new Belle thread-pics

Tom Mobley

a few more pics of the project. some of these were shot with a real low-grade digicam and look it. The rest were shot with my 35mm gear and photo Cd's ordered from the photofinisher. They all came out upside down and the files were huge. A little quality time with the photo editing program was required. Some of the files are still big.

first ones here are with the low-grade digicam. only does 640 x 480 and the lens is not the finest.

doghousetop.jpg

post-9215-13819257517392_thumb.jpg

I have a set of 60 Khorns I bought about a year ago. They're lacquered Mahogany, and the lacquer is really in bad shape, especially on one. I pulled one of the top section side panels and stripped and refinished it with wipe-on poly. The wood is absolutely amazing under that old lacquer. I've got some pics, I'll get them posted up soonly.

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 9/28/2004 7:12:53 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

This mahogany was hit with a couple coats of golden oak stain which seemed to correct the raw veneer color to near the Klipschorns this is being built to match.

----------------

Mahogany is a beautiful wood, and it's looking quite good. Glad to see this thread pop back up...

• 3 weeks later...

well, an update. after I veneered the top of the bottom plate and finished it a problem cropped up. the panel warped and cupped. Now, this is expected if veneering only one side, but not if both sides are done. since the bottom plate is the foundation for the whole box I selected the flattest, straightest piece I had to use for it. On a trial run basis I veneered one side, first time working with mahogany, wanted to get a little practice. It stayed flat, no cupping. when I did the other side ( which would be the upper in the finished box, visible from the front) it seemed OK, but asfter finishing it it cupped badly, at least a quarter inch, maybe 3/8. Bummer, but fixable, I just went back to the first side a applied another layer of veneer figuring things would even out. Things didn't. What to do? Mulled around on it a week or three, busy time of year for me anyway. Since re-veneering the bottom didn't help at all, needed to think of something else. Glued and screwed the doghouse down heavy-duty, it helped a little, not enough. Finally got to thinking about the riser and hit the idea: make a triple thickness riser and use it to flatten/straighten the front of the bottom panel. see pics to follow. first the drilled panel.

(Later): apparently the pic posting function is hosed, I'll try again later.