New Equipment, getting teary

ncsubum

I just picked up a NAD C372...WOW!

For those who don't know the specs...

170x2 @.02%THD Class A amp (what it says in the man.)

150x2 @.02%THD Class A amp (what it says on the webpage)

Either way WOW!

My buddy (tunemanjjw) and i picked up a pair of them for $1120 at a retail store thats is dropping NAD. We went, we listened, we wanted to play w/the NADS (haha) at home...so we bought them.

Went to his place and hooked it up to his rf-7's...switching out his Beast Sherwood Newcastle R-725...165x2@.02THD...which has always been the reference that we've compared things to...

The NAD was much clearer, awsome quality...and articulates everything very well. like a light haze had been lifted.

After playing for 3 hours I headed home (i was visiting him in Durham, NC and had to drive back to Winston-Salem) got home, hooked it up and listened softly for a few hours...the low end is so full and tight...much better than the old 110x2@.015THD yamaha reciever i was using.

I woke up this morning...turned it on...my house is vacant (like a sign from God) so i cranked it with Dave Grusin - Days of Wine and Roses. AMAZING, I seriously almost started crying. Its the first time i've really approached live levels...and it was crystal clear the entire time. No cracking, wasn't bright at all, and the low end, OH MY the low end...I could feel it in my chest, my back, and my butt, every breath was full of it, and it may very well be the best thing i've ever experienced (maybe not...but its def. cool)

ok...sorry, just had to express how amazed i am...the rf-7's sounded better on my equipment than anything else...but w/this new amp its something special...i really didn't know what the 7's had in them. Klipsch truely made an awsome speaker.

Chris

Not even a handful here have ever heard the RF-7s being pushed by serious amplification. What a shame.

Though I'm quite satisfied with my '03 Klipschorns, I certainly hope to see the day where I can replace the RF7's I sold to my son to get them. There is no bliss which compares to a pair of RF-7s in full stride.

I Just read the topic about Reference vs. Heritage

a few points:

reference being "bright" and "harsh"

i NEVER thought my 5's were harsh...they're so sweet and flat...not as much range as the 7's on the low end but mid's and vocals were so on-point. I thought the 7's were a little bright til' i got the new amp...i realize it was just my old amplifier that wasn't smooth on the top end.

the heritage line such as the k-horns and lascala roll off at 17khz vs 20khz for most other speakers...thats going to tone them down some and make them less "harsh" with the same amp that make the 7's sound "harsh". Also, most of the other klipsch speakers that are down 3 at 20k don't have the 102db efficiency of the 7's...which will makes them a little less prone to picking up the harshness of the amplifier.

Midrange

the 5's midrange was awsome...the 8's are perfectly suited for that job

the 7's woofers move very little, even at full tilt they look like they're barely moving, its low end range is achieved by tuning. By moving little, they are quite good at producing the extra range needed by only being a 2-way.

Low end

it was stated that the 10's don't have the surface area of the 15's in the heritage line...while that may be true (15% less surface area) they're tuned very well and have maxed my spl meter out at 30hz (127db)

i doubt the heritage line 15's have an extreme amount of excursion...being they were created in the 40's...

the 7's are outstanding. i've never heard a heritage speaker so i don't know what i'm missing i guess. I just can't believe it gets a whole lot better. I'm sure artto's setup sounds better than most of us have ever heard...just from pure room acoutical perfection. I'd like to see a pair of 5's or 7's in there.

NAD is an excellent brand with a well-deserved reputation.

I would take a pass on the RF series vs. the Heritage, though... a pair of Khorns is a time-proven design that represents a de facto true performance standard in both efficiency, frequency response, and footprint.

Also, in a serious Khorn demonstration, I did not find the highs to be lacking at all. As a matter of fact, I didn't think that anything was missing, period.

DM2.gif

I personally have never auditioned any Reference Series horn speakers yet, but would like to someday. I love Heritage and my Cornwalls, but I see no reason why I would have to remain loyal only to Heritage loudspeakers. I bet I'd also be perfectly happy with a pair of RF-5s or RF-7s...I like my bro's KG 5.5s!

Hell, as long as I'm loyal to Klipsch, that's all that matters.

Glad to hear the NAD is bringing you that much closer to musical nirvana! Enjoy.2.gif

I had not heard the RF 7s before a couple of weeks ago. My Brother in Law, after hearing my Cornwalls, recently purchased a pair. His wife wouldnt allow Cornwalls because of the size and he was concerned with the hassle of finding them and shipping them etc. So even though I had never heard them I suggested that he look at the RF line. He settled on the 7s. I had no idea how big they were!!!

I have to say they sounded pretty good - even with so so HT equipment, and not really set up in a listening environment. They definitely had the forward presence that I love about my Klipsch speakers. And although they were very robust across the sound spectrum I did find them a tad harsh compared to my Belles and Cornwallis. I would very much like to hear them in my system in order to make a fair comparison. But I have a feeling they would fit in just right. Anyway something to look forward to!!!!

Josh

Im glad you love your setup, it is truly satisfying to finally have a nice stereo system that you can enjoy for a long time, nothing like cranking on the amps and popping in some Freddie Mercury solo albums and jamming away. You think those RF-7's are awesome now, wait till you have DeanG do his crossover modifications to them, it truly wakes up these beasts and cleans up the low end and high end and makes them sound so much more smoother, richer and robust than stock, it is truly an amazing experience. Ive had DeanG do my RF-7's crossovers with Auricaps and all high end components and it woke them up, I am truly satisfied with my system as of now and cant wait to get my Dynaco Mark III's back from NOSvalves from some overhauling.1.gif

I hadn't realized NAD made, or makes a class-A amp. I would expect Class-A and RF-7 to be an impressive match.

Leo

Well almost ; I just checked the NAD web page ..

" .. Inside, weve upgraded the Pure Class A preamp and driver stage modules using the latest high performance semi-conductors. .."

Still, that's class A right up to the output transistors. Getting it right there can be tricky too, but it sounds like NAD has done well.

"it was stated that the 10's don't have the surface area of the 15's in the heritage line...while that may be true (15% less surface area) they're tuned very well and have maxed my spl meter out at 30hz (127db"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lets see the 127 db, what kind of amp did you use for that type of volume? Set up the db. meter and post a pic. Got 5 bucks says no way.Rob10.gif