Artto, Please don't leave!

Istari

Oh hell people, it's not that hard. If I were to go to www.quilting.com and start talking about the new "Simple Life" show, how long would it take for it to get shut down?

On the other hand, if I went to the latest Paris Hilton site and started a thread regarding quilting, how long would that take to get shut down?

The rules follow the forum. The forum is audio. Why do so many people find it so hard to understand?

Well dag gone Rick, it's the left that needs to be censored. If everyone was on the right like they're supposed to be -- we wouldn't need censorship at all.9.gif

Anyone wanna talk about quilting?

I can't do quilting...How about crochet?

Baking? Chicken ona Spit...

Why is it that I feel like my brain cells

are dragging in the dirt?

Been a long time..been a long time....Been a long lonely lonely lonely time...

Perhaps Dorthy the sheep will bring in some fresh genetic material...

Sigh...

Champagne:

Right on! Regardless of the Joy Luck Club members that seem to want to promote continual dissension, I applaud Amy for doing WHAT she says she will do. It takes integrity to say you are going to do something, and do it even in the face of resistance. This is Amy's job, like it or not, and she does it well.

Meanwhile, a number of members recently put on a clever but brief high school drama where they said they would leave. With great fanfare, and empty posts, they left of their own will, unwilling and/or uncapable of following a few simple rules. And then, in an even more dramatic move, they reappeared within a week! Now, if that isn't a statement of commitment, I don't know what is! Way to stick to your guns!

All this "waaaaa, I'm confused about what the rules are", "I don't understand the definition of childish behavior", and "see what I mean" is much akin to the Chucky Cheese gopher game that my four year old plays - gopher comes up, gets whacked, goes down, another gopher comes up, gets whacked, etc. Unfortunately, the game gets very boring after a short time -

as does the relentless banter of "free speech sufferage" and the like. Funny, even going back through a posting history, I see where one unnamed member even SUGGESTED back in May that the OT stuff should be kept at bay - and then became one of the loudest recent perpetrators. It's convenient to ride both sides of an issue; makes you more likeable.

Personally, I didn't come here to hear about the latest flagrant film, opinions on the war in Iraq, how I should raise my child, why some are thought of as weak minded, the twisted debate on free speech, or the ramblings of those who call themselves "free thinkers" or "progressive intellectuals" (which, by the way, was my FAVORITE phrase in all the posts I read - I got THE biggest laugh from this one, and still smile about it). Does this mean my "viewpoint" is any more "right" than anyone else? NO, and it also means that every five minutes I won't try and start a rehash thread about how my dog was wronged over a reformulation of Puppy Chow, and the government should refund me accordingly (how's that for drama)? Get over yourselves!!

I came to discuss Klipsch, and learn as much as I could about audio from people who had some valuable experience to share. I could give a crap about your politics, your geneaology, and what makes you personally upset: cry me a river. Oh, it's just SOOOO much fun to flame each other. Can I come to the sleep over, too? Can I bring 45's to play?

Well, I guess this means I won't make the team. Now I should crawl away in shame, I suppose. NAH! Thanks again, Amy, for doing the right thing, even when the popular vote is against you. Seems to be the norm these days.

Popbumper6.gif

Granted, it is a Klipsch sponsored site and thus, we must adhere to all the rules. And since they want it to be an audio-only discussion board, then the moderators are probably required to maintain it as such.

And sure, while many of you (like the Good Sir above), came here to talk only about audio, realize that many of us wish to discuss the most basic topics outside of audio as well. After all, if you think about it, almost every topic worthy or unworthy of debate has already been covered. So if you've come here looking for tips, advice, or help on all your audio/video needs, then I say just perform a search and voila! Your needs have been answered. What an empty fulfillment. It's the times the discussions slant off to the side, veer somewhat off course into the realm of similar or related topics, that the thread truly becomes fascinating and entertaining to read.

As many have previously pointed out, the general populous of this board is comprised of intelligent, 3-dimensional, decent people with a passion for audio and a thirst for sharing opinions. We span the entire world, with members from Canada to Pakistan, from Japan to Hawaii. The folks here range from husbands, wives, sons, daughters, working men and women, high schoolers, college students, and whomever else you care to imagine. In addition, with the exception of our close groups of friends, family, or coworkers, there aren't many other places in the world where such a "community" can get together and discuss whatever is on their mind. The gathering we have here is really something that is to be cherished, I believe. If truth be told, every single one of my peers, which are college or recently graduated-from-college students, are not registered to vote. Almost none of them follow politics. Most of them couldn't care less. So where do I turn to share my thoughts and bang around ideas? My parents? Hell, they've already made up their minds. As a 23 year old, I ask you, what other outlets do I have?

So again, I say yes, while it is a Klipsch site, and while keeping the forums limited to audio is their primary agenda, I just wish/hope/want them to expand their viewpoint and allow at least an "OT FORUM" where all of us intelligent, 3-dimensional, and decent people of this "community" we're a part of due to our similar passion for audio can talk about other things in life.

In the past I've seen cries for help, family tragedies, advice on dating, pointers on sex, dirty (but hilarious) jokes, persuasions on alcoholic drinks, and everything in between. Are these not somewhat "iffy" subjects? Perhaps, but perhaps only to the provincially minded. There is nothing more important in this day and age, than our opinion. It's what makes this country special. It's what separates our species from every other in this world. Our ability to express our opinion. And in this country, in these current times, what is more important, I ask you, than our opinions on leadership and our government? Our lives are influenced day in and day out on the decisions made from up on the hill. We NEED to discuss this. And I believe that Klipsch encouraging such healthy but more so, needed, discussion, speaks volumes more about them than banning such exchange altogether.

Nicholt (hope I got that right):

You wrote:

Granted, it is a Klipsch sponsored site and thus, we must adhere to all the rules. And since they want it to be an audio-only discussion board, then the moderators are probably required to maintain it as such.

##Very good.

However, as many have previously pointed out, the general populous of this board is comprised of intelligent, 3-dimensional, decent people with a passion for audio and a thirst for sharing opinions.

##Now, I would hope that being one of those "intelligent, 3-dimensional, decent people", you could see that this is all merely opinion, and in no way FACT. Define "many", and tell me which standards you are using. Hey, I am only asking according to the rigorous demands of those who want so much answered from the moderators. Please share.

With the exception of our close groups of friends, family, or coworkers, there aren't many other places in the world where such a "community" can get together and discuss whatever is on their mind.

##Plenty of those types of boards on the internet. What's keeping you from participating there?

So again, I say yes, while it is a Klipsch site, and while keeping the forums limited to audio is their primary agenda, I just wish/hope/want them to expand their viewpoint and allow atleast an "OT FORUM" where all of us intelligent, 3-dimensional, and decent people of this "community" we're a part of due to our similar passion for audio can talk about other things in life.

##Sure, IF and WHEN they do institute an OT FORUM, that would be great for those interested. IF and WHEN.

In the past I've seen cries for help, advice on dating, persuasions on alcoholic drinks, and everything in between. Are these not somewhat "iffy" subjects? Perhaps, but perhaps only to the provincially minded.

##Like I said, I won't be making the team. This phrase ranks right up there with "progressive intellectual". I'm smiling again.

There is nothing more important in this day and age, in this country, than our leadership and our government. Our lives are influenced day in and day out on the decisions made from up on the hill. We NEED to discuss this.

##See above; plenty of places to do that.

And I believe that Klipsch encouraging such healthy but moreso, needed, discussion, speaks volumes more about them than banning such exchange altogether.

##No, actually, if you are interested in your wishes being heard, then you need to respect when others have their own wishes to be heard. This is not the case here - it just becomes a shoving match to see who can "break" Klipsch down until the new desired agenda is met. I believe it speaks greater of them that they can say no and mean it. I hope you get a chance to parent one day, if you have not already had the chance. Your child will RUN YOUR LIFE if you don't set limits, but hey, it's your choice.

Popbumper

----------------

On 6/28/2004 8:55:51 PM popbumper wrote:

Meanwhile, a number of members recently put on a clever but brief high school drama where they said they would leave. With great fanfare, and empty posts, they left of their own will, unwilling and/or uncapable of following a few simple rules. And then, in an even more dramatic move, they reappeared within a week! Now, if that isn't a statement of commitment, I don't know what is! Way to stick to your guns!

Popbumper
6.gif
----------------

While I hope this post is not aimed at me - I usually try to not be terribly defensive, but in my lurking over the past week I notice that I somehow was thrown into the mix of those that left without a reason. I stated my resaon for the hiatus I was taking in one of the 'dramatic' move threads. For the most part I grew weary of the non-political threads with the angry, sometimes vicious attacks (for goodness sakes folks - you slammed a 14 year old that was looking to sell his heresy that we helped turn him on to - just because he was going non-klipsch). I was disappointed that the effort to control this came in the form of control over political threads. I noted the definition of 'political' was focused and I claimed that there seemed to be a like minded country club feel to what was taking place here. I needed the break - I didn't ask the forum to change (although desired) nor do I expect my personal rules to be the most important thing for this forum. I can choose to leave if the irritation persists.

There is no way to write this without offending someone. If it is cool to insinuate someone is a dumb A__ because of their audio preferences (trust me - try and defend SS around here) without crossing the line into direct personal attack, but not cool to state a preference in the upcoming election then I am in an uncomfortable place.

Quite a few important things are going on in the world and abunch of the folks that I respect (like minded or not) spend quite a bit of time at this forum. I grow very tired of being quieted because those that speak louder gain the floor. I am very much the patriot, have served this country in some of the most selfless ways and continue to be on call for such. That doesn't keep me from disliking this administration and the leader and working to see if it can be removed from power. Now, for the life of me, isn't that is what we plant flags on beaches for and it shouldn't smack of 'undermining' the presidency.

Interesting - that ramble wasn't as much fun as in the past.

Henry:

As a matter of fact, no, it was not directed at you. You made it clear to others why you were leaving, and that is to be respected; welcome back! I appreciate your viewpoints, thanks for commenting. I particularly agree with your statement:

"I grow very tired of being quieted because those that speak louder gain the floor".

...happens too often. Everyone needs to be heard, not just those who think (and note the word THINK) they are "good looking/intelligent/non-weak minded/genius/non-flammable/four dimensional/intellectual/progressive", ad nauseum.

Popbumper

Thanks pop - I had thought not. I guess I was itching to make a statement and this served as a stepping stone.

I have warned you all about the voices and how they appear at the most inopportune moments. They are so rude.......

BTW - everyone should check out the sock puppet thread that is starting - it has a chance to relieve the tension. We have two weeks before Amy pulls the socks over our fingers.

It is called 'Name that Alter ego"

----------------

On 6/28/2004 8:55:51 PM popbumper wrote:

----------------

[/blockquote>

Hey Pop,

I told the people who needed to know. You shoulda emailed me. I didn't know you cared.

I came back when I had something to say.

BTW, the "drama" occurred while I was gone. Notice how everyone's happy now?

Hey Pop,

I told the people who needed to know.... I didn't know you cared.

##Oops, I didn't realize this was on a "need to know" basis. Like I said, I didn't make the team; at least you "care" enough to respond now.

I came back when I had something to say.

##So, you had nothing to say, hence your leaving? Is this possible? OK, I have been corrected. So, will your recently departed friend also return when he has something to say, too?

BTW, the "drama" occurred while I was gone. Notice how everyone's happy now?

##Unbeknownst, perhaps Henry is funnier than you after all; I'll have to get back after soem careful consideration. Perhaps I should start a "who is happy" thread?

Popbumper

9.gif

----------------

On 6/28/2004 11:38:26 PM fini wrote:

Notice how everyone's happy now?

----------------

This is happiness? I took a poll and only 3 of my 17 (known) voices said they were happy. Getting someone to be impartial to take the poll was the hard part and took about 4 hours of negotiation. I had to give up Linguini on Thursday night for a Fennel (YUK!) Salad just to maintain an even keel.