Receiver sugestions?

bigm

Afternoon all.

I need some advice before I buy a receiver for my new RF-7 system(RF-7 all around). I have a budget of $800 and would like to try to stick to it but there is some wiggle room to play with if an $800 rec will not do the speakers justice.

Steve

Yes I'll do that. It's just so daunting a task for a someone new to this stuff to get the best they can for their money. I never realized it was so competitive in this market. I'm hoping to get some good advice and a range of receivers to look at and go from there.

Thanks for your recommendation.

I work on a research ship for two months at a time and when I got home from this trip he was out of business( I bought my speakers last time I was in town). There are no other klipsch dealers here except for best buy. There is only one other store here with upper end experience and they are a little snooty. I'd rather seek advice here from users and make my best guess.

Don't rule out Pioneer Elite's stuff, you can find used 43TX's and other models for under $500. I run the Elite 53TX with my RF-7/RC-7/RF-5 system and it sounds amazing. I am currently looking into an external amp, just to see what it can do for my system, but the 100x7 that the 53TX puts out is GREAT! Plays very loud, clear and no distortion.

Has a ton of features and gorgeous looks to boot 9.gif

Just another avenue to explore 2.gif

Don't rule out the Panasonic SA-XR25, 45, or 50. I've been very impressed with my SA-XR25, and a lot of other people have been highly impressed with these receivers. Just look them up on audiocircle.com or audioasylum.com I've got two new SA-XR50s. They don't sound as good to me overall as the 25. But they're new, so this will let me test the burn-in theory.

Most people agree that the Pannys sound great, and they're easily within your budget.

Ooops...I have to call "foul" with Marksdads comment. Listen for yourself. I own both Denon, Yamaha, & Onkyo. To me, Yamaha sounds the best. I was going to purchase a product in that price range as a gift for my father and was leaning toward the Yamaha product (several choices).

Also I have heard Denon product that sounds crappy and cost much more. Actually I have heard most products sound crappy at one tiome or the other, depending on setup.

Listen for yourself and don't rule out any unit.

If you could it would be great if you could do a home audition with your setup.

Some people think Yamaha is bright, I think clear. Some people think Denon is warm, I think muted. Some people think Onkyo is neutral, I think Blah.

So to each his own, and everyone is right if they like it.

This is just a personal note....You spent a lot of money on RF-7's, why so little on a reciever. You may spend more going through "upgradeitous" rather than saving for a better unit in a higher price range.

Tp tell you the truth this all started with a shopping trip for a couple of speakers for my 2 channel sys. One thing led to another and here I am looking for a receiver for HT. To sum up, the receiver was an after-thought. I know it should not be but it would be great if I could keep it below $1000.00. I'm rebuilding my CJ-8 and am robbing funds from that kitty.

I know it's half-*** way to do things but.................

Bigm,

That's how I built my system, half a##ed to the end. I may have spent twice the money that I would have. Coll thing is I now have three systems. If I keep this up I will have one in my bathroom before too long...can't say that's so bad!!!

I'm rebuilding and International Scout II so I know about "robbing from Peter to pay Paul."

Phil

I have found that alot of receivers that are good for music are not so good for hometheater. This goes against what I used to believe, but hearing is believing in this case. If you like your movies laid back and smooth go for a more musical receiver. I like onkyo for movies for incredible impact even at their 65 watt model will blow away a higher priced and much heavier harmon kardon or denon. The sheer impact is simply amazing compared to the other receivers I have tried yet put in a cd and it is thin as a toothpick sound. All though the denon and hk will have a better sub signal the onkyo is week but you just crank it up a little more. These are the entry levels I am talking about. If I personally had that kind of money I would look into some classifieds (used receivers) at audiogon. Mainly rotel, arcam,nad. Easily obtainable at 600. And alot of these people are good and fair. But I would make sure you get plenty of feedback from them first and make sure it has the features you like. When your on the product you like there is a link you can check out usually to check for reviews of it. This is very helpfull. I own a denon and like it. It's ok for music and ok for movies. It's far from very good, but not bad at all. I personally like the laid back highs of the denon. Except for movies I would rather have the detail and sheer impact of something like an onkyo. The onkyo has got a in your face sound ( like metal bending is awesome, but very week on others I have tried in the movie T2). I listen to more music so I prefer the colored sound of the denon or Harmans( very sweet would own this but quality isn't up to par) that I have tried. I can imagine a denon at 800 would be a really nice one. But Mine new was 500 so I would shoot for a better used receiver. Just my thoughts

Marantz SR7400 if music quality means something, but if you can afford an extra say $600, check out the SR8200, sweet piece...if just for video purposes any A\V Receiver will do..computerized sound field 10.gif

for the RF7's in all honesty the SR8200, plenty of jungle juice to drive those bad boys, but the quality is there at large volumes..10.gif