Bought used Heresy from Salvation Army

mbryant56

This is my first post here so if anything seems out of place I apologize.

I just bought a nearly flawless pair of Klipsch Heresy (I assume series 1 they are dated 1980) from my local Salvation Army. The lady told me to make an offer for the pair and knowing the quality that Klipsch posses since I have heard all the newer lines, I lowballed the lady thinking she would raise the price quickly , but she didn't and she sold them to me for $10 for the pair. The speakers have the original labels on the back, with type HWO and the serial numbers written on them with the signatures of the inspectors.

From what I have seen on ebay and looking around through here I see that these are a somewhat pricey find.

I love vintage speakers and speaker systems and am currently using a classic Panasonic line that sounds amazing hooked to a new receiver. I plan on using these in my living room and moving the Panasonics to another room.

My questions are what would these have sold for new and what are they worth now in mint condition???

Thanks in advance for the replies, Matt

Damn, that was an awesome score! They sold new for $1100. The going rate now is anywhere from $350 to $500. Do you have pics? If you want to get rid of them, I'll take them, I need three more. Id be willing to pay 35 times the price you paid9.gif

----------------

On 6/26/2004 6:40:38 PM wheelman wrote:

Are you poor? I take it you aren't if your using a computer unless your at your local library. The salvation army is there for the needy. To bad someone that was dirt poor could of scored them. If your dirt poor I apologize.

----------------

I am dirt poor and I am using a computer at Kinko's. I am in need of high fidelity audio gears. How come I never score any Klipsch heritage speakers at the Salvation Army or the Goodwill?

HAHA, the SA will probably get a contribution from me in the near future. About the poor part, broke *** college student here that frequents the thrift store and SA.

All the offers I will keep in mind, I am going to hook them up to my system and see what they sound like. Keep the offers coming though and if I decide to get rid of them I got some people in line that were asking first and so forth.

Thanks for the repsonses, Matt

Matt, don't sweat the p eople turning green with envy. Congrats onthe wonderful score! At 95 dB with one watt, you know have the most efficient speakers in the dorm. If you catch a score like this once every three months, you will have a lifetime system in under a year for less than $100.3.gif

Great score! I had a pair of Vandersteen Model 1's from a Goodwill store down here a several years ago. Later sold them to buy some KG5.5's and never looked back. And a little info on SA and Goodwill. Yes, many years ago they were there to help the poor and disadvantaged. Today they support their various programs through retail sales. Our local SA has a "boutique" with some high dollar items for sale. The "poor" could not afford the expensive items that the local SA sells, but they do reap the benifit from the sale of the item. SA no longer just rings a bell at Cristmas in front of your local K-Mart. They have learned the benifit of capitalism.

One of the nice things about Sal Army and Goodwill is you don't have to stop buying from them after you finish college and get a job. Once you get settled, they still have some high quality items for a fraction of retail at a fashionable store. Our solid red oak coal scuttle we use for newspapers cost $3.

Another trick is to bring a bag or two of donations when you go shopping, or cherry picking, at these stores. The day when I purchased four McIntosh MC30s from a thrift store for under $100 was much sweeter when I also gave them two boxes of good summer clothes that I no longer wear, and a check for their alcohol rehab program. It is nice to do good for yourself, doing good for others is nicer(to use poor English2.gif )

The sole purpose of SA and Goodwill stores is to make money for the charity. A guy like me that doesn't mind disinfecting his clothes before he wears them can get a really nice wardrobe every year or so for under $100, while you "rich" people spend that much for a pair of pants and a shirt, only to donate them to Goodwill in another year when they're no longer in fashion.

I suppose only poor people should buy used cars, used furniture, used speakers....

By the way, I am green with envy - nice friggin score! 9.gif

----------------

On 6/27/2004 9:47:52 AM Griffinator wrote:

The sole purpose of SA and Goodwill stores is to make money for the charity. A guy like me that doesn't mind disinfecting his clothes before he wears them can get a really nice wardrobe every year or so for under $100, while you "rich" people spend that much for a pair of pants and a shirt, only to donate them to Goodwill in another year when they're no longer in fashion.

I suppose only poor people should buy used cars, used furniture, used speakers....

By the way, I am green with envy - nice friggin score!
9.gif
----------------

Yes, exactly - it is NOT a store for the poor, simply a tool to raise funds. They want anyone and everyone shopping and buying there.

Hey, if I buy the 'used' 2003 Ferrari 360 Mondena from the place near my house, does that make me poor? After all, its ONLY $150,000.