ebay AARRRRRGGGHH

colterphoto1

----------------

On 9/10/2004 8:00:56 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

I think I get the hang of how this works. You have to pretend that eBay is the auctioneer standing guard, working very quickly in whatever increment is used for each bid item. When I was bidding around $150, it would ask for bid increment to say 151.50, which I would then do. If anyone else had a higher 'max' bid on record, then it would immediately click to next increment to that buyer, tell me immediately I was outbid, then ask me for the next increment. Say we were now at 153, it would ask me for 154.50, and so on until I had beat the other guy or gave up. I think that is why so many people wait until the gavel is about to sound, then jump in with their max bid and say a prayer. In that we we aren't bidding against each other directly to bid up the price, we are essentially ignorant of the other guys' value of the property and each placing blind, sealed bids to the auctioneer, who of course, sells to highest, assuming reserve price has been met and we bow down to the other seller's ridiculous demands....

----------------

The reason you should wait until the end is so that another bidder does not have a chance to outbid your 'maximum' bid amount. All that intermediate raising of bids by a couple of bucks is pointless. You don't get any brownie points for being the high bidder for 6 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 50 seconds, do you? All you have succeeded in doing is driving up the price and increasing your competition. The objective is to win the auction for the lowest amount possible, without going over your maximum bid. If you don't know your maximum bid, you shouldn't be bidding until you do. After that, if you lose the auction, it was because someone wanted the item more than you did. So let it go. Tomorrow is another day!:) (Scarlett O'Hara) Have I helped a little?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, there are a couple of pairs of nice Cornwalls on AudioGon are any perhaps within driving distance from you. You can deal with the seller directly, work a deal without having to deal with the hassles on eBay.

There are even a couple of pair of Klipschorn's if you have some corners.

Hell, sometimes I just do a Google or Yahoo search for what I am looking for and find links to out of the way places that have gear that I am looking and can get it much cheaper than what eBay dictates.

I have found incredible deals by just digging around the web, or scooping up stuff on BIN deals where the seller has not done his benchmarking research.

----------------

On 9/10/2004 8:21:06 AM WS65711 wrote:

Colter -

I think you're catching on. The only other thing is (IMHO),

it doesn't really make any difference WHEN you place your maximum

bid. Waiting until the last minutes is of no real value. No one

can "See" what your max bid is until it is reached or exceeded by

another bidder. If it was truly your "max", you're not going to be

inclined to increase it again anyway.

The only real reason to wait until the last day or two of the auction

to bid, is in case you stumble upon another (better) deal in the meantime.

That way, you're free to bid on the "better" deal, and not "locked in" to

the first auction, which you may subsequently win.

Just my 2 cents . . .

Dave

----------------

Dave,

NOT TRUE again, mon frere! If you bid early, you give others the chance to outbid your maximum. If you bid late, and I don't mean the last day or two, I mean the last minute, then you may get the item for your max bid or less, because the other bidders are not around, or don't have time to outbid you.

Jake

It is not impossible to outbid yourself, it has happened to me on a number of occassions.

For example I have a bid in for say 151.50 current bid stands at 132.50, I decide that I want to raise my proxy bid amount to 175.00 instead. Now it has not happened to me every single time but I assure you it does happen, as soon as I up my proxy amount to 175.00 eBay will raise the 132.50 by one increment, say 2.50 and the current bid will then be 134.50. It does occurr!

----------------

On 9/10/2004 8:32:44 AM Frzninvt wrote:

It is not impossible to outbid yourself, it has happened to me on a number of occassions.

For example I have a bid in for say 151.50 current bid stands at 132.50, I decide that I want to raise my proxy bid amount to 175.00 instead. Now it has not happened to me every single time but I assure you it does happen, as soon as I up my proxy amount to 175.00 eBay will raise the 132.50 by one increment, say 2.50 and the current bid will then be 134.50. It does occurr!

----------------

Then ebay is violating their own rules. I would like to see one, just one, bid history shhwing this phenomenon. I don't think you can find one.

I have seen it happen, with auctions I have been involved with,

both as a buyer and as a seller.

You can prove it to yourself very easily. Next time you bid on

something, follow up your own high bid with another (higher) bid

before someone else bids.

Then come back and tell us what you discovered . . .

----------------

On 9/10/2004 8:35:32 AM WS65711 wrote:

YOU ARE RIGHT OK,

I'M SORRY !!!

YOU ARE RIGHT

YOU ARE RIGHT

YOU ARE RIGHT

PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES FOR DISAGREEING WITH YOU

----------------

I like a man who knows when he's right!:)

I can't ever recall getting beat up this much for trying to help someone.;)

----------------

On 9/10/2004 8:31:04 AM cmdridq wrote:

Dave,

NOT TRUE again, mon frere! If you bid early, you give others the chance to outbid your maximum. If you bid late, and I don't mean the last day or two, I mean the last minute, then you may get the item for your max bid or less, because the other bidders are not around, or don't have time to outbid you.

Jake

----------------

Jake -

You get "beat up" for stating you opinion as fact. Your opinion carries

the same weight as everyone else's. You just don't seem to realize that, as

you preceed your responses with "NOT TRUE". Opinions cannot be true or false,

they can only be the same or different. Yours are obviously different than mine.

That's fine, but it doesn't make mine (or anyone else's) WRONG or FALSE.

Someone's opinion can be correct or incorrect. If it is correct, then it is a fact. I showed where your deductions were erroneous. No one has shown that I have stated anything as fact that is not a fact.

I may be a newbie on this forum, but not so at eBay. I check out my 'opinions' before stating them. Stating incorrect opinions when people need real answers does not help them.

BTW, if I am stating an opinion, I always include the "IMO", to show I am not sure of the answer. Otherwise, I am stating it as fact, and I assumed others also folloowed this practice, but maybe not.

well, I lost of course, didn't post my true highest bid point and lost a nice clean pair of Heresies (my earlier description is of the pair Boomac has on Forum) my bid this am was 267.67 or so, winner got the pair for like $287. And they're in INDY! Of course seller didn't bother to return my three eBay messages asking for a fixed sale since I was local and there would be NO shipping costs to him, so if he paid shipping, he certainly lost money on the deal. Why won't eBay sellers return messages?

Thanks for line on Corns Frz. Got another line on some Birch Corns through this Forum although in NJ. ONly 650 pr and clean, I can do that.

here's the deal mike. Bid as close as you can to the last second with your absolute highest price you are willing to pay. Your emails to the seller will not be answered, they just want the highest price. Shipping costs are always paid by the buyer. Be patient, perseverent, and ultimately lucky.