5.1 receiver suggestions for Hersey HT

milton10

Does anyone have any suggestions on a 5.1 HT receiver for a Heresy setup. I am just changing jobs, so big, expensive receivers are not a possibility right now. I am considering a used Denon or HK unit. My budget is about $600.00.

Any ideas?

Milton

If you want to save part of your $600.00, The Sony DA555ES will get you up and running with cash to spare. I know its a Sony.....but it has tons of whistles and bells. It will do jumping jacks while making popcorn and getting you a beer.......its really cool for watching sports events. There are all kinds of arena/stadium simulations that are fun to play with. I use one to power my deck and garage tunes. You should get some replies now......

Just for clairification, you will probable end up with a 6.1 or 7.1

receiver even though you may not have the additional speakers yet.

For $600 I would look at Pioneer, Denon, Harmon/Kardon and Yamaha.

Each one of these companies have models in that price range and will

do the job.

Our 3 week old Yamaha RX-V750

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/RECEIVER/RX-V750.htm

is in that price range, I must say that we love it.

There is another reciever for sale used here that you might be interested in. it is worth a look.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=51260&sessionID={6B465E9F-FE28-45B3-94C3-9D8B0D5FF416}

edit:... The msrp on this unit is $1499 and he is only asking $700 for it!!

Good luck!

If your not in a panic to get rid of the receiver you've got, the HK 7200 price is dropping fast since the HK 7300 just came out.

I got the 7200 about 6 weeks ago for $850 and it's nothing short of incredible for both 2 channel and HT! It makes my Chorus' sing with fullness and has plenty of power to run anything. I use it for 5.1 (don't really have the $$ or the room to take full advantage of the 6.1 or 7.1 capabilities it offers.

Then only area it falls short on IMHO is all the internet integration capabilities that are becomming more prevalent.

Unless you have (near) unlimited funds, you'll get more bang for your buck buying a non-used previous model of something. (just like buying a new car....wait for the '05's to come out before you go looking for a new '04).

You think Yamaha is bright,and it is,imo.The 7200 is worse than any Yamaha I have ever heard(treble set at -3,imo.I had a 7200 and prefer my garage HK125(100 bucks lightly used) by far.If you want some sense of fidelity at least try the Denon 3802/03,about 4 to 5 hundred for a good used model and they are super reliable imo,I owned Denons for years.Most all prefer what they own(rightly so) but I no longer have a Denon and am not owner bias,just giving my solicited opinion,good luck.

----------------

On 6/24/2004 7:29:35 PM Fish wrote:

You think Yamaha is bright,and it is,imo.The 7200 is worse than any Yamaha I have ever heard(treble set at -3,imo.I had a 7200 and prefer my garage HK125(100 bucks lightly used) by far.If you want some sense of fidelity at least try the Denon 3802/03,about 4 to 5 hundred for a good used model and they are super reliable imo,I owned Denons for years.It is a fact we all prefer what we own(rightly so) but I no longer have a Denon and am not owner bias,just giving my solicited opinion,good luck.

----------------

So I guess that Harman Kardons don't sound the way that they used too

I searched and searched on the net before I spent any cashola on my 7200 because it's just a pain to have to return things(especially BIG, HEAVY boxes). What I found over about 3 months of digging around is "of those that commented", probably 90% or better thought it was a fantastic unit!

I won't disagree with you one bit that your's probably didn't sound very good 'cause I had a vehicle that had great ratings but must have been made on a Monday morning bright and early 'cause I had a bunch of problems with it(and you can't return cars quite as easy as stereo eqpmnt). I hate that yours didn't work out for you 'cause I just couldn't be happier with mine.

bla....bla....bla.... I say all this to tell you that I thought there were enough "good" comments for me to take the risk so I dove right in. I now have my treble almost pegged on the high side and it's still not too bright. Someone will have to pry this thing outta my cold hands before I'll give it up! Even my wife commented on how warm the sound was(both musically and HT) and she's definately NOT a stereophile!

I got mine from J&R and they have a 30 day return policy so you can try it out for a good long time before you make up your mind!

I will put my Outlaw 1050 receiver up against any AVR you can find under $600 for sound. I have used it with Heresys and Cornwalls.

$350 plus shipping (PayPal accepted at 3% fee)

I have done several comparisons to the Denon 1802 and the 1050 is much heavier, more powerful and has greater resolution. The 3803 has much closer sound but at $600. The advantage of the 3803 is based on several more features (component switching, 7.1, DPL II, phono to name a few).