WOODSTOCK PARTEEEE!!!!!

thebes

August 14, 15, and 16, 1969. I was there were you?

The Twins are out of town at a manicurists convention, but they'll be back soon.

Until they are let's have a Woodstock Party!

Here's a link to the lineup for the Festival.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/woodstock1969/real_sch.html

Launched with Richie Haven. His Freedom still sends chills down my spine. Ended with Jimmie Hendrix. Nothing like Jimmie stirring you out of your sleeping bag in the early hours with his version of the Star Spangled Banner.

So what are you bringing to the parteeeeeee! Doesn't have to be a band from the Festival, only something that fits in with "three days of Peace and Love".

All right you bunch of hippies, let's get down!

I was only 10 at the time, but remember the night my Dad got the call from Grandma telling him Uncle Pat had been killed in Vietnam. I was in bed, and heard Mom and Dad stirring around in the bedroom. I heard Dad crying in that awful kind of way that just makes you sick and scared. I'd never heard and adult cry before -- I STILL remember it.

Woodstock just makes me think about Uncle Pat, who was a soldier's soldier. Shot three times in the back while pushing two of his wounded buddies into the chopper.

Orange Sunshine, Windowpane, and Peyote some years later -- but it wasn't about peace and love -- it was just about The Trip.

PICT1980.jpg

I was in High school at the time. If you younger folks have not seen the movie...please do. There are some fantastic performances. I didnt go to Woodstock but did attend Altimont..Hells Angels and Knifing and all that .. But I did see the Burrito Bros!

Josh

Josh, bar none the finest lineup of music ever assembled on any stage.

Nobody's even mentioned Crosby Stills, Nash and Young yet. Big, large, honkin speakers were invented sounds liek these. Let's Parteeeee! People.

Just look at my avatar.

Self titled debut album. Start out with "The Golden Road To Unlimited Devotion," end the first side with "Cream Puff War" and top it off with "Viola Lee Blues." Worst lp they ever put out but still great in its own way.

They got the worst of it at Woodstock. Pouring rain with the stage literally falling apart under their feet.

Josh - I can't believe you were at Altimont. How cool is that! I've seen the movie a dozen times at least. Some bad sh!t went on at that show. The Dead were supposed to play but backed out. The Hells Angels were big fans of the Dead in the early days and used pull security duty at some of their shows.

I was invited but had to get back to base (USAF). Idid go to A three day live-in concert at Umass Dartmouth and Watkins Glen where 600,000 Dead heads showed up a two day party.3.gif3.gif3.gif

Oh yea, I got a copy of "The Best ot The Lovin Spoonful" last week at the Army.

Rick

Well Thebes, I didn't mention them, but I did post a big *** picture of them.:) Young is missing of course -- as usual.

I think most of us born in the late 50's adopted the subculture you loons set up. What's funny is that when the Hippies traded in their beads and bell bottoms for suits and real estate ventures -- we were the ones still thinking free and keeping on.

At 46, a Christian and Conservative -- I often times find Church a place where God is stuffed into a box, and Conservative politics a place where fascists are perfectly comfortable. Thinking Free and Keeping On keeps me sane.

Dean we all travel the same road but travel different highways nad byways 'till we meet again. Keep on truckin man, maybe just not to the Sha Na'Na's!

Are you feeling it yet, big amps and massive guitar licks, sense and sensibility, Free Love (could very well be the reason I signed up) and don't Bogard that Joint, my friend..

Whats playing on your 8 track?

----------------

On 8/6/2004 8:56:05 PM 3dzapper wrote:

I was invited but had to get back to base (USAF). Idid go to A three day live-in concert at Umass Dartmouth and Watkins Glen where 600,000 Dead heads showed up a two day party.
3.gif3.gif3.gif

----------------

The venue where the famous hour long version of "Dark Star" was performed. I have a beat up cassette of that show which I'm sure I picked up in college.

You mean they made more then 3 eight tracks? 3 for 3, not bad.

What! Nobody here likes Country, Joe and Fish?

Put your teeth in later. we're having a Parteeeeeeee!

PS. Look at any picture of Woodstock and you'll find me. I'm the one with long hair sitting in the mud.

----------------

On 8/6/2004 9:40:42 PM thebes wrote:

PS. Look at any picture of Woodstock and you'll find me. I'm the one with long hair sitting in the mud.

----------------

That reminds me of my favorite episode of Gilligan's Island. Ya know the one where they almost get rescued then Gilligan screws it up?3.gif

Thanks for the 'trip' on memory lane. Didn't attend, but was a fledgling hippie in those days.

Got the VHS of the original Woodstock movie, then the additional footage they put out later. Will view tonight and attempt to get in a strange frame of mind.

I remember going to the Midnight Movies at Indy's Emerson Movie theatre and watching the Woodstock flick. They had the enormous ALTEC speakers in all 4 corners of the theatre and it was AWESOME!

Michael

ps, peace, love, bobby sherman and purple ashtrays!

Yeah, that's the one. I think that song is called Wedding Bell Blues. Some of the other songs were Let the Sunshine in, Age of Aquarius, and Up, Up, and Away. I liked every song and played the piss out of it. Man, I must have really been a Stoner to listen to that thing.:)

Summer of '69...

Lived in a little dairy farm town called Pulvers Corners, over 10 miles away from that infamous pasture. I can remember my friend's older brother and sister talking about a party they were going to in Woodstock, and my friend Scott Jr. (we were both 9 then) wanted me to go along with him and his family (parents were over-the-hill hippies...groovy10.gif). I asked my mom if I could go with them (not having any clue what "Woodstock" was...I just wanted to go to this "party" with Scott Jr.), and to this day I can still hear my mom's response:

"You're not going anywhere near them "Hippy-Commie-Pervert-Freaks"!

I didn't understand what she meant at the time, and I regretably told my friend to go along without me. Now we lived out in the country amongst acres and acres of farmland and rolling hills, and during the night I can still remember seeing over the horizon this glow in the night sky. And I could at times swear I heard this faint noise just over the hills from a distant dairy farm...and when the summer night winds were just right, it sounded like some sort of music and people cheering! I either thought I was going crazy or just imagining things, but I knew I was missing out on one helluva "party"!

So I can honestly say that I attended Woodstock in the summer of '69...well, almost!10.gif