Damn Khorns Are A BYTCH to refinish.

Gilbert

Why the hell didn't anybody tell me refinishing my Khorns would be BIG PAIN. My god, I now have 1 completely taken apart, and I'm pissed that I started this in the Summer..............................Geezzzz, the temperature in my garage is well into the 100's, and I sweated my butt off taking one speaker completely apart, and then sanding each piece. WHAT A PAIN IN THEW ARSS!

Now that I'm done sanding and lyseed oiling the speaker, I now have the other one to look forward too....Uuuuhg!8.gif

Try working in a body shop sanding and painting cars all day long when its that hot outside .

TIP: Work in the early morning 1.gif

Our shop runs summer hours when it's this hot outside , we start at 5:00 am and knock off at 1:00 or so without stopping for lunch .

Good luck , i know what your going through .

Dale, while I was a student in Tampa FL, I worked part-time at a custom body shop. The guys there called me Sand-Boy, because I hated it so much. But I always loved the finished results of a perfectly sanded body, there's nothing like a glass smooth finish.

As for the reason I'm refinishing my Khorns....It's to take out a couple of minor scratches, and to remove some sticky spots that were caused when I applied my very first coat of Boiled Lynseed Oil.

Since then, I have thoroughly educated myself by reasearching threads on this forum, and by reading literature from wood finishing professionals. The scratches are (now...WERE) nothing major, they've just been bugging me since I purchased the speakers about 2.0 yrs ago.

Radiob,..this is the 4th pair of heritage that I've refinished. All were refinished per factor spec/(Andy), with Boiled Lynseed Oil. I did something slightly different from spec, in that the first coat contains a slight mix with Mineral Spirits, which is a trick I learned for thirsty neglected wood. The wood grain will more readily absorb the BLO mix if you add a little MS. About 20% MS is what I've used.

Anyway, so far, so good. I've finished 1 Khorn, and have 1 more to go. The others that I've refinished look IMO spectacular. But I am still interested in what you have to say. Please reply or PM me, thanks.

I admire anyone who can do these kinds of things on his own... In my case, I had no experience or space to refinish my Khorns. So I relied on a professional furniture refinisher for two pairs of Khorns (refinished in lacqer) and an Academy. It wasn't cheap but the results were stunning.

So, if you live anywhere near Seattle area, I highly recomment Maple Valley Furniture for refinishing Klipsch speakers professionally.

Ki

----------------

On 7/28/2004 12:52:04 PM Gilbert wrote:

Dale, while I was a student in Tampa FL, I worked part-time at a custom body shop. The guys there called me Sand-Boy, because I hated it so much.

Radiob,..this is the 4th pair of heritage that I've refinished. All were refinished per factor spec/(Andy), with Boiled Lynseed Oil. I did something slightly different from spec, in that the first coat contains a slight mix with Mineral Spirits, which is a trick I learned for thirsty neglected wood. The wood grain will more readily absorb the BLO mix if you add a little MS. About 20% MS is what I've used.

----------------

While I am sure that you have finished 4 pairs of speakers with linseed oil, it clearly shows your in-experience as a re-finisher, and should stay a SAND BOY. I am in my 14th year as a professional refinisher, paintrers union trained 4 year program, and own my own refinishing business. If you would like to read the MSDS sheets on linseed oil, and see how much you have shortened the life of your cabinets, I would be happy to provide them for you. Linseed oil is a paint additive, made to retard the dring out of EXTERIOR oil base coating. Ever wonder when the smell would go away? YE BE WARNED ON THIS FOLKS< NO LINSEED OIL, if you all would like I can give you the e-mail of Craig Oconner, he is a chemist for Old Masters coatings,he is a very knowledgeble guy, and wouild be happy to advise you. I dont know much about how audio equipment works, but I know nearly everything there is to know for furniture re-finishing.

If you would like an oil finish, buy some tounge oil, it is very easy to apply, looks good, and wont saturate the wood with a non drying oil, and protects well to. If you want to add some color to your Klipsch, then check into sikkens cetol products. Consult your local Benjerman Moore dealer, he will guide you. {and they wont stink}

Funny, BLO is what Klipsch used direct from the factory on just about all non-lacquered finishes for years! Must have been some logic as to why they used it Mr. Refinishing genuis!

I did an initial application of BLO on my Khorns when I got them a couple of years ago but I just normally use Liquid Gold spray or liquid to give them a warm glow every few months. I did not notice any adverse affects from the BLO.

While I am sure that you have finished 4 pairs of speakers with linseed oil, it clearly shows your in-experience as a re-finisher, and should stay a SAND BOY. I am in my 14th year as a professional refinisher, paintrers union trained 4 year program, and own my own refinishing business.

Actually, you sound like a 12-year old kid who has no idea what he's talking about and puts unnecessary hyphens in his words. I think I'm going with Frzninvt on this one.

Gilbert,

I know you are covered in sweat and saw dust, but POST PICTURES PLEASE.

It may get the rest of us off are lazy behinds (me for sure).

I have a pair of Cornwalls that I want to do, but I just need a little kick in the rear to go over the edge and start.

Good Luck on your project.

Danny

----------------

On 7/30/2004 7:08:41 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Funny, BLO is what Klipsch used direct from the factory on just about all non-lacquered finishes for years! Must have been some logic as to why they used it Mr. Refinishing genuis!

"I did an initial application of BLO on my Khorns when I got them a couple of years ago but I just normally use Liquid Gold spray or liquid to give them a warm glow every few months. I did not notice any adverse affects from the BLO."

----------------

LOL, why dont klipsch use it now Huh? Wonder why, if linseed oil is great! Wonder why.....

----------------

On 7/30/2004 3:06:19 PM MD1032 wrote:

Actually, you sound like a 12-year old kid who has no idea what he's talking about and puts unnecessary hyphens in his words. I think I'm going with Frzninvt on this one.

----------------

12 year old boy here, leave the refinishing to a proffesional, stay behind your desk, and run spelling checks.[img src='http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif'>

Watco Danish Oil contains:

Linseed Oil -- a large amount.

It is a drying oil, and you can read the real deal here about BLO and tung oil:

http://www.alan.net/prgfeat/tungoil.html

Polymerization takes place as BLO dries. It expands slightly. The molecules crosslink to form a solid film.

Cheers,

Marvel