Preamp Recommendation.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, welcome to the Klipsch Forums...it's great having a professional musician amongst us horn lovers!

I think a great inexpensive tube preamp to compliment your Dared monoblocks is the BEZ Model Q4B 6SN7 SRPP linestage preamp (about $250 on eBay):

DSCF0934B_71.jpg

I use one with my present system, and with great vintage NOS tubes, it sounds fantastic! I assume that you're using your amps (with their own gain controls) with a phono preamp to drive your Linn Sondek (sweet 'table, BTW...what cartridge do you use?). The Model Q4B would definately compliment your tube amps, and with 3 RCA inputs, you still have enough to control a CD/SACD player and a tape deck or tuner.

The BEZ comes out of Hong Kong where it's hand built by Edmund Lam. Only drawback is it takes about 2 months to ship to the states due to the slow China Post economy surface shipping he uses (to save the buyer money); it might take less time if it's delivered to CA. In any event, I think it's definately worth the wait. Edmund sells alot of 'em, and at his low price, it just can't be beat IMO. It's not the be-all end-all in analog tube preamps, but for the money you can't go wrong.

Just my two cents...2.gif

post-11084-13819257479442_thumb.jpg

please give a budget target and then we can help. I think a tube preamp will fit the bill, adding a little plumpness and warmth to the mid bass of the heresies, I look forward to hearing about you budget. regards, tony

also, you should mention if you want more switching options (for CD/SACD, tape deck, etc.) or tone controls for your preamp before we recommend anything

Are you getting the itch to spin some vinyl Dean? Snap, crackle, pop! 2.gif

If I was thinking about getting back into vinyl the JM Blueberry would be my first choice in a preamp. Since I am not, I bought the next best thing, the Juicy Music Peach all Triode Linestage. 9.gif

peach400.jpg

peachbdsm.jpg

----------------

On 8/16/2004 9:31:11 PM Guy Landau wrote:

The BEZ doesn't have a phono stage so it probably won't fit.

----------------

If she has a phono preamp for her turntable already, then it doesn't matter that the BEZ doesn't have a phono stage, right Guy?2.gif

Dared SL-2000-A1.jpg

You should also consider Dared's own preamp, the SL-2000A would make a great mate to your MP-6s. A nice used model is on sale on AudiogoN.com right now for $250...see:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1097555163

post-11084-13819257480302_thumb.jpg

Probably not too hot, since her MP-6 monoblocks put out 6 watts each, using a 6L6G, 12AU7, and a 12AX7 for each amp. The Heresys aren't that efficient for metal at 110dB, but for a Lizst or Beethoven piano concerto, I'll bet they sound fine. BTW, her MP-6s look very similar to the SL-2000A shown above!

----------------

On 8/17/2004 6:04:50 AM v3pcbl wrote:

jt1stcav,

That BEZ item pictured is $250 new? Or was that $2500? Good lord, its looks alone are worth that...

----------------

One look inside and that opinion would change fast 2.gif

It is what it is -- a good value that competes well with other good entry level models. The upside is that it only costs a third as much as the other models. You don't get the greatest parts, but you do get tube rectification and the nice attenuator -- which I think help make up for the parts quality. The only thing I didn't like about it in my system was that I thought the upper limits of the HF response was a bit stident at the volumes I typically listen with.

Mark Deneen is having a road show for his BlueBerry and Peach preamplifiers. Users can try the unit out for a week for the cost of shipping, and if a purchase is desired, there is a fairly significant discount.

If you aren't in a real hurry to make your purchase, the BlueBerry would sure be fun to audition. It would be somewhat over your budget, but the quality of the preamp would take about 3K to improve on it.

You might send a PM mdeneen to get on his list for the BB roadshow. The demo unit that sold on Ebay would have been in your budget.

Info on the BB is at www.juicymusicaudio.com

----------------

On 8/17/2004 1:25:19 PM Christie-Marie wrote:

The table has a Linn Ekos tonearm and is mounted with a Linn Klyde low output moving coil cartridge. I don't want to spend more than $1,000 on the analog preamp and it must have a phono stage. Thanks.

----------------

How do you like the Linn Ekos and Linn Klyde?