Klipschorns - Rosewood Lacquer For Sale

As many of you know, I have recently acquired TWO pair of Klipschorns (and need only one) and am also purchasing a pair of Belles this weekend.

I've been wrestling with which pair of K-horns to keep, but have decided that, as beautiful as the rosewood is, I would like to move forward with my original plan to refurbish (including new walnut veneer) my birch "c" model Klipschorns.

Selling the rosewood K-horns will go a long way in raising capital for an all-out upgrade of the birch pair. I'm thinking oiled walnut veneer (thanks JorJen) with cane grills, ALK crossovers, the whole works!

1977 Klipschorn KB-RL with "AA" networks in EXCELLENT condition.

Offering first to the forum for $3,000.

Delivery is free in Northern California. Willing to ship if you make arrangements and are willing to assume the risk.

My hunch is that these would go north of $3K on Ebay pretty easily. Walnut K's are going for $2,100-2,500. Can't remember the last time I saw a pair in rosewood.

Pictures can be seen here: http://home.earthlink.net/~hirschler/rosewoodklipschornpictures/id1.html

I can send as many additional photos as you wish. Feel free to PM or call with questions. 209.740.8864.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'm really confused!

You are buying Belles, I thought I saw a pair of Belles in the picture that posted.

What are you trying to achieve? (i.e. - What do you want to end up with?) And yes giving up the Rosewood Khorns looks to me to be a step down to anything that you might aquire.

No, he moved the Belle Klipsch's out in favor of the Rosewood Klipschorns, which he bought because they were such a great find -- and would give him something to listen to while he worked on the other ones.

----------------

On 5/26/2004 5:41:36 PM DeanG wrote:

No, he moved the Belle Klipsch's out in favor of the Rosewood Klipschorns, which he bought because they were such a great find -- and would give him something to listen to while he worked on the other ones.

----------------

The Belles in the photo were my in-laws. I sold them to HornEd back in February. I liked them so much that I decided to set out to find another pair. Meanwhile, I told my wife about the K-horns and she thought they were a great idea since they fit snugly into the corners of the room.

I found a pair of Birch Klipschorns and bought them with the intention of refurbishing them. Meanwhile, I had the opportunity to purchase the rosewood pair. I bought them figuring that I'd keep one pair and sell the other.

I've now decided to keep the birch pair. My hunch is that they'll be "out of commission" for a while. I bought the Belles for two reasons. 1) It makes it more palatable for me to take some time to re-do the birch Klipschorns. In other words, I still get to have a pair of Klipsch to listen to. 2) I just LOVE the Belles. I think they're flat sexy. I love their appearance as well as their sound. Not quite as "big" as the Klipschorns, but VERY fast and articulate.

I think this is called "having your cake and eating it, too"!

Besides, when I refinish the birch Klipschorns, it's going to be in Oiled Walnut. The Belles that I'm buying are also Oiled Walnut. Perhaps I'll have the makings of a VERY cool, matching five-channel system. And the Belles are 1978 while my Klipschorns are 1977. I'm pretty excited.4.gif

----------------

On 5/26/2004 5:41:36 PM DeanG wrote:

----------------

The Belles in the photo were my in-laws. I sold them to HornEd back in February. I liked them so much that I decided set out to find another pair. Meanwhile, I told my wife about the K-horns and she thought they were a great idea since they fit snugly into the corners of the room.

I found a pair of Birch Klipschorns and bought them with the intention of refurbishing them. Meanwhile, I had the opportunity to purchase the rosewood pair. I bought them figuring that I'd keep one pair and sell the other.

I've now decided to keep the birch pair. My hunch is that they'll be "out of commission" for a while. I bought the Belles for two reasons. 1) It makes it more palatable for me to take some time to re-do the birch Klipschorns. In other words, I still get to have a pair of Klipsch to listen to. 2) I just LOVE the Belles. I think they're flat sexy. I love their appearance as well as their sound. Not quite as "big" as the Klipschorns, but VERY fast and articulate.

I think this is called "having your cake and eating it, too"!

Besides, when I refinish the birch Klipschorns, it's going to be in Oiled Walnut. The Belles that I'm buying are also Oiled Walnut. Perhaps I'll have the makings of a VERY cool, matching five-channel system. And the Belles are 1978 while my Klipschorns are 1977. I'm pretty excited.4.gif

gullahisland:

Are you selling a pair of Khorns in Rosewood or a single?

What would you rate their condition on a scale of 10?

Where in CA are you located?

I'm going to check out your photos.

Thanks, I'll be baauck!

Danny - Great question. I have NO IDEA how people ship these things. That's why I say that if someone is willing to make the arrangements and assume liability, then I'll comply.

I have no carpentry skills and wouldn't begin to know how to build crates for these. I could deliver them to Forward Air if someone knows how to get them ready for transport.

I have a truck and can lift heavy things, but that's where my resemblance to Andy begins and ends.2.gif

Gilbert,

I knew you were going to see these.

I know you are looking for exotic wood and am glad you finally found a pair.

How are you going to get them home? It looks like no matter what pair I go for I am going to have to get them shipped. I just cant see putting them on a pallet and wrapping them in bubble wrap is the way to go.

Any info will be so helpful.

They are beautiful. I hope you enjoy them.

Danny

----------------

On 5/26/2004 6:09:56 PM Gilbert wrote:

gullahisland

I will probably buy them,.....What would you rate their condition? and Where are you located?......Send me photos, please.

----------------

Gilbert - I'm in California (Central Valley). I would rate their condition as very good to excellent. The only blemishes of note are a scratch on the top of one of them which I tried to show in the photos on the link that I provided, but it didn't show up very well. In other words, it's not very deep. There's also a 1" scratch on the front of one speaker. In the photos it's the LEFT speaker and you can barely make it out. It's on the upper half on the left side of the front (as you face the speaker). On the same speaker, there's a small nick on the right side (upper half as well). Again, this is very small. Otherwise, there are just a few little scuffs around the trim pieces on the bottom front of each bass bin. They're really in VERY nice condition as the photos should show.

Tell me what you'd like photos of (specifically) and I'll send you some more.

Were you able to see the pics on the link that I included?

I should also mention that I would GREATLY prefer a local transaction for obvious reasons, so before I commit to shipping them, I'd like to guage local interest as well. I'm not talking about a bidding war here as that's not my intent, but all else being equal, my preference is for a local buyer. Fair?

Photos look veeeeery good,

If your looking for some WalNut Khorns, I have a beautiful pair. I'd rate them a 9/10 easy. Shipping though....Uuuhg. How to do this one????

EDIT....

The additional photos I would like to see are just of the flaws, shown with a pencil or dime, so that I can get some ideal of the scale.

Also I understand your not willing to hassel with the shipping, I wouldn't either. My WalNuts are beautiful also, as mentioned already above. The only flaw is a small blister, which I believe I have fixed......time will tell.

Rosewood is 1 of the few veneers I'd consider selling my current pair of Khorns for. I will contact Forward Air here in Tulsa, and find out something on shipping yours to me.

Oh yea, thanks Danny

See Ya!!,

I'll be baaauk!!

Hey Dan! Sorry I have not gotten back to you, but I cannot seem to take myself away from my Khorn project for very long at a time. I will call you soon though. My Rosewood veneer job is turning out just beautifully! HOLY COW these things are GORGEOUS! I hope to start reassembly by Sunday afternoon. I will toss some pics out as soon as possible. They are pretty much identical to the Rosewood Khorns that Greg did. Same veneer, same source, same finish, etc. Oh, I have your pre-cut Khorn Walnut veneer package tucked away in a bedroom closet for safe keeping.