Klipsch in theaters...

dkp

I remember hearing from someone that the majority of U.S. theaters use Klipsch loudspeakers. Since then I've checked one of our local theaters and they use Peavey. Anyone know for sure?

I also heard the same thing about the Skywalker ranch. Same question here-anyone know?

David

Wow, I have never seen any theater use Peavey for their speakers. (Not that Peavey could not. They make respectable speakers in the mid level that last a lifetime too.)

I know the United Artist chain is making the switch to Klipsch here, throwing out JBL.

Good ? for Trey, and also remmember they roll them out to the newer theaters first and then re do the older ones.

----------------

On 6/9/2004 2:03:31 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Wow, I have never seen any theater use Peavey for their speakers. (Not that Peavey could not. They make respectable speakers in the mid level that last a lifetime too.)

I know the United Artist chain is making the switch to Klipsch here, throwing out JBL.

Good ? for Trey, and also remmember they roll them out to the newer theaters first and then re do the older ones.

----------------

Yeah, I was surprised to see Peavey as well.

I'm not understanding your last line there...

David

----------------

On 6/9/2004 3:20:24 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

DKP

Trey Cannon with Klipsch, also on this board too.
----------------

IndyKlipschFan-I know that Trey is on this board, I just don't understand what you are saying. Maybe I'm a tad slow today? ;)

David

I remember hearing from someone that the majority of U.S. theaters use Klipsch loudspeakers. Since then I've checked one of our local theaters and they use Peavey. Anyone know for sure?

I also heard the same thing about the Skywalker ranch. Same question here-anyone know?

==========================================================================

David,

I said good question for Trey he might know... I do not think the majority of theaters are Klipsch at all. JBL, Altec Lansing VOTT are still in a LOT of older systems/ theaters today. As for Skywalker ranch ...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/skywalker/ranch.html

They use Atlantic Technology Specially designed THX speakers.

• Klipsch Employees

Klipsch as of the last 5 years or so has held 65% to US and 80% of Latin America cinema market.

Skywalker ranch as 2 Klipsch cinemas. One with the KPT-535 system and the other a KPT-941-T.

We also hold the only fully horn loaded THX cinema speaker system. KPT-MCM-Grand

My Uncle is the manager at the Regal Cinemas where I live. I know they don't use Klipsch, but I don't know what they use. I'm gonna go see this weekend, he takes me upstarts where the projectors are and everything, so I'd like to see what they use to power the speakers and so forth. I'll convince him to get Klipsch haha.

TBrennan: Yes, The Altec/Lansing Voice of the Theaters are hard to beat. Classic sound!

A4 Voice of the Theater: (Huge!)

a4.jpg

According to an article in 'Audio Video Interiors Magazine' (more than a year ago), it was said that the main theater at Skywalker (it has a name which I have since forgotten) was just redone about two years ago and they outfitted it with TAD speakers, which are affiliated with Pioneer Electronics.

Here is a picture of a TAD channel and sub:

tad.gif

dkp: It is my understanding that the MJR theaters in my area use Klipsch.

post-10177-1381925591281_thumb.gif

----------------

On 6/9/2004 5:33:00 PM Trey Cannon wrote:

Klipsch as of the last 5 years or so has held 65% to US and 80% of Latin America cinema market.

Skywalker ranch as 2 Klipsch cinemas. One with the KPT-535 system and the other a KPT-941-T.

We also hold the only fully horn loaded THX cinema speaker system. KPT-MCM-Grand
----------------

Trey, interesting numbers (if they are true 3.gif ) - real question is, why? Is it just you offer the best preformance/price ratio for fufilling the specs, or is there something else that is making you guys such a big player? Do you have a list of list prices of Klipsch cinema gear? I know it is probably a bit more usable than with consumer gear.

Ever going to sell some raw drivers? I would love to see you guys in the pages of Parts Express 2.gif

I live in the San Francisco East Bay, Antioch. Our Regal theater has Klipsch in all of theaters here. We use to only have one choice and that was the brenden theater which ran JBL. But ever since the Regal opened we have been going there. Exceptional sound I must say.

The photo represented as an A4 is actually an A2.

An A4 only has one bass cabinet, the A2 has two, and the A1 has three.

The JBL 4550 has a better throat design, and when ordered with underhung drivers sounds better (the Altec 515 is an underhung design, the 416 is not).

The RCA version sounded better than either the Altec or the JBL.

Any of these will smoke the commonly seen THX aproved stacked pair of 15s and a horn. Although the THX will have more bass below 80hz, the old A4 type have much, much better midrange.

I've heard custom systems similar to the KTP Jubilee and MCM 3 Grand. They have the midrange of the old A4 type and the bass that was missing. Using the 12 in the 150hz horn instead of a 15 allows the crossover point to be raised so the compression driver doesn't take it in the shorts.

--------------------------

On 6/10/2004 6:18:22 AM djk wrote:

The photo represented as an A4 is actually an A2.

An A4 only has one bass cabinet, the A2 has two, and the A1 has three.

--------------------------

djk: AH! I stand corrected. A different link confirmed what you stated. Here is photo showing both the A2 (right rear) and the A4 (left rear): Thanks for pointing out the error! The link I got the orginal photo from gave me misinformation (garbage in/garbage out).

altec6.jpgpost-10177-1381925591312_thumb.jpg

I recently saw the restored Lawrence of Arabia in Champaign Illinois at Roger Ebert's filmfest there. The sound was spectacular and had that big "technicolor" VOT midrange that first attracted me to hi-fi so many years ago.

I sought out the theatre manager and sure enough they were using A4s behind the screen.

Now modern rigs by EV, JBL, Klipsch and others are certainly very good (and I've frequented the Tivoli in Downers Grove, which was one of the first theaters that used HPS 4000 and Klipsch speakers, for about 20 years) but there's a certain magic to the big VOTs that is lacking in modern systems.

My opinion ya understand.