Making K401 Horns nice and black again

• Moderators

I have a pair of 1990 LaScalla's and the K401 Horns have what appear to be white spider-web like cracks in them. I know this is just inherent in the materials uses, but I was wondering if anyone has come up with a good way of re-blacking the inside of their mid-range horns so they look nice and pretty.

Thanks,

Travis

Make sure you fully disassemble them (wouldn't want to get paint in the drivers, yuk) before painting. These are the composite horns, right? What paint sticks to them? I'd try some paint on the outside of the horn first...

You can get new grills from klipsch then go get oak base shoe moulding and make a frame to go on speaker,,,looks great i think,,,,i did it helps if you got a power miter box with a good blade though.Some will tell you to use 1/4 round but it will not look right use base shoe moulding...Rick2.gif

----------------

On 8/29/2004 12:56:54 PM dwilawyer wrote:

Rick,

What is oak base shoe moulding? Where would I find such a thing?

Travis

----------------

I think you have to be in the military, with a rotting wooden leg to get this...

Plastics are inherently dirty - they contain a lot of mold release agent - this helps the products come out of the molding process without resorting to jackhammer and crowbar. Some mold release agents are water soluble and some are solvent soluble.

First remove the driver from the horn, it simply unscrews, then remove the horn lens from the speaker. Wash the horn lens inside and out with a mild detergent and very warm water.

Go to an autobody supply place - maybe pepboys sells this stuff too, look for a solvent cleaner designed for plastics, some come in spray cans, and others in metal containers. I use and recommend SEM trim black spray paint- this comes in satin finish and high gloss. The satin finish is a very nice paint that is easy to apply in very thin coats, and dries very quickly. The solvent cleaner should be roughly $ 10 cdn a quart, and the SEM spray bomb retails for $ 17 cdn. Also, pick up a grey scotchbrite pad for lightly scuffing the inside of the horn.

Using a two cloth system, one wet with the solvent cleaner, and the other a dry cloth, wipe the inside and outside of the horn. Scuff with scotchbrite as far as you can reach down the throat, and then rewash with soap and water and the solvent cleaner. After drying, blow with compressed air to remove any dust particles, and then apply several thin, even coats of the Trim Black to obtain coverage.

After allowing the final coat to dry for ten minutes, the horns shold look like new and be ready for reinstallation in your speakers.

Base shoe moulding would be at Home depot or a lumber yard,,,,you make a grill frame out of it after you order grills from Klipsch parts,,,they come with emblems to and are perfect...base shoe moulding is kinda like 1/4 round but one side is wider, you put that side on the speaker makes perfect grill frame for Scalas...Rick