new Belle thread-pics

Tom Mobley

----------------

On 11/16/2004 7:53:28 PM Marvel wrote:

Jim,

Is that a Model 19 style cabinet you made? Looks very nice. There's a pawn shop near me with a pair of Altec 1233 PA speakers for sale. They've been there for months. They look mint, and if the drivers aren't blown would be nice just for the components. 811B horns with 808-8B drivers, 421-8LF woofers (not as great as some others). They want $600, and I've made a point of not being too interested when I go in there. If they are still there in a few months and I have the money I'll offer them a lot less and see if they'll bite, just to move them out.

Tom,

The cabinet is looking wonderfull. Picks never show quite how nice things do look.

Marvel

----------------

Marvel,

It is a Model 19 dupe. There are a few modifications in the cabinet construction from the original 19's. From the outside they are dimensionaly the same except there are no crossover cutouts as the system is bi-amped.

The price on those 1233's is not too far off. If you can get the pair for between 4 and 5 hundred it would be a decent buy. The 821-8LF drivers were not used in VOT's or any of their consumer home gear as far as I know but they are nice drivers for guitar work (they sound a bit more brassy with some added punch). I am not sure of this but several of the musical instrument series speakers from Altec can be reconed to 416-8B specs. With the components you described, you have a good start for a project.

Jim

----------------

On 11/17/2004 12:53:11 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

Jim,

The pics I have here (except for some on the first page) are 640 x 480 pixels, they run about 50K per. The camera has four qualities of resolution selectable, it's on the next to lowest. If I move it up one step the images grow to about 150K, don't look much different on screen.

J.,

Thanks for your kind words. I hope to be able to produce work similar to jorjen's at some point, but I'm not near there yet. There's a lot of fine points around wood finishing that I'm just catching on to. Like how to do a lot of sanding on a piece without rounding off the corners and edges. Stuff like that.

----------------

Thank you Tom. I was in a moment of stupidity when I attached the image file. The picture once I got it to show on the post was huge. The 640 x 480 range does look much better. So thank you for the info. I will rescale the image size first thing in the future.

I want to say you are right about all those little sanding details and such but wood has the advantage of character. No two jobs are exactly the same in custom cabinetry. From looking at your photos, you have created a really appealing cabinet and with out a ton of woodworking facilities. I am not partial to red toned woods and finishes but your work here has brought out that quality of character in the veneer. Veneering can be a very tough job. There are so many finishes and stains that can either enhance or destroy a project. I honestly think you have done a fine job here and appreciate you sharing the progress. You will have pride in this work for many years.

Please know that I am not a carpenter but my Father inlaw is. I have learned a great deal from him on woods and veneers over the last dozen years. No smoke Tom. Nice job. I'm not being kind, just truthfull.

----------------

On 11/16/2004 8:03:46 AM Jim E wrote:

Oh...I know this is the Klipsch Forum so please don't flame me for the Altec stuff. I have no intent to offend anyone.

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/M19-13.jpg">

----------------

Jim, I wouldn't worry about that, we are basically HORN fans here. Fan-atics, that is!

If it's got horns in it, on it, or around it, I want to see it and hear about it!

DM2.gif

Agreed! Horns from Altec Lansing, Tannoy, JBL, Westlake Audio, Avantgarde...I don't care, I like 'em all!

Tom, you and my dad would get along nicely! He's built pipe organ pneumatic air chests for several pipe organs throughout the years, and eventhough they're not furniture grade, the chestwork is every bit as beautiful (and functional) as those manufactured from world-class organ firms! He's self-taught and has that natural skill you also possess...wish it was passed down to me; alas, it was not. I'd love to refinish my '79 raw birch Cornwalls (that had a coat of walnut stain slapped on 'em...yuck), but I would not even attempt such a simple task. My folks live up in CT now, and my dad's too busy to tackle the job...Maybe now after viewing this entire thread I'll get up the nerve to try.

Your Belle Klipsch is turning out nicely; you should be extremely proud of yourself. Craftsmanship such as yours seems harder to find these days, now that particleboard has pretty much taken over furniture making (ugh). Best of luck with the last stages of completion, and keep those pics coming!2.gif

Getting closer, skipped a few steps on the pics this time. These pics are with the upper cabinet finished and assembled along with the motorboard in place with grill cloth. This is pretty much what it will look like. Left on the to-do list: make the lower grills, build a crossover, cut the hatch and make a cover, acquire a K-55 (I have two nice early Klipsch EV-T35, anybody want to trade one for a K-55?), touchup.

I'll have some pics of the build of the upper cabinet later.

On the photos, this is still with the cheapie camera, those white dots on the grill don't really exist and the whole thing is lighter. The flash on this thing just doesn't seem to have the oomph.

wgrilfrtrtup2.jpg

post-9215-13819257564382_thumb.jpg

the splitter. this actually mounts on the inside of the back panel. have to be a little careful locating it, the vertical clearence between it and the points of the wings is tight. this is one place where spending the money on the nice saw comes in, the top piece of the splitter is only about 1/2" wide at the base. set the blade at 45*, ran it through there. It came out perfect, no taper, twist or rough edges. That saw has been a real boon, the table is great for assembling stuff you want to be straight and square.

insidesplitter.jpg

post-9215-13819257569582_thumb.jpg

I got a killer deal on the saw. It used to be $600, was lowered to like $550, but when I went to buy it they had a problem with inventory. Apparently Ridgid had been shipping the saws without the rails which come in a separate box. I live in Phoenix, lots of stores here. The manager checked stock metro-wide, went to two other stores to pick up a rail kit, but when she got there they didn't have rails either. So, they sold me the display model for $500, 10% off. I had been at the store for literally hours by then, so they placated me by using their flatbed truck to deliver it to my house which is only a couple miles from the store. Nice.

Also, Ridgid was running a promotion with HD wherein a large power tool purchase got the buyer a $100 gift card from HD. Thankyouverymuchsir. It took six weeks to show up, but it did come a few weeks ago.

Did I mention the deal where it's one year same as cash? No payments due, no interest accruing.

So, what did I pay for the saw? Not much so far. :) But reality is my outlay is $400. Cheap. There's an article in the latest Fine Woodworking magazine comparing this saw to models costing three times as much. It's all the machined cast iron that makes it good. Thing weighs almost 300 lbs.

{EDIT}: I also bought that Freud blade at the same time. It was $50, worth every penny. Ultra nice thin kerf blade. Also bought a 9 gallon shop vac to collect the sawdust off the blade, it's amazingly clean to work with if the vacuum is on. Also I spent a couple hours adjusting the thing. I've got the fence and the blade both dead straight.

Tom,

Are the wings on the Belle made differently than on the LaScala? On the LS they cleanly join the top and bottom of the cabinets, where you have them drop off, or step off (might need to send a pic to expalin what I mean).

Marvel

dylanl,

That saw was priced at $547 on the retail floor, but that was back in Aug/Sept time frame. The rebate deal was then current with some big Ridgid promotion they were running. There were little pads of tear-off applications around the tool section wherever there was Ridgid stuff. I imagine it's over by now. The 10% off for it being a floor model is necessarily a one-off deal. The really tough part was when I went to send off the rebate form, they wanted the original UPC off the box. The floor model didn't have a box, darn. I had to lean on a manager there to cut the UPC out of an unopened box. I reasoned with them that they were going to have to build a floor model anyway, why not give me the $100 little piece of cardboard?

Marvel

I basically did it that way because it was easy. The angle was the same on both ends of the boards. If I had done it the other way it would require a ~70* cut on one end and 20 or so on the other. I did it that way on the LaScalas, but it was a real PITA. I evaluated it as not worth the effort it takes to make a clean, repeatable 70* cut. It was easier on the LaScala's because the back of the doghouse is narrower and the slope of the wings is greater. I don't think the slightly different angle of the boards is significant in view of the substantially different angle on the LS.

Al, thanks for your kind words, they mean a lot to me coming from you. I feel that you set a high standard as far as DIY effort. Your original downloadable package of info on your ALK network is what really got me started on all this DIY Klipsch stuff.