PICS!!!...'67 Khorn Refurb Progress!!!

jorjen

Bill, I wanted the Klipsch grill cloth, but at $30 sq yd it was a little too much $. I went to JoAnne fabrics and purchased their cloth for $2.99 a yard. It's no Klipsch cloth but I did use around 4 yds to finish the front and sides. Using the JoAnne fabrics cloth I saved around $110. I'm sure it doesn't look as nice as the original, but when I listen with the lights on low, I don't see the fabric. And I'm across the pond in St. Pete (GO BOLTS).

I am still waiting for you to invite me over to eat a meal off your garage floor...2.gif

Great work, Jordan! Now you must veneer the horns! You've got flat surfaces down...

TillmBill,

The grilles on the Khorns are the original material. Not really a fabric, more like some kind of Nylon it appears. They were covered with dust which was stuck to a layer of what appeared to be Nicotine. Believe it or not, I sprayed the grilles down with Simple Green and let them set for 2 minutes. Scrubbed them with a fine brush and rinsed them off with a hose sprayer and immediately blew off all excess water with an air compressor. Since the wood frames are painted, I felt they could withstand a little water. I swear you would think they were brand new. When I rinsed them off, the water was brown, lots of gunk.

Colin,

Thanks. I stripped the squawker horns, washed and repainted them. They look better than new.

Hey Fini,

I have heard that eggplant parmesan, roasted garlic, a green salad with basalmic vinegarette and sourdough bread sticks goes very well on cement. Now that I have made your mouth water, I am going to go have dinner3.gif. I will be thinking of you!2.gif.

Hi Tom,

It is Krylon semi-flat black spray over a couple coats of spray on Bullseye shellac. I sand the cabinets, shellac them to make sure they are sealed and then apply the black. And you are right, same as the Corn's.

Jordan,

Awesome.

First the Cornwalls and now the Khorns.

You are very talented. Even your garage floor is spotless.

I believe you are in California.

Just my luck the two rebuilders are either in CA or Maine.

Keep up the great work and keep posting those pictures.

Danny

Radiob,

I veneered over Laquered Walnut with Santos Rosewood and finished them with Watco Teak Oil. I just copied Greg 2.gif.

Danny,

Thanks for the kudos! Yep, I am one of those damn left coasters, what can I tell ya'1.gif.

tillmbil

You did a damned nice job on those Birch Horns ! I wish mine looked as good but frankly mine were essentially a search and rescue operation and I am NOT a skilled woodworker.

jorjen

Those Khorns of yours are gorgeous ! You should be proud of your accomplishment.