Power " CORDS " ??

Dale W

Have any of you guys done any A/B testing on power cords for your amps ?

There seems to be a " Wide " range of prices and some wild ideas floating around on the net about there value .

Just as an example , you can spend like $250.00 upward to the moon for what is claimed as audiophile power cords .

Has anyone try'ed a cord that you noticed to make any difference in your system .

Fact or fiction ?

Opinions are always welcome on my threads 9.gif But i'd sure like to hear someone say " i did this and it changed this " Or " i try'ed this and it did nothing "

More crap for the thrash heap or do we have something to consider here ?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a simple philosophy on this subject. If the power cord can carry enough juice to electrocute and kill me its good enough to feed a amp that has this rinky dinky fine piece of wire inside the fuse limiting the effects of the garden hose power cable.

Craig

Dale,

I use AudioQuest 6' AC cables with the gear that I have with the EIC plug available (the preamp is hard wired or it would have them too). The ones I have are the "silver-coated copper" variety of a substantial diameter...

I bought one, played with it, and then went and got another.

The gear is simply louder and cleaner just by plugging them in.

That's close enough for me. Was it worth the price? No, is it ever?

DM2.gif

One has to bare in mind the wiring in your house is nothing special as well , so how can a 500 cord running 6' make any difference ? Some claim it does , so i beg to ask what the heck they used prior.

I don't profess to wear blinders in this hobby nor profess to completly understand everything but if something does work and does help then i'm totaly open for a trial run .

Do you think the copper power cords could and would corrode over the years , in lets say a old 1950's amp . Could a new cord possibly help out with some vintage stuff ?

No craig ! i'm not fishing out anything wrong with my dynacos if thats what your reading between the lines here . I'm intrested in purchasing power cords for my other amp project thats a work in progress.

Dale brings up the point I always make when someone asks about "Designer Power Cords". What is behind the receptacle that you just plugged your $500 6' power cord into? It is an odds on bet it is $.05 per foot Home Depot style 14 AWG copper. So exactly how does that last 6' piece of wire help? (Unless of course there is a problem with the existing power cord!) Before I part with that kind of money I want an answer to that question. I have never gotten one.

----------------

On 9/1/2004 7:56:32 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Didnt we go through this last week? Let me spell it out for you........SCAM.

----------------

Here you go... same subject, different title in the Richard Gray High Tension power cord ?????? thread.

My opinion also remains the same...

----------------

On 8/26/2004 12:30:53 AM formica wrote:

power cords are 100% snake oil. The differences are purely psychoacoustic. Save your money and buy some good albums...
1.gif

----------------

Maybe you should simply get some belles instead?... 9.gif

Rob

Well...

...even though I owe Deneen the full balance on my Peach, I just couldn't help myself. I went and ordered three of those Kimber power cords at $899 each for a 1/2 meter, and moved all of my gear right in front of the receptacles. I brought up my old 70's Sansui receiver and hard wired one of the new cords into it. The result was so overwhelming, so astounding that I immediately broke down and wept like a Girlyman. I never would have thought for an instant that the quality of a power cord bring more improvement to the sound of my system than the gear itself.

I'm in the process of upgrading all of the wire inside of the receiver with the 4 gauge Kimber cord, and though it's getting a bit tight in there, I smell success on the way. I look forward to more cleansing moments, as I pour out tears of joy.

----------------

On 9/1/2004 11:25:04 PM DeanG wrote:

Well...

...even though I owe Deneen the full balance on my Peach, I just couldn't help myself. I went and ordered three of those Kimber power cords at $899 each for a 1/2 meter, and moved all of my gear right in front of the receptacles. I brought up my old 70's Sansui receiver and hard wired one of the new cords into it. The result was so overwhelming, so astounding that I immediately broke down and wept like a Girlyman. I never would have thought for an instant that the quality of a power cord bring more improvement to the sound of my system than the gear itself.

I'm in the process of upgrading all of the wire inside of the receiver with the 4 gauge Kimber cord, and though it's getting a bit tight in there, I smell success on the way. I look forward to more cleasning moments, as I pour out tears of joy.

----------------

I couldn't tell if this was for real or not? If it's for real, that's awesome! If it's not, well it was friggin hilarious! I especially like the "girlieman" touch...thank Arnie for that the other night. =)

I myself have 3 PS Audio Xstream Prelude powercables I use for my 2 amps and my preamp, and they made no audible difference, I'm sorry to say. Yes, that's like $600 down the drain. But they sure look cool, with their thick mesh jacket and snake-like weave...

DaleW,

There are some power cords with integral rf filtering. If you don't have an rf filter elsewhere cleaning up the line power, such a cord will make a difference in that regard. If the contacts are a mess at either end, that junction could be adding trash (a new power cord would simply be cleaner and less likely to add contact noise).

On the rf note, a good rf filter/isolator (they usually include surge protection) is good for all your equipment and can be had for less than $100.

I have A/B tested filtered vs non filtered power and the filtered power wins very obviously. If you have a filter/isolator and reasonable clean line cord contacts I would say a more expensive cord might not do much, if anything.

Leo

Rather than power cables it might be worth looking at filters and isolators for your equipment.

When I returned my Svetlana 6550's to Tsakiridis I was thrashing around to find something to buy from him instead. As luck would have it his latest do-hickey is exactly that:

" Power isolator and filter

Isolating capability of 300 Watt

Separate filter line for up to 1500 Watt

High quality polypropylene capacitors of 5% tolerance and carbon resistors

Industrial spec sockets

Shielded isolator transformer meticulously winded and insulated by hand by us"

Sounds impressive don't it. Matches in nicely with the rest of the range too:

Hercul1.jpg

Gets rid of all sorts of nasty stuff from the mains power apparently. I just wish I could hear the difference it is obviously making....