Artto, Please don't leave!

Istari

Artto,

I value your knowledge of the Heritage line, room acoustics and the GMR.

I suppose that by not spelling out what GMR means I too will face the wrath of the Mighty Moderator!

Hang in there Artto!!!

PS I've never been banned or had a topic locked, thought it was time....

(This is in reference to Artto's "This is what I Mean" topic located in General Questions)

He'd better not!! He's given me just enough knowledge about room design to SERIOUSLY screw things up if he leaves now! I still have unanswered questions! I know there are a lot of other members with vast knowledge and experience with room design and set up, but Arttos' room has that "wow" factor, if you know what I mean. I don't doubt it would be easy to make a "wow" looking room and have it sound like crap. I want the "wow" look and the sound to back it up.

who said anything about leaving? 16.gif

They'll have to kick me off first. Then you'll know that its probably time for everyone to leave.

You know I have a college degree, am successful in business advising companies on process re-engineering and implementing successful IT infrastructures, and I have no IDEA what rules are being applied here. It is stated over and over that there is a simple rule. No flames. Wonderful.

Then it is politics are banned because they are inherently offensive - THIS coming from a representative of an American company. Politics are a necessary discourse to have any chance of a proper democratic Republic. But they are banned. OK. NOW you can't even discuss character or personality traits because they are 'political.' Any discussions on religion, war, corporate functions, trade deficits, labor laws, pension plans, and, indeed, history are apparently all banned as they are all ingrained in politics.

C&S warned long ago. Politics are part of everything. Others warned where does it stop; maybe others are beginning to understand... it doesn't. Anything interpreted as political in nature - mentioning a movie for Chrissakes - is subject to moderation, censorship and deletion. Step on the wrong side of the dogma followed by the leadership and your post and presence aren't welcomed. I don't even want to hear it is "Klipsch's forum', any juvenile can recognize that. I visit a multitude of forums and political discussions come and go. The moderators understand the evils "INHERENT" in censorship and resort to it only when a thread is out of control and nothing but an insult fest.

Amy is frustrated people disagree with her actions and are 'undermining' her efforts. I am frustrated her 'rule' has no firm basis in enforcement. Flames abound but those threads aren't shut down. The same people hurl the same tired insults and same bait and nothing is done. Mention anything political and out come the 'rules.' Now it is disagree with her and out come the 'rules' because people are tired of hearing it. Do all of us a favor and just skip the 'eliminate' flames bit; simply reiterate you reserve the right to delete anything you please. That is more akin to what is happening and easy to understand.

This board doesn't exist without its membership; when the ruler fails to grasp his actions are themselves undermining his efforts and disregards the complaints with such little regard as to invite his subjects to leave, he eventually finds himself ruling an empty fiefdom.

• Moderators

I don't want artto to leave either!

I just would like everyone to stop rehashing the same complaints and get back to the fun audio/entertainment stuff. Artto just caught me at a frustrated moment 1.gif

Since much of this forum is built around relationships, it's tough to just stay on audio topics. In a way, it would be like Debbie and myself only being allowed to talk about our marriage. The relational aspect means we chat about all kinds of stuff.

If some of us would have had more self control and consideration for one another, it probably wouldn't have come to this. We made our bed and now we have to sleep in it -- and poor Amy has to make sure we tuck in the corners. That's just the way it is now, and we need to get with the program instead of whining about it.

I want to apologize to everyone for my past contributions that have sometimes lead to the less than ideal atmosphere here.

I don't see why we just don't over to Taylor's forum if we want to chat and rumble. It's nice that he provided this additional avenue for communication. We should take advantage of it.

• Moderators

Thanks AK-4. I appreciate the comments.

I really don't mind off topic conversations in the General section, I hope I didn't give that impression. I just ask that it doesn't turn into personal attacks.

----------------

On 6/28/2004 6:35:29 PM nicholtl wrote:

Nobody said it better than Anarchist. I wish flame wars were the only thing that required the rules to be brought in, but not discussions over current events.

----------------

From what I have read, it seems that current events used to be fair game around here, until they turned into flame wars. I haven't been around as long as many, but I gather this is something the forum brought upon itself.

David

• Moderators

Anarchist,

You must have posted after I posted my short one, b/c I just noticed it...

First of all, mentioning a "movie" doesn't get a thread closed, but a documentary undermining our current president? Um, yeah, that is just a tad political.

Second, I've already explained the rules. I don't always have time to nitpick every thread, so some personal attacks will get by me. I'm not perfect.

And David is right. Thanks for seeing forrest through the trees. If you guys can stop flaming each other about who's audio solution is best, then maybe we can slowly try entering the political realm again. Until then, I see no need.

And I'm not worried about ruling over an empty kingdom. I've had enough feedback privately from people who support what I am doing for that.

I think a major part of the problem stems from the fact that the current events of today are so very emotionally charged. So that when you, me or whomever offer a critique of a position on a particular topic or event its taken very personally. I am not saying that is right or wrong, its hard not to get upset by the events that unfold from day to day, but I think that is the way things just are. I personally believe, and obviously not everyone will agree with this, but rather than post immediately on an issue just step back and let things flow a bit, in other words just because you can post does not necessarily mean you should, nor does it mean you should not. Most times I dont post because I see that people are usually fairly attached to their position in their post. We are dealing with war, terrorism, a presidential election, economic issues and times are pretty tough. I think people tend to be more aggressive just to get their point in and that is not making for a very cohesive environment. I certainly dont want people not to have a voice or not be able to express it, but rather just use a little extra self-control. For the most part we have a fantastic group of members on this forum but we also have some very hurt feelings and ill will felt that in my opinion needs to take a back seat but as long as we keep firing off these potential e-bombs things are not going to get any better. I also enjoy this forum very much and it was not the political perspectives espoused here that brought me here; it was my love for my Klipsch speakers. I realize this is getting very Kumbayaish (if that is a word) but I think cooler heads need to prevail for a while. I myself come here to take a break from everything going on around me. I work with the DOD and my day is usually fairly involved in the events unfolding. So I feel that supporting the moderators request to leave the political issues elsewhere is a good idea. But those are just my thoughts.

Amy, not arguing, and I haven't seen Moore's last two documentaries, but there is a very large difference between undermining our President and presenting current events within a framework unfavorable to certain viewpoints. Having one brother who just arrived back stateside from deployment and service in Iraq, only to have a second brother pass him in the Atlantic on his way over to Iraq, this topic is one that should be vigorously discussed and debated.

I don't want to be one of the families whose voices get buried and overwhelmed by Republican or Democratic labels. The Klipsch forum has a cadre of folks who are among the more literate, educated, and knowledgable in all the forums I visit. It would be a great service if there could be a section created that would allow for extensive OT discussions with gloves off. Many of the slams, jabs, and flames recur because there are very subtle nibbles until someone gets pissed, and the war erupts. An OT section would allow pressure venting without bans or people dropping out.

Controlled burns often are more easily managed than conflagrations, and they have the tendancy to keep people happy.

I stay away from these. I've said that before. But here I am.

Where I see as a lot of the problem is as follows:

Initial post: What do you guys think of the Quazimotto XQZ-1 amp?

Reply #1 It's ok, but a little harsh in the highs.

Reply #2 It's better in the highs if you use a better crossover.

Reply #3 It's got clear highs if you use a tube preamp.

Reply #4 It's rotten, I had one hooked up to my QVC Mach 12 preamp.

Reply #5 Your QVC sucks hind teat.

Reply #6 Your momma sucks hind teat.

Reply #7 His momma couldn't find a teat.

Reply #8 My Yokohama pre will eat your Quazimotto for lunch, it

SUCKS.

Reply #9 Why don't you just buy some real equipment?

Reply #10 Reagan used Quazimotto, what does that tell you?

Reply #11 (Un-named user) uses Quazimotto, so it's obviously rotten.

Reply #12 (From un-named user) Kiss my a$$, you scum.

Reply #13 For lack of purpose, this thread has been closed. Amy Unger

It had a good start, someone looking for information, then got sidetracked by someone else, and the whole thing went down the dumper. I see it happen all the time. Sure, there are the obvious threads that aren't going to live, they seem to grow a life of their own over the weekends, but I haven't seen ANY thread, based on audio discussions, that STAYED ON TOPIC, get shut down. You wanna talk gun control, judgement of our national policy on Iraq, crap about another forum member, fine, go over to Taylors' forum. Those of you that are more interested in audio, I prefer you stay here and discuss just that, audio.

Enough said.

Edit: I do agree that an OT Hot Seat forum would be a good idea, but not sure it's in Klipschs' best interest to have that on a board they sponsor. Something could be taken out of context and inappropriatly used against them.

Don't forget replies 14 - 40

"God dammit, will you stupid ****ing morons quit ****ing flaming each other! What a bunch of idiots and *******s -- stop flaming -- AAAAAHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG."

I have been reading all the locked down threads trying to get a handle on when the thread goes bad and deserves to be shut down. To be honest I don't see it. It seems to me that everyone has been going out of their way to be civil no matter what side of the fence they are on.

But the one common denominator for every shut down thread seems pretty obvious to me. If the subject starts veering to the left its time to pull the plug.

I think I finally understand the rules. If the subject would not be acceptable on Fox News its not acceptable here. But thats just my opinion.