To SET or not to SET

neo33

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting comments, Mark. Particularly that these speakers were designed to monitor the all-important voice-range of radio broadcasts, and designed to be positioned only a few feet away from the listener. A bad choice for full-range music in a good-sized room.

Also interesting, I think, that, despite all this, the little BBC monitors have developed a cult following that has lasted for decades. There is just no accounting for taste.

Cheney, whoever you are and however displeased you may be, please be civilize (for the rest of us) and refrain from using profanity in my thread. Please take your fight with Paul to the private.

----------------

On 7/13/2004 7:24:23 PM neo33 wrote:

Cheney, whoever you are and however displeased you may be, please be civilize (for the rest of us) and refrain from using profanity in my thread. Please take your fight with Paul to the private.

----------------

Hello:

I second that and request that any further Posts be something you may wish your mother to read. Also the decency of showing consideration, age and a command of the English language without resorting to vulgarities would be following the guidelines and idiocy that brought so much Moderation in the first place.

Resort to PM or email, please.

dodger

----------------

On 7/13/2004 7:24:23 PM neo33 wrote:

----------------

What Neo said, Cheney, with icecream on top.

Also, Cheney, please leave Paul alone. Some may argue that he is opinionated, biased, egocentric, eccentric, and just plain ornery! But that doesn't mean to say he's wrong(?) (Sorry Neo.) But without doubt Paul's comments are witty, considered and....okay, biased, but still fun.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I think I'll get myself some of that icecream.1.gif

...And for years I owned LS 3/5a's. I bought a pair when I first heard them in a recording studio back in the early 80's. I was working in commercial radio back then. But they were the most frustrating loudspeaker I never heard. They had the most wonderful sound but just as I started getting into the music and tried to turn the volume up, the bass driver bottomed out7.gif

I sold my pair only last year to a friend. While PP tube with a bit of power would be ideal to drive this speaker to it's somewhat limited volume maximum, I couldn't imagine driving a pair with a low powered SET design.

Neo,

"If you don't mind 3rd order harmonics distortion to reach "reasonable" volume level, then by all mean enjoy your PP amps."

Out of the following four pictures identify the type of amp each one is.

Shawn

post-12845-13819256249312_thumb.jpg

All I can guess is that #1 is your OTL. #2 is nice except ror that spike at 62.5hz, what is that all about.

You can keep #s 3 & 4 if they are clipping that baddly at 1 watt although #4 looks almost like an undamped coil, maybe needs some feedback.

Rick

LOL -- I saw that too. You're in rare form today.

I'm going to put my head on the chopping block: I think the first one is solid state or digital, and then downhill from there -- ending with something that has almost no power to begin with.

I didn't write down the levels of all the harmonics so for a sense of their level I just remeasured amp 1. The level of the second harmonic is 0.0095v to give a sense of scale for the harmonics compared to the fundamental.

Shawn