RSW-15 with LaScala's?

Piranha

I tried two different nice subs when I had the RF-7's -- I never could get it to sound right with music. No matter what I tried, the bass always sounded disconnected. Turn it up so you can hear it -- and THERE it is. Turn it down until you can't -- and it just seemed like it was never doing anything. Good with movies, but other than that -- worthless.

I don't remember what you are using right now, but I say put that money towards some good monoblocks. Don't forget to hold some money back for me. :)

I don't really watch movies other than at the theaters. I really haven't decided if I'll ever go into HT. I am strictly 2-Channel at this point and it's unlikely I'll change. But you never know?

The new monos that I am getting next week will probably have more than enough bass.

I have the RSW 12 and La Scalas but use the 12 mainly when watching movies in HT system. The main reason I do this is for my neighbors and to keep the peace. When I have used them together I turn the bass down on the side of the 12 and turn on the music using just the LS and slowly turn up the 12 bass volume until the 12 starts to go lower than the LS's and that is about as far as I use the 12 with the LS. I usually don't go very much lower than the LS's bass with the sub because most of the music I listen to does not have bass that requires me to. I listen mainly to rock, jazz, and am just now starting to get into classical but I can tell that I will never buy a lot of it. So I don't need the 12 with my LS that often because to me the bass gets to boomy and it should be fast and tight and hit you in the chest. Now if you listen to a lot of classical then it should help with the low bass

I have the Denon 2900 which plays both SACDs and DVD audio. Since it is a dvd player I think the SACD decoder is not a very good one. Every SACD I have bought sounds terrible to me and if I hooked up a true SACD player they would sound better. On regular DVD audio discs a few sound better but not by much. On DVD audio discs that at the top say "dts international music experience"(the Les Brown and his band of renown, session #55 is very good) for me have had the best sound between SACDs and DVD audio and in this case using the 12 with the LS sound fantastic. My cd player is a NAD C542 which has HDCD decoder and on 90% of HDCDs I have bought they sound better than DVD audio discs or SACDs. HDCDs will probably not be around in 5 years so I am trying to find as many as I can now. Well sorry got off on another subject.

Xman

Piranha ,

I use my SW-15, the precurser to the RSW-15, with my Heresys. I bring it in at about 60Hz and adjust for level output with the Heresys. Properly adjusted this way there is a seemless x-over and bass as low as the Khorns. However, the bass is not as "fast" as the horns. This might be more noticable with the horn loaded LaScalas than the non-horn loaded Heresys.

When I use the sub with the Khorns, the bass is louder not necessarily lower or better. Nice for explosions, not for music. There is little bass information below the Khorn's -3Db point of 35Hz and there is still usable bass down to about 25Hz. The RW-15 will get you down there with the Khorns.

My opinion only,YMMV. Yada,yada,yada.

Rick

I have no experience with that specific combo, only with the modest KSW series, the ill-fated Klipsch LF10 and the SVS tube sub-woofers, on super-sensitive walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers, classic Klipsch corner Khorns, B&W 803s and a dozen other loudspeakers in a medium townhouse, small single family and large ranch home.

Paranaha, are you the one that knows Jane Larson?

Parroty, of course YOU dont NEED subs, you have deep reaching classic Klipsch corner Khorns, buy LaScala do NOT have that crucial lower octave and require sub-woofer support, have you heard SVS tubes, you dont say if you have, do you lump them in with other box subs? Your system profile conveniently skips what amplifier you are using too, do you have solid-state or tubes? Makes a difference you when you are recommending solutions.

The bass volume should go lower than the LaScalas, it should draw out the killer bass in movies and music, but otherwise be fairly silent most of the time.

In my own humble opinion, the musical low bass punch of the RSW series is an enjoyable investment in the musical capabilities of the big ole LaScala horns. It can alwsy be dialed back to avoid intrusion on the upper-bass and mid-range of the LaScalas.

4.gif

----------------

On 6/19/2004 1:02:48 PM paulparrot wrote:

This is really a matter of your own personal preference.

----------------

I'd go even a step further and say that personal musical tastes will vary the importance of a sub. A lot of classic rock has little bass content <60Hz while many modern recordings (eg: elecronica, etc...) contains a lot of info in that range. It is these notes, which would be totally unheard with a simple set of LaScalas.

Unfortunately subwoofers are highly room dependant so placement becomes even more critical than for mains. I'd argue that this is one of the principal reasons for some not to integrate a sub into their systems. When properly set up, you shouldn't notice it's on unless you unplug it.

Apart from it's appearance, I thing the RSW15 would be a good musical match for a pair of heritage speakers.

Later...

Rob