Thoughts on Forte's

dougdrake

Hi Gang - I'm looking at a pair of Forte's that are available for about $600. They are oak finish, serial numbers 8762472/73 (vintage June 1987??). Some small scratches on the cabinet, but in pretty good shape overall. I think they sound great.

Since I can't listen to new Klipsch's next to these used ones, I'm wondering if anyone has any views on whether I'd be better off spending $600 on these Forte's or around $700 for a pair of new Klipsch's. The only ones that I suspect would be in that range with the power of the Forte's would be RF-3s.

Music tastes range from rock, to alternative, to "quiet." They would probably not be used

for HT.

Any and all input is welcome (and thanks for yours by email, Steve P!).

Those are probably Forte I's at $600 the determinate in my mind would be shipping. If they are close at hand and can be picked up, get'em. The last time I bid on Forte's 500 to 700 was the going price (Xmas 1999) if your going to ship count on a significant expense. I own a pair of Forte's and a pair of Forte II's. I love the warmth of these speakers. They should meet all the needs you describe with ease.

Doug, I agree with the gentlemen above. My best friend had Fortes for years and they were always easy to listen to. I have listened extensively to KLF series and still feel that to my ears the classic Klipsch sound more musical. Beware of the shipping as stated above. I was fortunate that when I bought my Lascala's I was able to drive to get them. I would not have purchased them if I had to pay the significant shipping. I have seen many go on audiogon in the 500 range. Good luck Joe

Doug,

I am still kicking myself for not buying Forte's. I bought my KG4's instead in 1988. The Forte's were out of my price range then. I'll bet you can't go wrong.

I did listen to some RF-3's a few days ago. They were pretty impressive too and I like how the towers get the drivers to ear level while seated. They were awesome and priced at $650 for the pair.

Good Luck.

Mike

Thanks, all, for your input. Figured I'd better get down to basics for a minute. I've been looking around the house to see where I could put these things, and due to furniture placement limitations, it looks like the only space I have for them is a wall in the living room about 7' long. I don't think that would give enough separation, do you? The alternative is to place them in my HT room, in place of the KG4s. However, the HT room is admittedly kind of small (10x11) for even my KG4s, and I suspect the Forte's would overpower the room, or the room would smother them (plus require a new center/rear channel speakers, yada, yada...). Alas, I fear my Klipsch appetite is bigger than my house!

No pressure Doug.They would work on the 7'wall for music,really they would,but no pressure.

Does the 7' wall have a corner at each side?

If they were 5' apart,could still sound nice for music.I understand.

My KG-4's and 3's were tried in my bed room 4'apart and worked very well.Room was about the size of your HT room.

The Forte's were about 9'apart in my present living room and I think they could have been closer together.

Maybe the day will come when the house will grow.They could work in both places and sound great.

Your choise.If they don't work,you could easily sell them.Just a thought.

Ross - You make an interesting observation. People design homes around K-horns making sure they have some good corners. We rearrange furniture and put up with flack from other family members (not in my case, but I've heard it can happen smile.gif ). We lose sleep typing on this crazy board.

I can't think of anything else that I've seen in a store and decided to make fit into my life or house. As you say, I am totally without need yet I have to have it. The sequence goes wish-want-need-got. Klipsch's seem to go directly from the "wish" to "got" stage!! Is this the definition of addiction? At least it is legal.

Well, I must admit that when we moved 14 years ago many houses we looked at were rejected because they didn't have the corners I needed.

However, now that i have my corners, with Khorns duly installed, the Klipschorn must be one of the *least* intrusive speakers upon home decor.

What, you say? Yes, my wife is ok with them. She places plants & other decorative elements on the floor in front of them. She's festooned the tops with lovely batik cloths, pictures & other decorative elements. (well, we had to weed out the really light objects since they will walk off the speaker during crescendos!).

And they're tall enough that other furniture items can be between then & the listening spot without messing up the sound that reaches you.

A big bonus is that our den walls are 4x4 oak veneer "library panels" separated by really nice oak mouldings. The Khorns nearly disappear against this background.

I know what you guys mean. I was in the market for a new house, specifically looking for one that would work with my Khorns. I couldn't find one that worked, so now I'm having it built. Out of all the new floor plans that are out there, I picked the one that worked best for my Khorns. Fortunately for me, I also really like the rest of the house. The most expensive piece of audio equipment I have purchased thus far has been the walls for my Khorns!

Great comments. Others just wouldn't understand.

Thanks to your encouraging input, and my wife's enthusiasm, the Forte's are now resting comfortably in my HT. I think they will displace the KG4s there. I am blown away by these speakers. They have incredible clarity, depth, slam, and warmth. They actually seem to draw me in to their sound.

Now, what to do about the KV-3 center channel and SS-1 surrounds...

Good Job Doug.........I have always wanted a pair of Forte II's or even Chorus II's...but the closest I have gotten is going from my KG4's to my current Quartets.

I'm sure you are going to give them a good home.....LOL

------------------

Klipsch Quartets

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

I've got to agree with JMON.

The most expensive piece of audio equipment were the walls for my Kornerhorns.

We looked at existing homes but none of them had the corners and long wall needed, so we had one built too..

I really don't know how many homes we looked at, but I do know that the relator thinks I'm crazy!!!

My wife has made the comment several times that most people don't buy a house just for their speakers to fit into....

I did visit one place for sale and they had a pair of Forte IIs playing Barber's Adagio for Strings.... it was close... but no sale!

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you are very happy with the forte's : Are they really that much better???

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

Great comments. Others just wouldn't understand.

Thanks to your encouraging input, and my wife's enthusiasm, the Forte's are now resting comfortably in my HT. I think they will displace the KG4s there. I am blown away by these speakers. They have incredible clarity, depth, slam, and warmth. They actually seem to draw me in to their sound.

Now, what to do about the KV-3 center channel and SS-1 surrounds...

Charliko - Yes, they are that much better than my KG4's, which I still have (won't ever sell), still like, and still use (in another room). The Forte's are just that much better. My wife, who claims to have a tin ear, even heard the difference.

Color me very pleased (whatever color that is)!!