new Belle thread-pics

Tom Mobley

front view, also gives an idea of the nice grain popping on the mahogany. Also, I finally got around to painting the insides of the bass bin sides. really helped the appearance. there's no back on the box, if I move over to the left a couple inches you can see right through it. Also visible here is the quality of the high-gloss wipe-on poly finish. I can almost read the lettering on the Ryobi box in the shelf behind, it's a couple feet away. I'll end up using 1000 grit sandpaper or 000 steel wool on it to kill off some of the gloss. Let it harden for a month or so, then de-gloss it a little, use a pure carnuba car wax. It comes out nice. I've already tried it out on the top section of one of the Khorns.

All these shots were inside the garage at night, no extra sunlight to fill in shadows. Just that harsh glare flash. I hate this camera.

bassbinwplate2.jpg

post-9215-13819257555202_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm working on that. I have a pair of nice Klipsch K-77, (EV T-35), look exactly like the ones on my '60 Khorns. I'm hoping to trade one of them for a K-55, I can get a K-33, but I need the K-500/505 horn. Not many of those around. I have some of the stuff for a ALK crossover, I bought the Hovland caps when some dealer was dumping them for half price awhile back. Lucky deal there.

I may end up having to buy the horn from Klipsch.

Thanks for your kind words.

I have seen several posts regarding use of the Belle's for center channel with K-Horn's. When you get the system setup, I would enjoy hearing your opinion on the combination. I am curious how the bass and mid-horn response between the Belle and K-Horn work together.

Again, nice work. I really like the figure in the veneer. The finish compliments the grain.

Tom,

Here is a shot of one of my Altec DIY projects from about 3 years ago. I hope to build a set of Belles soon. It will be my first attempt with a full horn loaded system project. After seeing your Belle I gotta try it. I hope this picture linking thingy works. Oh...I know this is the Klipsch Forum so please don't flame me for the Altec stuff. I have no intent to offend anyone.

M19-13.jpg

post-16371-13819257560512_thumb.jpg

Jim,

Is that a Model 19 style cabinet you made? Looks very nice. There's a pawn shop near me with a pair of Altec 1233 PA speakers for sale. They've been there for months. They look mint, and if the drivers aren't blown would be nice just for the components. 811B horns with 808-8B drivers, 421-8LF woofers (not as great as some others). They want $600, and I've made a point of not being too interested when I go in there. If they are still there in a few months and I have the money I'll offer them a lot less and see if they'll bite, just to move them out.

Tom,

The cabinet is looking wonderfull. Picks never show quite how nice things do look.

Marvel

Jim,

The pics I have here (except for some on the first page) are 640 x 480 pixels, they run about 50K per. The camera has four qualities of resolution selectable, it's on the next to lowest. If I move it up one step the images grow to about 150K, don't look much different on screen.

J.,

Thanks for your kind words. I hope to be able to produce work similar to jorjen's at some point, but I'm not near there yet. There's a lot of fine points around wood finishing that I'm just catching on to. Like how to do a lot of sanding on a piece without rounding off the corners and edges. Stuff like that.

It's looking great, Tom...

You're in the home stretch now. I think your right about having to buy a new Belle mid horn from klipsch, given how few get parted out. The price you had posted new wasn't so bad...

It'll look stunning with matching mains...

Rob