help picking a flat screen

sdfan

Being I'm not much into the video end of things, Iwas wondering if anybody could recommend a flat screen tv. Its for my father in laws birthday. He's absolutely insistent on a flat screen vs. projection. We're looking for 36" or bigger in the $1500 range. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I'd try to talk him into a DLP (Samsung) or even one of the Grand Wegas from Sony. You won't get screen edge convergence problems with either (known problem for projection units). Of course you'd have to change the bulb every year and a half or so, but some consider that a benefit - refreshing your picture with every new bulb. If CRT is a must, I think Sony's are still the best.

I'm looking to get the 60" Grand Wega from Sony, or I'll wait til end of the year for a new product from Sony. I don't recall the name of it, but it's basically a piece of glass that works as a screen for a projector. The glass is not retractable, but it will display the projected image so bright that no light management (window screens) will be necessary. I got this from a marketing person at Sony. And surprisingly, it won't be a huge cha-ching factor.

Of course you'd have to change the bulb every year and a half or so, but some consider that a benefit - refreshing your picture with every new bulb.

???

the bulbs are rated for 6000 or 8000+ hours from everything i've heard. i don't think every year will be necessary...

36" FD Trinitron® WEGA® TV

KV-36FS210 - $1100

My friend has this one, its awesome.

Only thing hat pisses me off , is TV's still come with speakers. I can understand why small TV's do. But why in the world to big ones? Anyone who has one of those has a HT and if they dont they wasted that TV.

----------------

On 5/26/2004 9:01:02 PM 007 wrote:

Only thing hat pisses me off , is TV's still come with speakers. I can understand why small TV's do. But why in the world to big ones? Anyone who has one of those has a HT and if they don’t they wasted that TV.

----------------

Well, to be fair, not everyone has a HT setup. Some people are happy just to have their big screen (probably only a small ratio, but there are still many)... Besides, I think any decent television comes with the option to shut off the internal speakers.

----------------

On 5/26/2004 10:55:02 PM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

----------------

On 5/26/2004 9:01:02 PM 007 wrote:

Only thing hat pisses me off , is TV's still come with speakers. I can understand why small TV's do. But why in the world to big ones? Anyone who has one of those has a HT and if they don’t they wasted that TV.

----------------

Well, to be fair, not everyone has a HT setup. Some people are happy just to have their big screen (probably only a small ratio, but there are still many)... Besides, I think any decent television comes with the option to shut off the internal speakers.

----------------

My 27" JVC has a 'sound off' option (not mute, but disable sound)

Trust me, most people who buy a big screen do NOT use a home theater system. That is sad.

I know, but it just seems like something extra you have to pay for that you don't necessarily want. Why should I have to pay extra for crappy speakers I dont want because not everyone has HTs? The most expensive TVs should be sold as components. And generally the plasmas dont have speakers which is good.

I have a big screen and I use my built in speakers. Most of my tv watching is useing the built in speakers. I use the HT for movies and sports only. I am not going to waste the ht for tv or chick flicks.

If you want a tube tv than you have to go wega. They have the best tube tv. If you want a rear projection than look at Hitachi, Mit., or pioneer. They are the best.

Hi sdfan:

By coinsidence, I've recently done quite a bit of research on the subject of televisions, I learned that CRT's are still the best in the buisness, their only drawback, a major one, is weight.

Sony's KV40XBR800 is the Cat's Meow, it is discontinued, but since it was only recently discontinued you can still find them. It origionally sold for $3200, but can be had for under $2000. I just bought one, and it should be here in a few days. $1890.00 less tax is the deal I got.

Here's a good site to learn the pros and cons about HDTV's.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_1_1/v1n1tv.html#High%20Definition%20Television

Just to throw my two cents in. I also did quite a bit of research

on displays. Gilbert is correct, no matter what review you read, the

Direct View CRT's are the standard in which every other type of display

is measureed and falls short of. Yes they do weigh quite a bit, however,

in the two years i have owned the 40" i have not needed to move it so

it's a non issue in that regards.

Are CRT televisions marketed as CRT's or is there another name for it, could someone give me an example of a CRT TV. I'm looking at the 70' Grand WEGA from Sony and it looks impressive (unsure if its CRT, doubt it) considering retail is only $7000 it is much less expensive than plasma that are even smaller.

70 foot! Damn, that would be impressive! :)

Seriously, check out Mitsubishi before you buy. I've found Mitsu video products to be on par, if not superior to, Sony, for a lower price.

----------------

On 6/3/2004 10:52:37 AM skillet2003 wrote:

Are CRT televisions marketed as CRT's or is there another name for it, could someone give me an example of a CRT TV. I'm looking at the 70' Grand WEGA from Sony and it looks impressive (unsure if its CRT, doubt it) considering retail is only $7000 it is much less expensive than plasma that are even smaller.

----------------

I have looked at Mitsubishi but I only see a 65' and 82' tv prices are $3,700 to $15,500 respectively. I think I would like something inbetween the two. They use to make a 72' for the same price as the new 70' from Sony if not a little bit cheaper but are no longer made (only 2002-2003), I think you can still buy it, but I think that would be a bad idea since they no longer made.

I may be a new to audio, what when it comes to TV's I've done my homework.

I would agree with those that said a CRT (aka Picture Tube aka Direct View) is the best picture bar none. There is only one way to go and that is SONY XBR end of story.

However, I noticed that you are looking at TV's significantly larger than 40" so the Grand Wega or Samsung DLP would be ok (I mean just ok). Personally I have the Sony 30" Wega XBR 16:9 and I got it with the stand for $1500 + TAX which is a great deal. Go to a store preferably a SONY store and check them out - they are absolutely beautiful.

As people have mentioned they are heavy, but if you can afford a TV that nice pay for movers who are insured and bonded in case anything happens.

-- KV-40XBR800 40-inch FD Trinitron® WEGA® XBR® Hi-Scan TV

-- KV-34XBR910 34-inch 34" 16:9 XBR® FD Trinitron® WEGA® Television TV

-- KV-30XBR910 30-inch 16:9 XBR® FD Trinitron® WEGA® Television TV

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=mN4Joypy1UIJ2WrNxwEDqGV_B6X2XOrkJx8=?CategoryName=tv_36%22to40%22TVs_XBR%2836%22to40%22%29&Dept=tv

Hey rsarma,

Yeah I'm looking into something around 70' so I thought of that Sony and it is in the XBR class I believe(just not a tube but 3 lcd panels i think), could you tell me what you think about this tv? If you know of a tv about this size with excellent image quality let me know, thanks.

link:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=mN4Joypy1UIJ2WrNxwEDqGV_B6X2XOrkJx8=?CategoryName=tv_WEGAShowcase_WEGAShop_GrandWEGA&ProductSKU=KDF70XBR950&Dept=tv&Boutique=wega