Tube Audio club

neo33

In the interest of keeping tube audio alive in the 2-Channel forum, I'd like to create a Tube Audio Club and nominate a club keeper. I will also be donating some tube gears (i.e. preamps, amps, etc.) to the club and I'd encourgage you folks to do the same. The purpose of the club is to introduce tube audio to members that have never listen to tube gears on their Klipsch speakers and also allow exposed members to listen to different tube topology (i.e. SET, PP, etc.). We can devise a way to circulate the gears to members when the club is formed. What do you folks think about this idea?

The first piece of gear I'd like to donate to the club is a Vintage Scott 299B Integrated tube amp.

Trey or Amy, is it possible to have this thread "pinned"?

----------------

On 7/21/2004 1:18:36 PM neo33 wrote:

In the interest of keeping tube audio alive in the 2-Channel forum, I'd like to create a Tube Audio Club and nominate a club keeper. I will also be donating some tube gears (i.e. preamps, amps, etc.) to the club and I'd encourgage you folks to do the same. The purpose of the club is to introduce tube audio to members that have never listen to tube gears on their Klipsch speakers and also allow exposed members to listen to different tube topology (i.e. SET, PP, etc.). We can devise a way to circulate the gears to members when the club is formed. What do you folks think about this idea?

The first piece of gear I'd like to donate to the club is a Vintage Scott 299B Integrated tube amp.

Trey or Amy, is it possible to have this thread "pinned"?

----------------

Hello:

An excellent idea. Perhaps some accurate articles could be written and passed out also regarding some basic tube knowledge - identifying tube makers, substitutions for certain tubes, how to spot counterfeits.

A knowledge base as well as an equipment base. As known, I am dealing with medical bills but after I would be willing to to send out some tubes or put information that I know along with input from Guy, Mark, Craig, Dean et al.. I am not leaving anyone out by not mentioning names - there is too large a base for me to mention everyone, so I will be diplomatic.

But, as an idea I support and will try to GIVE support in any way deemed acceptable.

As Allan did with the Blue Note question and Copy of one as a prize, this lends much credence to the Forum and even more to the originators.

Thank You Both.

dodger

My Luxman MB3045 are not leaving the house without me. Neither is the Audio Research SP6. Or the Shanling SCD-T200 tube SACD player, or any of my gear for that matter. Donating this kind of gear is out of the question (for me). Anyone who wants to hear them are more than welcome over to my place for a listen and are welcome to bring whatever they want for comparison. I know this doesn't solve the "how will it sound in my system" aspect of things, but there's plenty of used gear floating around on Ebay and Audiogon from some compulsive neurotic audiophile who belongs to the "equipment of the month club" that you can pick up for a song without submitting yourself to absorbing a lot of depreciation, not to mention the very competitive and often liberal dealer loan/return policies out there.

I feel the same way as Artto. I have a number of tube amps but this sounds like a shipping kind of venture. I'm not comfortable shipping any tube components. I'd be happy to bring my fisher X-100-C to someones place for a test drive if they're close by.

I don't think Neo is suggesting that we donate our current "reference" equipment to be loaned out.

Artto and Dean - I wouldn't ship my VTL Monoblocks either - nor would I necessarily just "give them away".

Perhaps we can look around and see if we have any tube equipment that is going unused and that isn't particularly fragile (like the Scott 299 that Neo mentioned) that could be donated to the "equipment pool" to be sampled by some of the Forum Faithful.

The idea sounds, to me, kind of like Mark Deneen's "Road Show". Some structure and parameters would need to put in place to keep equipment from "disappearing", but it seems like a reasonable idea to me.

A suitable container would need to be constructed for each piece of equipment to minimize the shipping risks, but if the equipment is not TOO heavy or TOO fragile, it should be do-able.

Maybe someone with some technical prowess could donate a bit of his time to assist with the occasional pit-stop (scheduled or unscheduled6.gif ).

Too weird?

Hey - If anybody's still itching to try crappy '70s Quadraphonic solid state amplification, I've got a pretty SWEET Pioneer receiver I could donate!2.gif

I have to agree that I wouldn't ship my "good stuff" around the country for others to sample, but several forum members have come here to have a listen.

I did ship a spare amp (Monarchy SM-70) to several forum members to see what a 25wpc SS class A amp could do in their system. Of course the Monarchy is very durable, basically one big piece of metal and not easily damaged in shipping.

All for it, I have quite a few tubes I could pass around. I received my bottleheads monday and havent had time for the forum,. Been stuck in front of my chorus` tring to figure out exactly what it is thats happening. You guys with this stuff already no where im coming from, Ill explain later about my latest tubes and treasures, Rob

This is a good idea, but it may be difficult to execute properly. I would like to compare SET to my 299D (in my house) if I had the opportunity.

"Anyone who wants to hear them are more than welcome over to my place for a listen.." Hey Artto, looks like I'll be in the Chicago area for a couple of days next month on business, hint, hint 1.gif .

Here goes. A tube list, from a member of the diytube forum. These are all the nine pin variety. No comments on the qualities of these, just the substitutions:

12AX7A: ECC83, E83CC, 5751, 6681, 7025, 7058, 7729, CV492

12AU7A: ECC82, E82CC, 5814A, 5963, 6067, 6189, 6680, 7739, CV491

12AT7: ECC81, E81CC, 6060, 6201, 6679, 7728

12AV7: 5695, 6072, 6414

6DJ8: ECC88, 6922, 6211, 6N1P, 6N1P-EB, 7DJ8, PCC88 (the 7 volt versions work OK on 6.3VAC)

The Russian 6N1Ps have higher filament current requirements, 600 mA instead of 300 mA.

The 12AU7 also has 6, 7 and 9 volt filament versions. (6AU7, 7AU7 and 9AU7)

6BQ5: EL84, EL84M, EL84S, E84L, 7189, 7189A, 7320, N709, CV2975, CV8069, CV10321, 6P14P, 6P14P-EB (SV83, 6P15P)*

6BQ5 also has an 8 volt (8BQ5) and 10 volt (10BQ5) filament version.

* SV83 and 6P15P are similar, but have lower screen voltage ratings.

7247 and 12DW7 are equivalent (used in original Dynaco ST-35 and others) These are 1/2 of a 12AX7 and 1/2 of a 12AU7).

As a continuation, a great program to have is the one from Duncan Amps:

http://www.duncanamps.com/

In the software to download section. A standalone program with tons of tubes and there ratings/specs.

Marvel