Adapter from laptop to car CD player?

m00n

Hey all, do you guys remember back when portable CD players became the rage? You could get an adapter that would plug into the headphone jack on the portable CD player, on the other end it had a device that looked like a casette tape that would slide into your tape deck, this way you could play CD's in your car.

Well, I'm looking for something like that only I want to go from the back of my laptop, and pipe the audio into my jeep's audio via the CD player in the dash. Reason is, is that when we take long trips we like to setup the laptop in the back so the boys can watch movies while we are traveling long distances. However, the jeep being as loud as it is with the soft top on, it's hard for them to hear those tiny little laptop speakers. So I was hoping to use the jeeps speakers.

Any ideas?

Thanks

m00n

m00n! Where in the Hell have you been, stranger? I think you have become "JEEP-A-FIED"!!!! LOL!9.gif

I understand the device you are referring to as I own a Sony Car Discman. But the device works only going to a cassette deck. I have not seen one that plugs into a vehicular CD player. Does your Jeep have a cassette deck, too? If it does, I'll mail mine (cord adapter) out to you! I don't use it any more because my truck & the wife's Cobra already have CD players.

Nope Jeep only has CD player. Yeah I figured it was a long shot that there would be anything like this, but ya never know whats out there these days.

Where have I been? Ohhhhh, haning out on various jeep forums. Asking questions about lift kits, skid plates, wenches, bumpers that kind of thing. Just got back from camping this last weekend and part of this week.

there is another option that you can try....

purchase a pair of cheap computer speakers...one of the ones that has an ac adapter that has one of those 9V small round plugins for the power to the back of the pc speaker...throw out your ac cord. purchase a car power adapter that converts from the cigarette light to the same type of 9V plug on the back of your speaker...now you've got two speakers that will play mighty louder than before.

im sure that you can take this idea to new extremes (you seem to have a tendancy to do that anyway)...so provide lots of pics if you do anything crazy 2.gif (like mounting the speakers in the back of the headrests or something like that)

----------------

On 7/23/2004 12:16:30 PM DrWho wrote:

im sure that you can take this idea to new extremes (you seem to have a tendancy to do that anyway)...

----------------

Who me?11.gif2.gif

Yeah i have a little adapter, it's what powers the laptop. I've thought about extra speakers but space is limited, I would have to do exactly what you said about haning them on the front seats.

The one thing that intreagues me though is that on the jeep there is a speaker bar, here is a pic.

p1771.JPG

I'm wondering if there is a way I can tie into the speakers themselves, however, I doubt that my PC would power them.

Pull your head unit out and take a look at the back side. Chrysler made a lot of head units that had inputs and controlls for a cd changer in the back. The older ones were round, I think they are square now. I would think that you might be able to modify a connector cord to allow you to put a jack somewhere and play through your radio that way. Just a thought, it might or might not help2.gif

----------------

On 7/23/2004 1:02:51 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 7/23/2004 12:16:30 PM DrWho wrote:

im sure that you can take this idea to new extremes (you seem to have a tendancy to do that anyway)...

----------------

Who me?
11.gif2.gif

Yeah i have a little adapter, it's what powers the laptop. I've thought about extra speakers but space is limited, I would have to do exactly what you said about haning them on the front seats.

The one thing that intreagues me though is that on the jeep there is a speaker bar, here is a pic.

p1771.JPG

I'm wondering if there is a way I can tie into the speakers themselves, however, I doubt that my PC would power them.

----------------

You'd need to have some form of amplifier to power the speakers...it wouldn't be hard to build an amp A/B switch to switch between a seperate amp and your head unit...your head unit might even have pre outs for using a seperate amp...in which case you could always use a line level A/B switch which would be a bit safer.

you could always use multiple pairs of headphones using y-adapters.

I definitly thought about headphones, but my 3 year old would never go for that not only that, but the both of them would always be pissing and moaning over the volume control. My 6 year old has a hot little tember and my 3 year old knows it and exploits it.

I think I'll take a look at what options are on the back of the deck. I didn't know that some of them had inputs.

If you have controls on the head unit for say a cd changer but only have a single play unit, you most likley have the input in the back. I replaced the unit that came with my used 01 neon, (a real pos aftermarket unit) with a factory AM FM CASSETT WITH CONTROLS FOR A 5 DISK CHANGER FOR $25 with shipping from ebay. The factory 4 disc changer for the car was also ebay for $115 with shippiing. So for under $150 I have it all in a package that fits perfectly with the car.

m00n,

Apple and Belkin (among others) have a small stereo transmitter with a 1/8 stereo plug input. Plug into the line out or headphone out of the laptop. Turn on the recever in the Jeep (it does have a radio doesn't it?) and tune in. Some think they work great, some don't, but they are under $50. Apple's is designed for the iPod, but it can still be used on other gear.

Look here:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/accessories.html

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=166893

Marvel

Marvel's got the right idea. Simple and cheap and it works. I use it with my MP3 player in the cars. I have the Belkin unit that has a digital display, so I can pick any of the FM frequencies. Some of the units just let you pick from 4 frequencies and you're out of luck if there are strong stations near those frequencies. Watch for the Belkin unit to go on sale at Best Buy sometimes.

With all due respect, I'd avoid the Radio Shack unit, or any other unit that is limited to 4 frequencies. I've had both types, and I could not suggest this route. Spend the extra $10 for a multi-freq unit - I'm sure you can find one on google or ebay for not much money...