Grill Cleaning

garymd

I have a pair of cane grills on my recently purchased cornwalls that could use a good cleaning. Anyone have a recommendation as to the best way to go about this? I think air compression works pretty well for black grills but light cane needs a little more I think.

Thanks.

To get that "Cane" color, you have to leave the grill out in the rain for two or three days.

Try and not laugh to hard when I tell you this.

Use shaving cream (foam type) and tissue paper. Not toilet paper, but the stuff you wrap gifts up with. Gently work the foam in, and then use the tissue paper and some pressure. DON'T WIPE. Dab and press like you would removing a carpet stain.

----------------

On 6/1/2004 2:56:02 PM Colin wrote:

does Klipsch still provide grills or cloth for the Heritage speakers? is it listed on their site somewhere?

4.gif

----------------

Unfortunately they no longer support us dynasours with cane grills.15.gif15.gif15.gif

Gary, I have used Murphy's oil soap and water and stuff like 409. The latter works well with built up grime. Soak the cane and gently rub with the weave. Getting cane wet does not damage it and is actually how it is applied it to antiques when refinishing them. It tightens as it dries.

Rick

Perhaps a low volume vacum cleaner to suck dust out, and then a very slightly moistened tooth brush to loosen the dirt followed by a cloth to blot up any residual moisture and dirt? I'd probably try to stay away from any cleaning agents.

What I used on black grills on the '86 Cornwall II's that I just got to remove dust & grit is Bissell Uphostery Cleaner it comes in a blue can with a soft bristle brush head and a button that dispenses the quick drying foam. Usually available at Kmart. The stuff does a killer job in the car as well, great at removing stains from the carpet or fabric seats.

I layed the grills down and gently scrubbed them top to bottom and did the opposite sides in woofer mid/tweeter holes let them dry a minute or two you can vacuum after that to remove any pet hair, fuzz or what have you. They will dry completely in a short time and be ready for reinstallation.

----------------

On 6/9/2004 2:19:16 PM D-MAN wrote:

If they are so badly gone that they cannot reasonably be cleaned by vacuuming, then perhaps you should consider replacing the grill cloth entirely...

DM

----------------

The grills are actually in almost perfect condition. I'm just thinking they could be brightened up a bit with a good cleaning. I think the bissell idea would work well but I'd rather not have to buy one. For now I don't really need to do anything. They look great in my room which isn't very bright anyway. Black grills don't show dirt like the canes.

Gary, it is not a machine it is just a can of stuff available for about $3. Believe me the black grills show the dirt very well especially around the woofer and port holes that why I cleaned them up! They look like new now.

I need to replace the cane cloth on my '62's though it is beyond hope I think, but that will be a big job since the cloth is attached to the front motorboard.