$6000 to spend, what to do. Please help

DA1984

I have $6000 total to spend on a TV and Speakers. I have all the other equipment I need. Originally I had planned on going this way:

Sony Grand Wega 60" rear projection LCD

RF-35s, RC-35, RS-35

SVS 20-39 PC-Plus

Now I'm not so sure, I really like the TV and Sub, however, Ive read some bad reviews on the RC-35 and think maybe the RF5s are better than the RF35s. But Im not sure what would be a good match for the RF-5s since the RC-3II and RS-3s dont seem to be available other than on the net.

Please help me to get the most bang for my buck, Im welcome to all opinions and schools of thought. Thanks

Well, the only problem is that Ive never had a chance to audition any of those lines, Im sure they are balls by the way people talk, but it comes down to finding a place to hear them, at least once before I purchase, especially for used speakers.

Any ideas on anything currently being manufactured?

What Sub are you looking at?, Im building a new house, room dimension is 19.8x12.2x8 Should sound very suit considering those dimensions are nearly at an ideal rations. Im running a HK AVR 330 currently and am rather pleased with it.

"If you want the most bang for the buck, buy used heritage for your speakers. Cornwall fronts and the rest heresys. JMHO of course."

YES!!!! That's the ticket. For what the original poster will spend on the Reference, he can have bigger Heritage that will eat them for breakfast. He could also buy RF-7s that would compete with the Cornwalls, but there goes the budget.

I do also heartily recommend that this poster investigate the wonders of Heritage Klipsch before spending a single dime on his gear.

Heritage Klipsch in HT rules the planet. No where else can you get so much, for so little.

The SVS sub is, generally speaking, recommended.

If the poster could tell us more about the room size and other electronics they plan to use, we can give even more detailed recommendations.

2 Cornwalls - $1,000

4 heresys - $800 2 for your center and 2 for surrounds

1 SVS - $1,000????

That leaves $3200 for a TV. I also gave you the high end prices for the speakers. You should be able to get them in NM to Mint condition for those prices. If you want to match everything, look for oiled walnut. They're the easiest to find. I also have no idea how much the SVS costs. That was a guess. Is $3200 enough for your big screen?

Also, Gary, the poster might consider the Chorus for mains, as they take less floor space, sound similar to the Cornwall, and are usually less expensive than Cornwalls (by 100-200 per pair, generally speaking).

This all might be a bit overkill for a room that size, but if the poster ever moves this to a larger area, he will have a system to fill it. Also, he would have speakers for life.

I would spend the most money on the center chanel and sub. It appears that you have the bottom end covered with the SVS. The RC-7 works great with the RF-5's. The center channel gets the most work for HT. Also the SVS will more than take care of everything between 20 and 80Hz, so the selection of LF and RF isn't so critical. Carl

Another vote for heritage!

I took my Heresys to my local Klipsch dealer and compared them to the reference speakers rf35/rf5/rf7/rb75 and ... I still have my Heresys.

With a good sub the Heresys are unbeatable for that price.

Get 5 of them and a decent sub and you will be happy!

I'm 4 hours away from St. Louis (am actually planning a trip there later this summer)... I'm very happy with Forte mains, Academy center, and RS3 surrounds (would prefer RS7's, but have not the space for them).

Definitely Heritage; the biggest problem is with having the patience to play the used market until you get fortunate, lucky, or whatever takes to score exactly what you want.

Next to Heritage, I would seriously consider Legends: KLF30 mains, and KLF-C7 center... the C7 is easier to find at a decent price than the Academy.

One other note; horns want and need to be fed well; you will appreciate them more with a terrific amplifier.

I would get the RC-7 center and 4 RB-75s that will run $2,500.00 or less if they are willing to bargain with you.

Speakers: $2,500.00

SVS: $825.00

TV: Leaves you $2,600.00 or so for a TV which will get you a nice 65" RPTV

Personaly I like the look of the Reference much better than Heritage and if the sound difference is that big of a deal simply send your x-overs to DeanG and the problem is solved.