CROSSOVER UPGRADE

rich0372

If any of you considered upgrading your crossovers for klf30s I highly recommend it I sent my crossovers to Dean WOW!!!!! GREAT JOB They sound amazing cleaner clearer tighter bass I thought the klf30s sounded good before 9.gif It's definetly worth the $$ Dean do you do the klf c7 center?

PS I'm listening to the speakers as I'm writing this and noticed the highs and mids not as bright they sound very clean I know this becuase a song came on that sounded very bright before thanks Dean Rich

Did the 10 gauge wire to the woofers make any difference? That was the soldering job from Hell.1.gif

I guess you figured out that yellow and black were for the midrange and green and black were for the tweeter.9.gif I forgot to stick that note in the box!

Patience, that day will come, and yes, you should enjoy Dean's upgrade as much as I do. From now on, I want him to do any and all future Klipsch speakers I purchase down the road. (Heritage to be added sometime in the future)

Dean: sorry, with work lately and getting the Peach up and running, I have not yet sent you back my RC-7 x-over. It has been sitting in my SUV for the past couple of days while I've tried to get away from work during the day to send it out. Tomorrow it is going out to you, I promise.

Thanks again.

Carl.

----------------

On 8/25/2004 5:46:10 PM DeanG wrote:

Ain't the Peach sweet? Man, what a recipe.

----------------

Yes, it is. Mark has done a fantastic job. I just hooked it up very early this morning to my RF-7s and my 200 watt Rotel, and so far, I have only had the opportunity to listen to three songs. They were all off of Contraband, the new one from Velvet Revolver. Having listened to the album on a number of different people's systems, I have found that the overall sound of the album is difficult to get just right. But, not with the Peach. Smooth, creamy, detailed, and a nice soundstage. Oh, did I mention bass. Plenty o' bass with the RF-7s. My subs are not at all needed in this application. In fact, as much bass as with my solid state Classe (which I also love), but a much smoother sound - to be expected.

Nice.

I am going to try and wait until I get a chance to listen to it for about a week, etc. so that I can give the hybrid review - Mark's peach with a hefty SS amp. But, I can already tell you that I really like what I have already heard.

Carl.

Dean I think the 10 guage wire made a difference the bass is much smoother and tighter also they seem to have a little more bass than before if that makes any sense I did an a/b test with my klf20s with no upgrade and my klf30s with Deans crossovers this what I came up with

The mids are clearer cleaner not harsh or grainy just detaied sound.

The highs are not as bright and seem to be smoother.

The bass was tighter and smoother (this is a big one because the 20s have 10" woofers instead of 12"s and the 10s allways sounded to me to be tighter)

My conclution I know I was comparing klf20s to 30s and they are a little different sounding but the mids and highs sound be the same and the 30s won hands down Now the bass to me I liked the bass better out of the 20s before the upgrade but not anymore the 30s blew me away I don't even need a sub on anymore for stereo listening.9.gif Dean thank you 1.gif ATTENTION KLF OWNERS RUN DON'T WALK TO THE NEAREST POST OFFICE AND MAIL YOUR CROSSOVERS TO DEAN YOU WILL THANK ME LATER9.gif Rich

Rich and the rest of you guys,

I contacted Dean and got a very prompt reply. Based on your recommendations here, I am considering doing it to the 5 KLF-30's I have in the HT.

A couple of questions for you guys that have had this done...

#1 - I listen at around -20 relative to reference volume. Never loud. The sound I get now is never harsh to my ear, even with the Yammie. Just clear, crisp and detailed. What should I expect? More detail? A more enveloping soundstage?

#2 - Did this radically change your timbre? Did it have a different voice or just a clearer more articulate one?

#3 - Did you find the improvements carried through to both 2 channel and HT? Or one more than the other?

Dean has plenty of good references on this forum and that's good enough for me. Never been burned yet. I'm just trying to make sure that's it's something that applies to my situation.

Thanks in advance.

Redtop

redtop,

Dean just did my RF-7 crossovers. I use a Pioneer 49TXi that measures frequency response on 9 fixed bands for each channel. There was very little change before versus after the crossover change. I can and do run the system calibration routine twice with no change in anything and get as much variation as after the crossover replacement.

As far as audible changes go with RF-7s, there is more detail and smoother highs. The changes benefit both movies and music on my system, but music benefits the most. As always, YMMV with KLF-30s.

Bill

Re: Immaging on RF-7s

I am watching a movie that I have watched many times. The immaging is excellent. (Music is also excellent.)

Background sounds are so detailed that you'd think you are there. Basically, the good has gotten a fair bit better. Nothing has gone down hill.

Bill

Thanks for the replies. I've been doing some more research on this forum and so far not a single negative (I'll keep looking Dean...9.gif), must be a conspiracy...or more probably they really are that good! 3.gif

I'm still all ears if anyone has something to add.

----------------

On 8/26/2004 6:59:43 PM redtop wrote:

#1 - What should I expect? More detail? A more enveloping soundstage?

Yes, much more detail, imaging, and a wider soundstage. A colleague of mine heard DVD-Audio through my RF-7s through my SS setup, and he said it was the first system that sounded to him like the band was right there in the room (or on the other side of the wall). Part of that was my Classe pre/pro, but I would bet more of it was Dean's mod.

#2 - Did this radically change your timbre? Did it have a different voice or just a clearer more articulate one?

Slightly different voice, but not radically different. Of course, smoother on the top end.

#3 - Did you find the improvements carried through to both 2 channel and HT? Or one more than the other?

Yes, improvements carried over to 2 channel, both with tube and SS preamps. More improvements noticeable with music, but there are some nice HT benefits.

----------------

Hope that helps.

Carl.

Redtop I only tested with music and have to say the benifits are worth the $ more detail, smoother especially at loader volumes did not notice much difference in timbre

I gave my review after only about 3 hours they sound even better now after break-in the soundstage really opened up it sounds sooo good I'm getting my klf 20s and klf c7 done also 9.gif Rich

PS Redtop I noticed a big improvment in bass with my klf 30s I felt before they were lacking a little considering the size of the woofers in them The bass is tighter smoother and hits harder Have Dean do two of them and compare you won't be disappionted (that way you can still listen to the other three)

Thanks for the feedback Carl and Rich. It's sounding more and more like a no brainer...9.gif

One last question...Can't I get anybody of note to say that their crossover upgrade didn't do much and was a waste of money?? You know...like bi-wiring or bizillion dollar/ft silver speaker wire? hehe...2.gif

Redtop