Does this mean I'm getting old?

jdm56

Well, here I am in the last half of my fourth decade, and I'm finding myself sampling, listening to, buying and loving music that a few short years ago I wouldn't have touched with a Bose Wave radio. I'm talking mostly jazz, big band and swing. So, to borrow a phrase from Adam Sandler - What the H--- happened to me? Am I now officially old, or is it just that I've pretty well ran through the country, rock and folk catalogs?

I guess I'm just wondering if others have experienced music preference changes along the way, and what they might be attributed to.

Yeah I hear you. I still listen to just about everything, but the softer, quieter stuff gets more and more play. I think, for me anyway, it's more mood dependent then age, but I just turned 55 so it could be I simply foreget that I like rock and roll.

Gee Ed, you really no how to hurt a guy! I was kind of hoping for a little more sympathy.15.gif

I don't plan to sell my rock CD's or anything drastic like that, but like Thebes, I've just noticed I listen to less rock and honky-tonk music than in the past, and at lower levels than I used to. Of course, having a wife and three kids in the house has a little something to do with that.

For crying out loud, I've got the "Essential Dean Martin" in heavy rotation in the music room, so maybe Ed's right after all!

Well, yes, I guess "getting old" is just one of those things that changes you. On a recent vacation, my wife and I, good old "Northern born" natives who have lived in Texas for the last 10 years, were scanning radio stations on the trip back. We happened upon a "Country Oldie's" station, and boy, was it fun!! Nothing like some Conway Twitty, Marty Robbins, and Tom T. Hall to get you pumped up.

...mind you, I >DESPISED< this music when I was young....

Popbumper9.gif

It's funny isn't? When I reached my 40's, all of a sudden, Frank and Dean were cool. Marty Robbins now graces my shelves, Hank Snow - I don't mind him so much now. I now search for new releases from old legends like Neil Young, Brian Wilson, Brian Ferry etc.

But I remember what my grandfather told me many years ago; "Old guys are like a tube of toothpaste, you can always squeeze a little more out of 'em". 3.gif

Dean Martin! Jeez, I'm 385 years old in dog years and I'm not even close to being where you are yet. What's next, Lawrence Welk and Sing along with Mitch!

By god man pull yourself together (slapping sound)!

I recommend 3 hours of speed metal and call me in the morning.

We'll try a rock and roll intervention, and if that doesn't work I'm going to have to take you wife out of there to a safe place (heh,heh).

Speed-metal? Ee-ew! Makes my ears hurt just thinking about it.

I try putting on what used to really juice my lizard, something like The Who, Led Zep or BTO, and it's like, "hey, let's just turn this DOWN a bit!" I did have a nice, LOUD encounter with my Cars box set a few days ago, though.

Speaking of BTO, you know what I do like to hear from them? That jazzy stuff they got into late in their run. From the "Head On" album there was a song called "Lookin' Out For Number One". Now, that was a cool song. -Hated it then; love it now!

True, it does kind of all go in cycles, I guess. But this has been a long cycle.

Classic country; yeah, that's cool. I don't hear anything on country radio anymore that is even interesting. There probably is some good stuff, but there is so much crap that I don't even listen anymore. Hank Snow's "I'm Movin' On" -- that's KILLER! Johnny Cash's version from a few years ago is really good, too.

Oh well, it is fun discovering "new" music. Even when it's older than I am!

Besides just getting just plain old, it the absolute dearth of anything good from the recording industry. They are still too involved with ramming rap music and culture down our throats. The rest of the field gets re-issues and remasters----the remasters part isnt so bad tho. I have found out that as I get older that my base music likes stay the same but it keeps widening out. It runs from Rock to Electronica to Classical to Jazz to Gospel even. Even worse I find myself enthralled by Sarah Brightman who I used to make fun of my ex for listening to (I will never tell her tho). I am listening at the moment to Jackson Browne's Best of that has been repurposed for 5.1 DTS and thinking......What has happened to pop? It used to be semi intelligent anyhow. Now all we get is Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake WTF ?? /grouchy old man mode off

Jdm, try "nightwish" by Wishmster, you may change your mind-purchased this thanks to a recommendation from a fellow forum member.

Also consider, Jennifer Warnes "the Well" soft with a country feel, also purchased based on a member recommendation.

For coutnry try alt-country rocker Lucinda Wiliams. Saw her in concert last weekend and she's great.

Funny thread. I don't know what this means, but I constantly find myself pausing the longest while listening to Mexicana on my digital cable music channels!! I'm not sure what I like about it so much, but it always seems to sound happy.

I used to listen to more hard rock than anything else. While I still enjoy many of the songs/bands from the time, I have found my listening tastes have mellowed quite a bit over the last decade.

David

jdm56: The main thing for me was that although, I continue to listen to rock, blues and other forms of contemporary music, I now find myself caring a lot more about what is going on in this world. So, when I hit 45 (quite some time ago) I came to the realization that I actually prefer AM TALK RADIO! OMG!6.gif

Truthfully, I have found that I now mix a lot more Jazz into my play-list than I used to. It just sounds classier, more sophisticated to me. (He said, sitting there in his broken recliner, looking disheveled, dressed in his holey undershirt and baggy, ill-fitting shorts, while drinking a can of Red, White & Blue Beer.) 2.gif -NOT!

You know, I like most modern music. But the local radio station, there is only one in our small town, plays either rap or funk, or whatever, CONSTANTLY, from morning to night. It drives me nuts! The radio station tries to portray itself as 'youth orientated' - which in this town is a VERY small proportion of the population. I don't mind a bit of 'rap' every now and again, but this is ridiculous. These days I get my music fix from the satellite music channels - at least they offer more balance in their programing.

Let's see:

Having experienced a rush of mainstream events in youth. Contempated them. Integrating knowledge. Having able to see beyond momentary trends. Gaining some conclusion from the above.

Some call it wisdom. Others, getting old.

Me too.

Gil