i own a pair of heresys (bought only 1 1/2 year ago). I planned to go with a reference 35 set.

But happy with the sound of the heresys (better than the rf35 except the lack of bass) i would want to keep them and set up a ht around them.

Problem: Center! (placement of a 3rd heresy or find another matching center)

Now that i watched several movies and concert dvds i found that a center is not really necessary as long as i sit in the sweet spot.

So I would only need a good sub (ksw15?) and rears.

What do you think about that? Would this be a good setup or should i go with a ref35 set as i planned?

You are fine, good doctor! No center is fine. As you add surround/sub speakers, most prepros/recievers have a "phantom" or "no center" mode as well, so you can have the two Heresys do the job of three. You may add the appropriate center (a Heresy, ideally) in the distant future (maybe in another dwelling or arrangement), but as you already hear, you can enjoy it as is, too. The sub will solve the lack of bass, and you will still have the otherwise excellent Heresy performance.

IMO - it is better to have two superior (or just preferred) mains as front soundstage than three inferior (or less preferred) mains as front soundstage - even with a matching center. If you like the Heresys better, and were only switching because you can fit the RC series center to get a "matched three", don't worry about it. If you liked the RF better, that's different, but don't ditch the Heresys just because of the center issue.

I could/ would if I knew you better/ Should say suck it up and go with three across. Heresies or RB 35's. The key is to have a great match. I would stay away from the KSW subs.. The newer RS and RSW lines (front ported and Reference lines are much superior...) With a 12 inch on the heresies even smaller on the 35's, a 12 inch sub would be fine as well.

Be forewarned.. Either way, the Heritage line or Newer stuff... After you audition it in your house... say a great 5.1 or 7.1 system, it will blow you away and you will be hooked!!

The center channel really isn't necessary for home theater in many cases assuming you have your levels set right and you are using the phantom center mode on your receiver. It is convenient though. No question that the sound will be coming from when it should.

FWIW I ran without a center for a long time and found it perfectly acceptable.

OK phantom mode is nice but I found I preferred a center even a lesson center as a time filler. In some cases up to 70% of the movie soundtrack is played through the center channel so IMO it is a critical component in order to get a properly balanced, calibrated HT. You could consider an Academy center if you can find one but they are pretty pricey on e-bay. I agree the best option is to make your front array as close to identical as possible. You could get another Heresy but you would have to solve the placement issue. They were designed to stand vertical not horizontal although I have read a number of posts where people who have tried a horizontal Heresy center and really liked it. As for me I would place it vertical below the TV set if you can, but angle it up. Next vertical above the TV angled down, I would also try to lower the TV to keep the center speaker as close to the same sound plane as your mains. You would have to try the different options to see what you like no way around that.

J,

Good advice, but if you want to make and keep friends, please don't recommend buying an Academy as a good match for Heresies. I had an Academy between Heresies, and I put the Academy away. The Heresies are better off without it.

Now Chorus and Forte types are another story. 9.gif

Thanx all for your replies!

JTS8 brought me to the idea to go with my heresys, but i have no room for the center-heresy - maybe later?

Upgrading step by step maybe the better way to get an impressive HT than go for the cheaper reference series models.

What sub do you recommend?

I would think the RSW-12 would do you fine, if you want to stay with Klipsch. I've owned a few subs (including the KSW-15) and really like the RSW-12. A lot of people on this board love the SVS subs. Haven't heard those myself, but reviews are outstanding, especially for the money.

"J,

Good advice, but if you want to make and keep friends, please don't recommend buying an Academy as a good match for Heresies. I had an Academy between Heresies, and I put the Academy away. The Heresies are better off without it.

Now Chorus and Forte types are another story."

Was not aware I was making or losing friends. Hmmm I guess some of my posts in the general forum awhile back may well have taken me off of the Christmas mailing list again. I hate it when I do that.11.gif Yeah I know Forte's and Choruss are a much better match to the Academy, I was just thinking of his placement problem. The obvious choice is the Heresy thus keeping the timbre match solid.

It's definitely livable. I am probally going to do the same thing (maybe i love my setup). Even though i have a whole theater setup. I am looking for the best two channel i can get for my money. Along with still having surrounds. I sit in the sweet spot almost 100% of the time. Actuallly it may sound better because i don't have seperates for home theater. It give more punch to the sound. However of to the side it sucks hearing the left or right speaker.

----------------

On 5/24/2004 8:21:19 PM J.4knee wrote:

Was not aware I was making or losing friends. Hmmm I guess some of my posts in the general forum awhile back may well have taken me off of the Christmas mailing list again. I hate it when I do that.
11.gif
Yeah I know Forte's and Choruss are a much better match to the Academy, I was just thinking of his placement problem. The obvious choice is the Heresy thus keeping the timbre match solid.

----------------

Well, I only meant that if you recommended I spend a few hundred bucks on that Academy to match the Heresies, I'd be wondering "What'd I ever to to him?" Placement-wise, sure, the Academy works. Sound-wise, the Heresies are way too hot for an Academy to match. If a center is a must, you're dead on with recommending a third Heresy, and if placement is a problem for that, scavenging eBay for parts and getting out the ruler and saw is the next best bet. IMO and all that. 1.gif

There's a Christmas list?

An HT without a Center is like a hand without a thumb. It will work but it will be a big compromise since 80% or more of the content comes from the Center speaker! I would not call it a HT without a Center, I would call it an enhanced 2-Channel setup.

frzn...

sorry, your views are a little extreme.

In my understanding the main purpose of a center to give you a better soundstage when youre not sitting in the sweet spot because the voices are better located to the screen.

But no sound will be lost when you have no center. As long as you sit in the sweet spot and your speakers are not too far apart voices are also located in the middle (to the screen).

I found out that having no center is better than having a bad center. Looks like many people agree.

Nonsense! If I have a DVD playing and I remove the speaker inputs on my center channel I get NO Dialogue at all and only ambient dialogue from the mains. If you are happy with your HT the way you have it that is great! However, this is not how it was designed to be. You are compromising big time! DVD's and DVD-A's are mixed in multi channel and dependent on a center channel being present, you are missing alot of information in your current compromised setup but if you are happy with it that is all that really matters. I have the opposite thought, I would rather have a crappy center than none at all and I have Khorns! You can lead them to water but you can't make them drink.

Setting up a ht is no simple thing! Really???

=====================================================

Actually setting it up isn't that hard,... Seriously!

Now building a perfect room with perfect equipment to achieve nirvana.... Thats another story.

Most people in their Family rooms, with a little tweeking, can have incredible results. Don't psyche yourself out!! Go 4 it!

And yes, you STILL need a center. Your just kidding yourself if you do not have a center and sub.

"Nonsense! If I have a DVD playing and I remove the speaker inputs on my center channel I get NO Dialogue at all and only ambient dialogue from the mains. If you are happy with your HT the way you have it that is great!"

Frizn -

If the pre/pro or receiver is set as "no center" or "phantom", the center signal will be present through the mains. When you pull the plug on the center, the pre is still sending center signal out through the center channel, but has no speaker to play it through. If you switched the pre to "no center", that would be a better basis of comparison of the differences between having the proper center, and just using two mains.

I don't see the absence of a center as being a problem, although a MATCHING center is preferable. IMO "no center" is better than a mismatched center.

If your mains are capable, the only problem with the phantom center is that the sweet spot is usually too narrow. The purpose of a center channel is to anchor the dialog to the screen for folks that sit off axis, i.e., out of the sweet spot.

If I always sat in the sweet spot, I would use the 2 RF-7s and omit the use of RC-7.

Bill