Klipschorns - Rosewood Lacquer For Sale

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/26/2004 9:42:58 PM DeanG wrote:

Hey, you got to hear the Mambo integrated didn't you? What did you think?
----------------

The Mambo is an AWESOME little integrated (actually, not so little). I think I'd like it more if it weren't made in China. It kinda' bugs me politically and, consequently, I have a hard time enjoying it.

The built-in DAC is fabulous. I bought it from a friend of mine who is a dealer and we A/B'd it against his Music Hall Maverick cd player which retails for more than the Mambo. We both agree that the DAC in the Mambo is better than that in the Maverick. And with the Mambo, the DAC is just kind of a "freebie". Not too shabby.

You gotta' love the metal remote and the sheer heft of the Mambo (50lbs). And 50wpc of pure class A ain't too bad either driving the ultra-efficient Klipschorns/Belles.

But now you are running the sweet little Anthem? Which version of the Anthem are you running? The older one with 25 watts, or the later version with more power? I guess what I want to know is how the unit stacks up to some of the tubed units you've owned?

----------------

On 5/26/2004 9:59:49 PM DeanG wrote:

But now you are running the sweet little Anthem? Which version of the Anthem are you running? The older one with 25 watts, or the later version with more power? I guess what I want to know is how the unit stacks up to some of the tubed units you've owned?
----------------

Well...I'm kind of a tube guy, so it stacks up very well (caveat) for solid state. The Anthem is exactly that...SWEET. It's not overly euphonic like a lot of tube gear, but it's articulate and detailed. I really like it. I do need to replace the output tubes (8 EL84s!) which I believe are original and are probably close to toast!

Anthem made the Integrated 1 and Integrated 2. One didn't replace the other. They were both contemporaneous. The Integrated 1 is an ALL tube integrated (13 tubes). The Integrated 2 is a tube/ss hybrid. It just uses 2 12AT7s in the preamp section and MOSFET outputs (90 watts per channel). I owned the Integrated two a couple of years ago thought it to be pretty good. It drove a pair of Spica TC-60s in a small bedroom system.

Compared to other tube equipment that I've owned, the Anthem is fabulous if you've got speakers that are efficient enough - which we do! I wouldn't say it's comparable to some of the Audio Research amps that I've owned, but then those were much more expensive and much higher output. Hard to compare.

I really want to get a nice SET Integrated. I thought that I was going to win an auction for an Audio Note Soro SE a couple of weeks ago, but somebody stepped in and outbid me at the last minute.

I'll put it this way...for the $500 I paid for the Anthem - it's a total bargain. I saw one last week on AudiogoN for $400!! That's just a steal! The older Anthem stuff is EXTREMELY well built (made by Sonic Frontiers of Canada). I'm a big fan of Sonic Frontiers and Audio Research who use modern design concepts and push the state of the "tube" art. As opposed to some of the more euphonic sounding gear like Conrad Johnson, Cary, etc..

Or one of you considering Rose's may want to think about these stunners:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5701923398&rd=1

Just so happens that I saw these in person yesterday evening while there to pick up a khorn bass horn and 511b. This is the same guy I recently purchased a '53 Khorn single from about 2 weeks ago. These Rosies are in perfect condition. Perfect. $2450 BIN ain't bad. I can personally guarantee the operation and condition of these beauties (for what my guarantee is worth :)).

They appear to be ~'87's - whatever the first year of s/n's without the letter are.

WOW! Two pairs of very nice Rosewood Khorns for sale at the same time. Good find Edward, I can't believe somebody hasn't bit on BIN yet. If I had the cash, I would buy them in a second. They are ultimately what I want, and within road trip distance. Arggggh!

-PB

....and on the type label, I inspected it closely in person, it had some fading that came across in the pics poorly. In any event, I don't see them listed this AM so he - Greg's his name - must have got a BIN. Hopefully, not another far east sale. I'll give the guy a ring and let you folks know if there was anything special about the deal.

----------------

On 5/28/2004 11:53:50 AM Piranha wrote:

I wish I would have seen these on eBay last night. I would be driving up to No Cal today if I had.
8.gif

----------------

So Piranha - Are you saying that if I offered you a cash & carry price of $2,500 on my rosewood K-horns, I'd see you this weekend? Let's talk.

Also, I'm not totally convinced that the "BR" designation on some of the Klipsch models actually refers to "Brazilian" rosewood. There was another post awhile back where (I believe it was Andy) it was indicated that the "BR" meant that the rosewood was from an alternate source. I believe up through the '70s rosewood automatically implied brazilian rosewood. Yes, no? Anyone have the DEFINITIVE answer.

All I know is that the pair on Ebay sure didn't look like high-quality rosewood to me. I think mine are WAY prettier. They also have the AA networks instead of the later, less desirable AKs.

----------------

On 5/29/2004 12:05:51 AM gullahisland wrote:

...Are you saying that if I offered you a cash & carry price of $2,500 on my rosewood K-horns, I'd see you this weekend? Let's talk.

----------------

Gullahisland: Does this mean what it sounds like, that you would take $2500 for them?

----------------

On 6/5/2004 2:16:20 AM JMON wrote:

----------------

On 5/29/2004 12:05:51 AM gullahisland wrote:

...Are you saying that if I offered you a cash & carry price of $2,500 on my rosewood K-horns, I'd see you this weekend? Let's talk.

----------------

Gullahisland: Does this mean what it sounds like, that you would take $2500 for them?

----------------

Last weekend, if Pirahna came to my house and picked them up, I would have considered doing exactly that. He contacted me privately, but decided not to take me up on it.

I've got a LOT of people inquiring about them - including "thethirdleg", but my $2,750 cash price is truly for a local buyer who comes and picks them up BEFORE the bidding exceeds my offer. "thethirdleg" resides in Singapore.

As of yet, no LOCAL buyer has taken me up on it. I thought that I'd made it clear to thethirdleg that distant buyers will need to place their bid and arrange for packaging and shipping them if they win.

The bidding will almost CERTAINLY exceed $3,000 but I'd really rather just keep things simple. Coordinating the logistics of having a buyers' agent come to my house, etc. is just not what I'd like to spend my time doing.

By the same token, if I have to do such coordination, then I'd just as soon let the auction run on Ebay and sell them to the high bidder.

Finally, I would be happy to deliver them to someone in Northern California for $100 (the approximate cost of fuel for my Suburban).

Questions, comments, please feel free.