Tube Amp in Stereo Rack Survey

I have 4 pieces of tube gear, 3 in racks with lots of clearance above and behind, the other out in the open. They get hot but not too bad. Just don't put it in a tight space. Make sure you have at least 8 inches above and open in the back. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable setting it on a sub. All that rumbling can't be good for tube gear.

----------------

On 8/6/2004 11:38:56 PM garymd wrote:

I have 4 pieces of tube gear, 3 in racks with lots of clearance above and behind, the other out in the open. They get hot but not too bad. Just don't put it in a tight space.

----------------

I second the comments here. I've had tube amps in a rack (with glass doors); just make sure that there's clearance above and to the sides, and there is the ability for air to move freely on its own.

It'd be nice if you could tie it in to your forced-air system and take advantage of some of that heat. Hmm...maybe a combo high-powered amp/furnace should be the next Juicy Music product (we could call it the "Habanero," or something). I will have my people talk to Mark's. You're all sworn to secrecy on this...

I have 2 fans initially intended to cool my tube equipment. Both are now in a bag in the basement taking up space. Free to anyone who wants one or both. One is actually a finger nail drying fan. They are just too noisy for me ( although actually very quiet as far as fans go) and I wouldn't recommend using them unless you have no other choice. Better to just find a good spot for your amp. I learned the hard way.

I have each monoblock sitting behind each speaker on thick marble slabs. I plan on using the marble slabs until I get some secure wall mounted shelves installed to set them on. Uh oh I used the word set hear comes the flame war LOL.

The trick to makes fans run quieter is to operate them at half their intended voltage. I have a couple 240V fans (although I'm not using them in my current setup) that run very quietly plugged into the wall. And these eBay ones are probably good too, since they are 12 volt fans running with 6.5V. Plus you need reasonably good quality fans to begin with.

Wide open space is the best solution (plus a ceiling fan overhead helps). If I had kept the old K-mart particleboard entertainment rack and all my previous gear, I'd be in the same predicament...not festive!

An amp stand is another alternative to place your tube amp, and is a whole lot safer than sitting on a vibrating subwoofer IMO!

DSCF1521_72.jpg

post-11084-1381925737501_thumb.jpg

I have my tube tuner and Tube amps in racks. But I'm basically doing the same as Gary. Adjusted shelves for several inches of clearance between, installed rubber feet to lift chassis off shelves. I do not use any cabinets, all valves exposed. I also have a ceiling fan that generally runs for normal room air circulation.

And of course down here is Georgia, the AC is usually always on anyhow10.gif9.gif