new Belle thread-pics

Tom Mobley

Nice work Tom !

Looking at that warped panel it appears to me that the problem is not with your veneering but with the panel itself.

From the pic it looks as if the plies are delaminating. Hopefully the bracing you added will suffice but if at some point you start getting buzzes or rattles that would be the first place you should look sideways at.

HI Tom, Nice work. You got me thinking about starting my own project. I started "DIY" almost a year ago. I built myself a subwoofer, which works great with the Heresy, and a couple pair of speakers, one Back loaded horn and one QWT. I would love to build a Belle of a Khorn for that mater, but dismissed it because of a couple of reasons. One is it possible to get a decent set of plans. And second, is it possible to get the drivers. Thanks to formica I think the plans are taken care or, but how about the drivers. Did you find drivers for your project yet and where? I assume that the drivers were made specifically for Klispch so can you order them from them or is it possible to find something with similar specs. It sure sound like fun if I could find the equipment to put in the box. I wonder though, if it were possible to find drivers, I think I would have to go on a quest for plans the khorn.

Hi swells---

The Belle plans in the other Belles thread are very good. People here co-operated in measuring a factory Belle and producing these drawings. Formica's efforts are top-drawer, his drawings are excellent. Khorn plans are also commonly available, one guy here even converted them to using all 3/4" plywood instead of 1/2".

The K-33 bass drivers are available from Klipsch for only $130 delivered, an excellent value since this driver is heavily optimized for the application. The K-401 horn is only about $50 from Klipsch, another no-brainer. The metal K-400 version is available used on ebay or here. The Belle K-505 horn is available from Klipsch, but it's more money. The K-55 and K-77 drivers are easily available from people here or used on ebay. You can buy them new from Klipsch also, but they're not cheap at all. Buying the crossovers from Klipsch is expensive but there are several options for that too. Plans are available here to build your own or there are two or three guys who can do it for you. Their stuff is thought to be actually superior to the factory offerings.

LaScala's and Belles are not real difficult to build if you have any real woodworking background. Khorns are a serious challenge for even experienced woodworkers due to the mitered and tapered pieces involved in the woofer chamber. The cuts are tricky and the tolerences tight, tighter than most other woodworking projects. I remember somebody claiming the tolerance for those parts is 1/64", but I haven't tried that myself.

Ask around here, keep an eye on ebay for parts, you can do it.

Tom

Thank's Tom, I figured that there were schematics around for the crossover and the parts should be readily available. My big concern is picking up the drivers, but if I can, in the end, order them directly from the parts department that would make the project possible. For some reason I thought that you could only order replacement parts from them. Ebay doesnt seam to be for me, besides never knowing if what you want will come up or even if I can make the winning bid, I a little nervous about what I might get in the end. I would rather pay a little more and order it. It sounds like there are lots of spare parts in the states, they seam to be rare around here. The Belle has always been one of my favorites, not that I have ever heard them. I would be surprised if there is a pair of Belle or khorns within a 14 hour drive. I have read here that the Khorn is very difficult to build, so may I should start with the Belle. I just figure that it will be a six maybe ever a twelve month process so why not try the Khorn. Doesnt the Belle and Khorn share the same driver, just a different bass bin and crossover. In that case I could try to build the Khorn. The more the challenge the more the reward I suppose. I would love to support and buy the whole unit from them, but that will probably never happen, sort of like willing the lottery. If I did win though, I have to say that Klipschorns are on the top of my list.

The crossover, are you buying yours or are you going to build that your self. If you build one, can you let me know what you used and how it turns out? Well, let us all know how the whole project turns out, which I know you will. Keep up the good work.

Nah, the underside of the top piece will be black. If you look at the last pic you'll see that I didn't veneer the whole top of the top piece either. After the upper cabinet is assembled only the 3/4" or so around the outside of the riser can be seen. It's just too much work to finish all that area that will never be visible again, so I did a 3" area around the edge. I wasn't worried about the panel cupping, so the bottom will be flat black.

A LOT of this work wouldn't be necessary at all if I was working with Walnut or Cherry or whatever plywood. But if a guy wants something a little different, like Mahogany or Zebrawood or Teak or something that's not commonly available in plywood then he's gotta roll his own, so to speak. Works for me, I'll probably have the only Mahogany Belle on the planet.

busy,busy. got some time to work today, good. start with bassbin, now with stain but no finish. The blue masking tape is to keep the finish off the area where I'm going to glue down the top riser. Some of the other pieces I had to sand the finish carefully so glue could get a good bite.

binstainshade2.jpg

post-9215-13819257540282_thumb.jpg

moving right along, starting on the top riser. These are just 1" strips of the same 3/4" birch plywood. I wanted to do the grain vertical, so the veneer strips are lying there along with the plywood strips. The wood and the veneer are already glued, ready to go. You can barely see the iron at top right.

topriser1.jpg

post-9215-13819257544372_thumb.jpg