How deep are your pockets ?

Dale W

----------------

On 7/22/2004 6:04:10 PM artto wrote:

My pockets are plenty deep enough. Fortunately my brain has more depth than my pockets.
3.gif

----------------

Yup i used that reasoning when i passed up on a 1970 426 hemi cuda for 10k back in 1993 , my best freind bought it instead. Sat on it for 10 years , little detailing some small trim work here and there . New graphics on the doors and quarters , about $2500.00 in parts and labour all together .

Well !!! He sold it to one of you nice american fellows in late 2003 for $96,000.00 usd .

Which BTW is pretty dam close to $125,000.00 canadain .

One mans junk may be anothers gold " but " who's to say which is which ?

EDIT : Did i forget to mention i'm a licenced automotive & a licenced auto body mechanic that manages a General moters dealership fixed operations . In my spare time i judge car shows and sound off competitions as well . Whole problem was i have an extreme dislike for chrysler in general ( kind of like some guys around here who hate every brand but klipsch ) so my own admission cost me huge in the end .

----------------

On 7/23/2004 8:12:35 AM mdeneen wrote:

As for passing up deals, and the future value of things now considered junk, I offer the following theory to all who are starting out in life.

1) First things first - rent a mini-storage locker of decent size. Doesn't matter the cost - just do it.

2) Put EVERYTHING, and I do mean everything, you are "done with" inside the locker. Kids toys, old clothes, useless Wal-Mart items, old dishes etc. Don't discard anything, especially the stuff your kids play with and then are tired of. If possible, keep ALL packaging such as boxes, instruction manuals whatever. No matter how useless it looks today, put it in storage.

3) When that locker is full, rent another one. Etc.

4) Wait 20 years.

5) When your kids are ready to start college, begin to remove the oldest items first - voila - yesterday's "junk" is now worth a fortune to collectors. And you thought that 'Spiderman" toy inside the Happy Meal was junk? Now it is bringing $50 on Ebay.

6) If you have done your work carefully, and really saved ALL OF IT, you can now retire with your "income" being yesterday's trash.

Good Luck!

mdeneen
----------------

Damn you, Mark Deneen. Damn you to a hell of muzak and distributed sound. I'm taking you seriously, and I'm thinking that's a good idea...

Damn you.

----------------

On 7/23/2004 9:48:11 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Everything seems to be collectable except old computers.
----------------

I for one think that old computers are the 'cat's Meow'. Those old analogue bits were of far better quality than today's current digital bits. You just cannot get the same comfortable results with bits retrieved from magnetic drive than the ones that are stored on tape.

When you go from frequency stored bits (not the new fangled on/off type bits) through the computer to the analogue input to a monitor you are able to faithfully reproduce the original intent of the bit. Nowadays you have to translate the digital bit to an analogue presentation on the monitor - That results in so much of the original information being summarized , averaged and requires tons of special alogarythms. There is just too many places where the information is degraded....

----------------

On 7/23/2004 12:55:19 PM iwillwalk wrote:

DALE

YOU PASSED ON A
HEMI CUDA??

even for somone who sells gm

----------------

Ya ! who would have thought that market would have gone through the roof ?

Dam Nash Bridges show was the best thing ever to happen to the cuda's image.

I have another real good friend that has a 1970 cuda with a 440 six pack , he's been offer'ed in the low 60k mark but refuses to sell his baby.

I could likly get some nice pictures of that car , he's olny a block away from my work right now.

I've built and shown about a dozen vehicles in the past 20 years , the novelty has wore off and it's olny work now . I still have a 1937 5 window chev coupe thats unrestored . I will build this car for my 6 year old son casey and it will be my very last project ever .