RF-7 crossovers

Deang

I thought it was common knowledge around here that I can upgrade any Klipsch crossover -- that's what I get for not promoting my work anymore. :) I can do the 30s, I would just get the parts after the order is placed. I have a standard labor charge of $100 for PCB work (pair). If I have to drill and jumper I charge $125. So, most of these come in around $250 total. The RF-7 has more parts than the KG, Forte, and Chorus -- so the basic upgrade for them is $325.

Improvements are the same for any speaker -- smoother and richer all the way around. Less hash and grain at low levels, and considerably less harshness and ringing at high SPLs.

I've done one RC-7, and it's a monster to begin with. When I got done with it and sent it back, poor Carl could barely get it back into the cabinet (the RC-7 is not as deep as the RF-7). I need to rethink my work on the RC-7 before I take any orders for it.

There hasn't been any serious interest in doing the RF-3, or other Reference speakers.

Well, it's certainly not cheaper to upgrade to RF-7s than to do the mod -- but Yeah, I think it's because most would rather not put $300+ into a crossover upgrade for a $1000 set of speakers. Many users of the RF-3, RF-3II, or RF-35 probably do have their sights set on some RF-7s or other upgrade. I think maybe the upgrade would best for those using these Klipsch speakers as their long term listening solution.

I am interested in the upgrade, but I have 3 RF-7s. Funds are a bit of a problem. Give me about a month. My main question is, what about shipping and payment and so on? Mainly, what do I have to do to pay you, get the crossovers and install them? I did read mOOn's thread and am glad it made a nice improvement.

CD

Dean,

I have been interested in your modified crossovers for RF-7s for some time. The problem is that I do not want to be without my system for a week or more while I am on summer vacation. If it is not too much trouble, please PM me prices that includes a duplicate set of parts from Klipsch that would prevent any down time on my system. I assume that you would have to buy duplicate crossovers etc. from Klipsch. Ouch!

Bill

Not to fear gentlemen. Dean just shipped out my new khorn crossovers and all I have to do is unscrew the old and pop in the new. Unless it's different with the reference line, Dean builds his own from top to bottom. All you need to do is send him money and he builds you the crossovers which take about 10 minutes to swap out. No down time necessary. As fast as you can unscrew the wires from the terminals and the screws holding the base to the inside of the speaker and then screw in the new ones.

Gary:

It is different with the Reference line. Dean did the crossovers on my RF-7s, and the crossover on my RC-7. With Reference speakers, you ship Dean your crossovers, and he makes the necessary modifications using some of the existing parts, and replacing others.

Bill:

Are you sure you couldn't make it for a few days without your RF-7s? I know you are on summer vacation and hate to be without your RF-7s, but Dean is pretty good on turnaround time, and the sacrifice is worth it. If you ended up ordering additional crossovers for the interim, they would just wind up being extra after Dean modifies your other ones.......

I know its not the same, but in the interim, you could always run your two surrounds, your RC-7 with your RSW-15. While waiting, I ran my RB-75s with subs.

Carl.

I've always thought that one day I would want to take advantage of Dean's crossover upgrade for my RF-7's as well. But like others money is a little tight right now as I'm in the middle of upgrading my whole system. I still need a new subwoofer and DVD player. Not to mention working up the courage to take a screwdriver to my speakers.

Is this mod not going to be available in the future?

I do not think Dean is discontinuing the mods. I believe he just had some RF-7 mod parts left over, and he wanted to know if someone wanted a mod right now. Otherwise he will return them in exchange for credit towards caps for his Klipschorns.

Because.....scrambling up money for a Peach puts a strain on your budget. I now know how he feels.

But it will all be worth it. 1.gif

P.S. SteelerFan, when the time comes, I would not be intimidated about opening up your RF-7s. Its an easy modification.

Carl.

Yes, that's exactly it. The caps are just sitting in my cabinet, and so I figure if no wants to do this anymore why not just trade them in and get a credit? Naturally I would prefer to build, spread the joy, and make a little on the side -- but it's a good chunk of change just sitting there.

Bill -- actually, I did exactly what you suggested about a year ago. I called Klipsch and ordered a set of crossovers, which included the boards, terminal cups, binding posts, and all wiring. So, I built them up, sent out the upgraded units, the customer swapped them out, and then sent me back their original crossover/terminal cups -- where it starts all over again. So, I actually have a set ready to ship. Just load them up and send me back the stock ones. For all intents and purposes -- there is no "wait". At least, not for the first guy in line. :)

It was nice when I had the disposable income to load up on parts a little and anticipate the orders, but I just don't have enough money to do that anymore. What really sucks is ordering parts when I do have a little money, and they end up sitting there for two months. When I run out, and don't order -- three people want boards done and I don't have any parts, or money to buy them with -- so it's turned into this money up front deal that kind of slows things down a little. It's sad to say, but I'm a crappy business manager.14.gif

I was just reading your post in the other thread where you talk about the gear you are using. I'm curious as to what the ratio is for you as it relates to movies, 2-channel music, and multichannel (SACD, DVD-A)? I'm also curious at to what you are using for a center channel, and if you are running a subwoofer.

While listening to your system, is there something you wish it had more of? Less of?

As I'm sure you know, what is "best" is system/room/ears dependant, and after doing this for almost two years, I've come to the conclusion that the "best" sound isn't always found in the most expensive parts. For the Klipsch Gathering in Arkansas, I brought a set built up with Auricaps -- and along with everyone else present, I was extremely pleased with the performance out of the RF-7s that day. In short, the Auricap has become my favorite capacitor for the RF-7 -- bringing all of the benefits of the best film and foils, but without tipping the signature too far foward. With that said, there are three different build levels, and I'll send you quotes after I can get to my spreadsheet tomorrow at work.