best dvd under 600

tlynch6988

tlynch,

Can't make a link work so search on this forum for "New DVD Player" with me as the author. Lot's of discussion that might help.

I just purchased a Zenith DVB-318. I have watched it for 3 nights now on just my plain old analog TV and noticed a nice improvement in picture quality over my previous Toshiba SD-2700. But the best is yet to come, when I add a front projector and really take advantage of the video upconversion features of this unit.

Sound is very good and the price?....can be had for less than $200. I believe the Griffinator on this forum can get them.

Highly recommended.

Redtop

----------------

On 6/24/2004 7:34:52 AM redtop wrote:

I just purchased a Zenith DVB-318. I have watched it for 3 nights now on just my plain old analog TV and noticed a nice improvement in picture quality over my previous Toshiba SD-2700. But the best is yet to come, when I add a front projector and really take advantage of the video upconversion features of this unit.

----------------

Glad to hear you like the 318. The more movies I watch on it; the better it gets. Ordered my second one from Griff - hope to have it by next week. Would second the high recommendation on the upscaling 318.

Also, would recommend the Denon 2900. That unit will remain my audio gem in my primary system (even though the 318 will probably take over movie-duty). Purchased my refurbished 2900 about eight months ago from an online Denon dealer, and no problems, no worries since.

Carl.

Troy:

What display are you running? Does it have a DVi input? If so, the Samsungs mentioned (HD841, HD941) are other upscalers to consider. I love the Zenith 318, but the Samsung does have the advantage of playing SACD and DVD-Audio, whereas the Zenith does not. However, if you will be running component cables, the Zenith 318 is the only player I am aware of that upscales through component.

As for playing burned discs on the 318, I am not sure. I will check the manual, specs and get back to you. In the meantime, if you want to read up more on the 318, go to www.avsforum.com. Under DVD players, there are several threads started on the 318, including a monster-sized main thread on the player under the "DVD Players" section. I also recall seeing something about a software download you can do to the player to make it more adaptable for burned discs. I was not really paying much attention because it was not applicable to me. I will see if I can find that info.

Carl.

The 2900 is a great video player for $600--it came out around $1k. It also plays both SACD and DVD-A. Although very detailed in sound it is also a bit sterile for the price in 2-channel music mode. The good news is that it has spawned an industry of after-market upgrades to make it sound unbelievable!!!! The Modwrigth $1200 tube mods can make this unit sound awesome and a real value at under $2k...of course you have to value 2-channel audio and be in the market for a $2k CD player to justify the cost.

The DVI upconverters are worth looking at too as they are much cheaper. I would read up on them as the one I tried had some loading issues...forgot the brand...

I'm going to pitch the Samsung HD841, which I own. The audio performance of this $200 gem is absolutely stellar. It well outperforms the stock Denon 2900 that I replaced with it. In SACD or 2 channel, the Denon seems dull on the high end by comparison to the Sammy. I'm not sure about how well it will do against the $2000 UPGRADED 2900 though. However, come to think of it, if I had $2k to spend right now on my equipment, I wouldn't put it into a DVD player since some form of HD DVD seems inevitable within the next couple of years, and a $200 obsolete player seems much easier to put in the closet than a $2000 one would.

Jerry Rappaport

Note that the modified 2900 becomes an audiophile 2-channel music player that will be valued even after DVD is replaced by DVD-HD as just a music player. For those looking for an audiophile 2-channel music player the modified 2900 is compelling at $1800 and at it's current price it seems popular with audiophiles as the beginning of a great 2-channel system (same for the similar priced Sonys).

Since this thread may be more about HT and movies then the 2900 must stand more on it's video and the option of upgrading the audio is probably not a fit due to price.

The 2900 seems to get great reviews for it's video section even when it was higher priced.

This is not to take away from the other options...especially those that are much lower priced.

----------------

On 6/29/2004 12:33:39 AM kjohnsonhp wrote:

The good news is that has spawned an industry of after-market upgrades to make it sound unbelievable!!!! The Modwrigth $1200 tube mods can make this unit sound awesome and a real value at under $2k...of course you have to value 2-channel audio and be in the market for a $2k CD player to justify the cost.

----------------

Just curious, have you viewed any long-term reactions from universal player owners who have had the tube mod by Modwright on other makes/models? I investigated that tube modification, but I am unsure of long-term reliability issues since Modwright puts the tubes inside the existing unit. Seems like too many heat issues inside one box (with the DVD/CD, tubes, etc. all in there). It seems like a tube pre with some sort of a pass through might also be an attractive option for those who want to "tuberize" their two-channel sound. $1200 seems a lot for a player mod until you know more about long-term reliability. Again, curious on what all you have read because other than surfing audiocircle and exchanging e-mails with Modwright, I have not had enough time to investigate.

In any event, for the purposes of this thread, I agree with Jerry. Props for the Samsung if you have DVi. The Zenith if you only have component.

Carl.