Is there a Mullard equivalent for the 5U4G?

jt1stcav

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy, if you type 5u4 into eBay a number of options come up. Just look for blackplates and the older the better. If you don't get the first set, just keep looking, a couple of pairs seem to come up every week. The past couple of weeks has seemed like a slow time and the prices have been a little cheaper than in June.

Jim, for that price they are well worth it, not as cheap as Allan got his for, but still a good buy.

Guys, it would like to take credit for this, but Allan Songer recommended these to me and I just passed the information along to you. I liked the end result, so I helped someone else along the line. You need to thank Allan for the information.

Don

----------------

On 9/1/2004 6:22:56 AM dubai2000 wrote:

I admit that I belong to those people whose amps sound different with different rectifier brands. And I am not only talking about currently owned amps, but also the Cayin integrated or the Wright 3.5 monos.

So I could try let's say 5Y3GBs or even a 274 replica (only four pins this one!) in my MC30s without any harm?

Wolfram
----------------

Wolfram,

Your going to have to explain how the Cayin sounds different with different rectifier tube brands 2.gif Its SS rectified unless you have some version I'm not aware of .

Craig

(Randy, if you type 5u4 into eBay a number of options come up. Just look for blackplates and the older the better. If you don't get the first set, just keep looking, a couple of pairs seem to come up every week. The past couple of weeks has seemed like a slow time and the prices have been a little cheaper than in June.)

(Jim, for that price they are well worth it, not as cheap as Allan got his for, but still a good buy.)

(Guys, it would like to take credit for this, but Allan Songer recommended these to me and I just passed the information along to you. I liked the end result, so I helped someone else along the line. You need to thank Allan for the information.)

Don, thanks for the reply,I'll check it out when we get back from our fun filled vacation this weekend.

I have

5 GE 5U4GA/GB,2alike,2 alike but taller and one with a different looking top plate completely, the other 4 are round but this top plate is squared off.

2 Sylvania 5U4's,black base,halos and red writing on the base,lettering gone

3 Tung-Sol 5U4GB's

1 RCA with a flared base, starts small and gets bigger

2 GE GZ34/5AR4's, look the same inside but one glass is taller

1 RCA 5U4GB/5AS4

14.gif Duh, my edit is are any of these tubes supposed to be anything?My macs are using chinese 5u4's now and sounding fine.

If I don't reply, I'm going to bed and then to Tennessee. Good weekend to all!3.gif

Dean...nevermind!

Edmund Lam wrote me back and said I could use either the Mullard GZ34 or the GZ37 for my particular amp, thus my concerns are finally put to rest.

Now I need to concentrate on the approaching Hurricane Frances that wants to tear the state of Florida in half! Here we go again!7.gif