Ceramic (ok, mud!) magnets for Klipschorns

If there are any of you that found the Ceramic magnet tweeters in your LSs or Klipshcorns to 'hot,' and changed them for alnico tweeters, and you still have and don't really want the ceramic ones..................or.............if you currently have only ceramic tweeters and think they are too bright, and you would like to try the older, slightly warmer alnico version, would you let me know? I had ceramic K-77s in my former La Scalas and miss their sharper edge. The alnico magnets are nice, but sounded more 'rounded-off' in comparison. I know this can be compensated for (somewhat)by a lower loss capacitor in the high pass branch of the crossover, but I'm referring to an overall sound quality that I think I prefer in the ceramic magnet K-77s. If this applies to anyone, would you let me know? Maybe they can be found on ebay?

A funny side-story: Marie was complaining that her recently planted pepper plants weren't producing peppers they way she hoped they would. When she was at work, I went to the store and bought a handful of jalapeno peppers, and tied them onto the branches of the plants with dental floss. When she came home and went outside she said, "Oh my God! Look! Peppers!" I was already laughing my head off, which gave everything away...

----------------

On 6/4/2004 6:49:38 AM Erik Mandaville wrote:

A funny side-story: Marie was complaining that her recently planted pepper plants weren't producing peppers they way she hoped they would. When she was at work, I went to the store and bought a handful of jalapeno peppers, and tied them onto the branches of the plants with dental floss. When she came home and went outside she said, "Oh my God! Look! Peppers!" I was already laughing my head off, which gave everything away...

----------------

Sounds like something my dad would do! LOL 3.gif

Yep, I have seen, quoted on the forum, but now cannot remember how far the high end of the ceramic K77 extends ahead of the alinco K77.

I have a pair of BEC's brand new ones in a pair of Heresy's. Can't remember what I paid for them, but it could be worth a PM to him to check them out. He's had the horn flares cast in metal and all the rest of the parts are OEM.

Hi, Dee: And thanks for that information. I will check on that. I'm just now unpacking the box to do a parts check (unless you've already done that). BTW: Did you get the low-noise version of the OTL?

All my cupcake tins are filled with parts for my AE-1 rebuild, but we're going to go to Target today to get a couple more of the tins for your SE OTL. My preamp rebuild project is officially on 'standby' until your amp is done. I'm going to take pictures with my regular camera, and will have a picture disk made from that. The quality won't be as good, but at least we can have some pictures of the process.

Erik

Dee: AMAZING packing job!

I don't know the specific numbers, DaddyDee, but can certainly vouch for the more rolled off sound of the older, alnico versions.

FWIW, I'm on the opposite side of the fence - I prefer the alnico stuff over the later versions. I sold off the non-alnico in favor of the alnico for that very reason. Much of that preference may be related to the stock crossovers too, but from the systems I've heard, I prefer the alnico era best....excellent in stock form.

The ceramic era models give me strong urges to start playing with the crossovers. I often wonder what the later versions would sound like with Jensen PIO caps, for example. Things that make ya go hmmmmmmm.....

Eric,

I repair the K-77s and K-77Ms for customers so I have built a box to mount two of them at a time to use for a listen test after repair. I use the same signal to both tweeters and can switch from one to the other and back very quickly for comparison. To my ear, both types are very similar. There is some variation between individuals in a group of K-77s and a group of K-77Ms. With that in mind, I am certain that if you had a group of 10 K-77s and 10 K-77Ms, all rebuilt with new diaphragms, and tried to match them up into the "best" pairs, you would end up with some mixed pairs.

Variation between individuals of the K-77M group is greater than that of the K-77 group. If fact, I have one K-77M that is so much different from all others I have tested that I may never find a partner for it. It is so much "better", more sensitive, brighter and clearer than any other that it makes any other I have tested seem bad by comparison. I have put in a lot of time trying to figure out why that one is so different but the solution has eluded me.

I think that we all need to remember that Klipsch made no other changes in their speakers when they changed to the K-77Ms in 1979. In fact, many K-77s were replaced with K-77Ms under warranty in single speakers. If the customer wanted the keep the tweeters the same in both speakers, Klipsch charged them extra for the other K-77M. That info was from one of the "Dope From Hope" publications.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@centurytel.net

Hey Bob, want to sell that optimally performing oddball K-77M that you won't be able to pair up with another K-77. I want it for my center channel, I could offer the K-77 Alnico that is in there towards it. Please, please. I have some high frequency hearing loss due to firearms and loud car systems over the years so I could use a sparkly tweeter in my center La Scala. Lemme Know!

I really don't want to sell it. I want to figure it out. I worked on it for hours a few months ago but got nowhere. It seems in all respects to be identical to all others but something is different. How about I sell you one of the new ones I am building at a nice "introductory" price.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@centurytel.net

----------------

Erik Mandaville wrote:

I will check on that. I'm just now unpacking the box to do a parts check (unless you've already done that). BTW: Did you get the low-noise version of the OTL?

All my cupcake tins are filled with parts for my AE-1 rebuild, but we're going to go to Target today to get a couple more of the tins for your SE OTL. My preamp rebuild project is officially on 'standby' until your amp is done. I'm going to take pictures with my regular camera, and will have a picture disk made from that. The quality won't be as good, but at least we can have some pictures of the process.

Thanks so much for sharing this, especially the part about going to Target to get the "cupcake tins." This is the kind of posting that makes me value the sincere helping nature of this forum! In one post, someone can say with consumate ease, I AM LOST and FOUND without many realizing it. It take great talent to both advertise your prowess and services, while appearing as sincere as a Cubscout at a 4th of July picnic. You have my admiration.

The alnico post is amazing enough. I have never seen such realizations - I am also looking foward to the next "Marie, my loving wife" installment. You crazy kids with your hijinks! I pity the fourlegged friends though.

Many skim posts as I do usually. For those, one might need a translation -

I build kits for people. For a small fee, I will build one for you. In payment, you will have to endure these posts about cuptcake tins, Target, my dog, what I am making for dinner, and other any other "attaboy, Beaver!" sentiment.

I am only upset that there has not been a "I lost your email! Will you please send me your address so I can send tthis amplifier I constructed with my own hands that is now the best amplifier I have ever heard but will be overtaken by my next amplifier I build with my own two hands" post recently.

again I will offer my admiration. Awaiting the next installment. Additional help on the getting more brightness might be to invest in a solid state amplifier with a equalizer.

Some times a slight variation in flux across the gap or the mass of the diaphram can make a T-35/k77 sound different. The top end of the tweeter can very quit a bit some only reach 10k hz others to 17k hz. Alnico can over time lose its strength. Ceramic/ferris can be magnetized to high (called hot rodding) causing modulating distortions in the gap. Thomas Dunker talks about this on Audio asylum this month. Very interesting about diaphram mass & field coil advantages. Read Steve Shell,s comments on Paul Klipsch,s JASA paper.

Nice post Pablum, funny. I'm getting ready to put out a ping for Tillmbil, who's email I apparently deleted which contained his shipping address. I don't have an amp for him, but I do have other goodies I'd like to get to him.

It makes sense that if the magnet is stronger, there might be more extension. This of course makes me wonder why Bob would be wrestling with that one particular driver, considering the monster-modded and very impressive K-77 prototype he dropped in my hand at the Arkansas gathering.

Hey Pablum. I take personal exception to your post about Erik.

Erik is one of the most genuine helping guys on this forum. I have

met Erik in person, he is a very cool guy. He repaired my Welborne Labs Moondog amps & Edster's for free. I tried to pay Erik for his time & trouble of repairing my amps & Erik did not want payment. He has helped out many others on this forum. If you don't like Erik's posts, don't read them. Erik is too classy of a guy to respond to your drivel. If you are going to post critical B.S. about someone you don't know, don't post.

Regards, Mike