new Belle thread-pics

Tom Mobley

No pics on the first post, forum usually eats them.

I should mention that this a first attempt at building something furniture grade. This is really a test mule, the plywood is 3/4" Birch front, Maple back with small knots.

{edit 10/27: I inlined all the photos in the thread after receiving a couple comments about whatta PITA it is to go clicking through all the screens. Downside is that the pages may take awhile to load for the guys on dialup connections.}

Tom,

brother! you're not just messing around. I generally take a couple of weeks to work myself up to starting a project, and look at you! a couple of days and you're off and running! Way to go, dude...

Thanks for the pics, and keep 'em coming on the build.

DM2.gif

Nope. It was a changer I bought new in 77, I don't even remember whatever happened to it. I still have the Yamaha YP-211 that replaced it though. It's on that same shelf, but off to the right. Hasn't been out of the box in at least 10 years. Believe it or not my wife recently picked some old Christian and Gospel albums somewhere, wants me to get it out. :)

BTW, I started the refinishing project on the '60 Klipschorns too. They're Mahogany Lacquer, crazed, cracked and peeling. I pulled one of the upper section side panels, stripped it. and stripped it. and stripped it some more. That lacquer is thick. I used a micrometer on a piece I peeled off, it was .012". Anyway, did the wipe-on, thinned, oil base gloss poly thing as outlined by Greg and more recently in Fine Woodworking magazine. That old Mahogany is absolutely magnificent, most gorgeous wood I've ever seen. It's ribbon stripe, looks like it's lit from within. Iridescent, shifts to almost a pure gold at some angles. Tilt it back and forth in the light, it looks like the grain is trying to jump out. Easy to see why it was such a favorite back then. That thinned poly deal is excellent in evey way. Hardly any way to goof it up.

----------------

...That old Mahogany is absolutely magnificent, most gorgeous wood I've ever seen. It's ribbon stripe, looks like it's lit from within. Iridescent, shifts to almost a pure gold at some angles. Tilt it back and forth in the light, it looks like the grain is trying to jump out. Easy to see why it was such a favorite back then.

----------------

I agree, it's as beautiful as you said. Are you going to be able to re-lacquer and keep it?

Larry