Trivia question - what member of Jethro Tull went on to start Black Sabbath?

Powdermonkey 9.gif

Gary, he was with Tull for the recording sessions right before Barre came in. They had a good portion of the songs in the can, and then Ozzy talked to Tony, and adios.

Here are a few more...

Name the prominent name these bands used before they settled on their final name-

The Beatles(easy)

CCR

Grateful Dead(Gary has to name three)

Yes

Hello,

Is this Revisionist History 101?

Tony Iommi was never a 'member' of Jethro Tull. Earth (Black Sabbath) was already formed. Tony agreed to be an emergency fill-in for the departed guitarist and played guitar on one song on the album and made an appearance for their tv. Auditions were being held to find a guitarist to join the band - Martin.

It was not Ozzy who talked to Tony Iommi, it was Tony Iommi who went and got Ozzy.

Anarchist, no revisionist history, just differing memories of the principles from a time 35 years ago, ala Lennon and McCartney arguing over which two songs they first played together when they first met.

BTW, Tony has more musical ability in his nail trimmings than Ozzy ever dreamed about, so I'm more inclined to believe the version you know of. One of my favorite money winners is how many songs did Jimmy Page play on for Herman's Hermits? It ALWAYS gets the Zep fans so lathered up they can't conceive of him ever being a studio musician that played on whatever would pay him for the week.

Oh, thems fighting words Mr. Dave. Ozzy is THE man. His solo career after Sabbath showed who knew what was up while Tony languished in mediocrity.

Revisionist or not - Tony was never a member of Tull; he was, as you so wonderfully referenced, merely a paid studio musician to hold them over till they selected a new guitarist.

Ozzy! Ozzy! Ozzy!

Grateful Dead - no recollection, the internet search says:

Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Band

Warlocks

Grateful Dead

This is excluding Garcia's various relationships with other bands before getting the core together.

Ok - I cheated and used the internet and did not validate so feel free to slice me off at the ankles.

----------------

On 7/23/2004 9:17:57 AM hwatkins wrote:

Grateful Dead - no recollection, the internet search says:

Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Band

Warlocks

Grateful Dead

This is excluding Garcia's various relationships with other bands before getting the core together.

Ok - I cheated and used the internet and did not validate so feel free to slice me off at the ankles.

----------------

I wish I had looked in this thread earlier.

One correction:

It was "Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions." The Warlocks is correct. Back in the late 80s or early 90s they came back and did a few small shows as The Warlocks so as not to attract huge crowds.

Can anyone tell me what the names of 2 of Garcia's bluegrass bands were in 1963 and 1964? Band members? Anyone who can tell me at least the names of the bands will get a copy of one of their shows.

Talk about hijacking a thread!9.gif