Cornwall Verticals on ebay

Budman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These ARE VERY special!!

It needs futher contact with the seller to be absolutely sure. The response I received to my request for the serial # and TYPE was:

"the speakers are: model # C-WO-15 serial # 285"

IF the serial number is actually 285, then this Cornwall was made in 1961 and is the 285th Cornwall ever made. They do not have pie-slice logos, but look very closely at the bottom center. They BOTH have the clear logo, which was only used on the very early Cornwalls.

If I had any way to get these picked up in Boston, I would be bidding, if the drivers are original.

I hope some here gets them!! But do your homework first!!

Mike

I asked the seller the same question. I saw that clear plastic Klipsch logo on the bottom and it made me think of Frtznvt's 1962 pair.

How do you know or guesstimate the date based on 285? It's been my understanding the 3 digit serials were from 1946 to 1947,....and 4 digit serial numbers were 1948 through 1961. It is also my understanding that 4 digit series serial numbers below 1000 were preceeded by the number 0.

So, if my understanding is correct, and IF these were 61 vintage, they serials should read 0285.....which leads me to believe these are the grandfather of all Cornwalls......gimme gimme gimme, I want them.

Another theory would be that the S/N is 2B5 which would date them to 1963. The seller is a little slow to respond to emails. I am hoping to get a complete S/N. If that 285 is all the S/N is, then we made need the guru's at Klipsch to help us figure it out. As far as I know I have the oldest pair of Cornwalls on the forum and I am wondering if this pair is older. I wish the guy would email back with something.

The seller may have have omitted information in the serial number, most possibly the proceeding "0" or maybe not. We've seen that Klipsch was not always consistent and this was early in the process. ( Example: I've seen in person, a Vertical 1974 pair that did not have a "Cornwall II" label or as some were done, a regular label rubber stamped in red with a "II", but they were most definitely Verticals)

I'd bet VERY serious money the serial number is NOT "2B5".

The only way to be sure is to get a picture of the serial number label(s) and the interior with a close up of the crossover if the seller will/can co-operate. The serial number pic to verify it and the interior pic(s) to verify original drivers. Another and the best possibility is a road trip to see them in person and to take pictures just in case your're not the high bidder!!!

As I said previously "...do your homework". I will leave that to those that will bid as I have no way of picking these up.

Mike

I agree that the 2B5 was just a guess, and only a photo of the S/N would be the official confirmation. They are not older than '61 though since I have seen the '60 Cornwall and they are a totally different animal style-wise and are rear ported. I think member Khorn58 owns it and a Single '62 Cornwall as well. My drivers guesses would be the Jensen P15LL woofer, K-55V midrange, and the old K-77 with chrome throat and gray painted magnet housing. If we could just get more info out of the seller. I am within driving distance of these.

----------------

On 8/18/2004 9:10:43 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Here is a link to a photo of a 1960 Cornwall.

----------------

I remember those pictues. The seller has updated his auction with the information he has already sent to several of us.

Frzninvt, would you make the trip, if nothing less to document these for posterity??3.gif

Mike

If they are older than the ones I have they will come home with me I'm afraid, my brother in law Gilbert will be all over these as well. The finish looks rough and faded with water stains on the top on the one pictured near the window. I had to study the photo very closely though, the other looks to be in better shape finish wise. The finish on mine is still really dark and lusterous.

I have two pairs of '60's Vertical Cornwalls now and I need to sell one pair to make room for my newly purchased '77 WO Khorns. So I only plan to keep a single pair. I will have to see how things play out.

----------------

On 8/18/2004 9:40:22 AM Frzninvt wrote:

If they are older than the ones I have they will come home with me I'm afraid, my brother in law Gilbert will be all over these as well. The finish looks rough and faded with water stains on the top on the one pictured near the window. I had to study the photo very closely though, the other looks to be in better shape finish wise. The finish on mine is still really dark and lusterous.

I have two pairs of '60's Vertical Cornwalls now and I need to sell one pair to make room for my newly purchased '77 WO Khorns. So I only plan to keep a single pair. I will have to see how things play out.

----------------

Well since blood is thicker than Klipsch Forum membership, I don't guess you will be picking them up for me, so I'm out of the running as stated earlier.

After a few hours of thought, research and your comments about the quantities made, I may be wrong about these being the 285th Cornwall made. They may be about the 190th to 210th made! Why you ask? In the beginning Klipsch fudged the serial numbers on Klipschhorns to make it look like they had sold more Klipschhorns than they really had. This is documented in Paul's Bio on page 31. Was this done on the Cornwalls too, maybe.

Gilbert:

With reguard to the xxx serial # for 1946-1947 and xxxx serial # for 1948-1961, I believe this was the "rule" for Klipschorns not Cornwalls, as there were no Cornwalls in the early years i.e. prior to 1959.

Best of luck

Mike

"my brother in law Gilbert will be all over these as well"

Damn straight dude, damn strainght. There mine, hope hope, pray pray. I'll worry about the shipping later.

Oh, by the way FRZNVT......what are doing next week end. I think a nice drive to Boston for some clam chowder is in order, and while your there....2.gif

Not to be a party poop, but what is the condition of these besides "used?" The top right corner of the one upon which the lamp is sitting appears to have a huge chunk missing. Maybe there is something leaning against it or behind it that causes it to only look like that. There is also dark stain evidence of potted plant origin. Could the absence of details be an attempt to obfuscate their actual condition? You guys should ask and get more details, IMO. Caveat emptor.

I am with Klipschfoot on this, the one by the window does look very rough from the little that I can determine from the iffy photo. More photos would most certainly be a must! Good luck getting them though.

The seller seems reluctant or is really busy, and really does not respond to inquiries very quickly. These are the type of sellers that I prefer not to do business with. He almost seems agitated by the inquires from folks evidenced by the big bold red addendum he added to the description. I am staying away from them for a number of reasons.

1) I just bought '77 Khorns last week that I need to retrieve from my BIL in NC. (Major undertaking)

2) I already have a pair of 60's Vertical Cornwall II's that I need to sell to make room for my Khorns that are in much nicer shape than those that are being offered for auction.

3) I cannot get any additional information from the seller, like a photo of the label on the back or a photo of the interior of the cabinets to ensure all the drivers are original. The one near the window looks really, really rough and will need a generous amount of work to bring back.

So have at them boys!

Here is the skinny on those Cornwalls provided by the most excellent Steve Phillips at Klipsch. My hunch as to the date was correct.

CWO-15 left handed.

33J woofer

55V

#3 grill

April 19 1963

Sounds like this is a vertical Cornwall II, does it list that way?

#284 shipped same day and was a right hand.

Oddly enough when I inquired about my S/N's on my '62's I was told that ship date from the factory was Oct 1963 despite the fact that my S/N's are 3A26 & 3A27 which indicate they are 1962 models. Perhaps they were built late in 1962 and did not ship from the factory until late the following year. So if the ship date for mine is accurate this pair is older than mine by 6 months making them the oldest PAIR of Cornwalls that I or forum members are aware of.

I asked Steve P. if he would check into my S/N's again for me to confirm.