Home Theater Parties

m00n

Share your home theater party experiances.

1) Just curious to know how many of you have home theater parties?

2) How have they gone?

3) Any horror storeis with your gear acting up or anything like that? Breakage?

4) What were their reactions?

5) Were you able to bring in any income to Klipsch via your party?

in 2 weeks I'm having my 5th movie party. I always enjoy them. It's a great treat to see the expressions on the faces of my co-workers/friends when they walk in, even more so when the movie gets going. They always leave with a glazed twinkle in their eyes.

I have one guy coming over this up coming party who is as I understand it, looking for a moderate system. You can damn well bet I'll be pitching Klipch full force at him. 10.gif

I had one kiddie party in my theater once, i was a nervous wreck. I ended up putting a barrier about 3 feet in front of my speakers to keep the kids away from them. Curious fingers = damaged speakers.

I've been getting a lot of requests from fellow co-workers about having another. Figured I better have another now becuase the theater is about to undergo more construction. I have to mount my RC7 surrounds better. Right now they are not mounted very well.

Good Friends

Good Parlie Pop

Good Klipsch

= Good Times!

m00n: (Great thread, man!) I've had several theater parties and here is my experience thus far:

I've noticed when people first walk in they are completely silent and wide-eyed. They are stunned because there is so much more to take in than they had expected, especially with the special lighting and everything.

Drinks rarely get spilled, but each time they do I thank God for tiled concrete floors with floor drains and Scotch Guard on the theater seats!

Although I love them, kids in a theater are a pain and should be banished for life..9.gif. . unless you are alone with your grandson and he wants to watch 'Thomas the Tank Engine' 2.gif

I've not had equipment failure during a party, but two days before Michael Hurd arrived to see my theater back in May, my projector lamp blew! 6.gif

Regardless of whether it's from a theater-style corn-popper or the microwave: Popcorn is an imperitive!

Every single party has been a blast. Everyone has been full of compliments, which makes all of the hard work we went through to build our theater well worth it! They always leave amazed and stunned. Nearly eveyrone says it's better than going to a commercial theater.

At least one friend went right out and bought a complete Klipsch Reference system of his own (he now has a theater) after having been to my theater twice. To this day he brags about my theater to others. I am quite flattered.

----------------

On 9/13/2004 12:30:50 PM m00n wrote:

3) Any horror storeis with your gear acting up or anything like that? Breakage?

They always leave with a glazed twinkle in their eyes.

----------------

Every time I show a Breakage film, NO ONE gets it. Giving your guests a glazed Twinkie sounds tasty as a parting gift, and is sure to help them remember the experience...better than a sharp stick, I say.

Fooey. While I don't have full fledged parties like you guys do (but I might if and when I get my mansion one day), my apartment was (and still is) very much a "lounge" where all my college friends come by and hang out, invited or not.

Think of my place as Seinfeld's crib. Day or night, it matters not. Raid my fridge, ransack my cabinets, hey, sharing is caring. Just don't use my bed. Besides, the fellas usually bring goodies in the form of females. =P

The system is always fired up, whether it's from my roommate playing one of his five game systems, my "intellectual" friends playing a game of chess while bumping some 50 cent (don't ask), or somebody cranking the latest DVD. We have a table with 4 chairs in the corner where everyone plays cards or dominos, and three couches surrounding a coffee table in the living room where everyone sets their cocktails that they make themselves from my full bar (like you Picky!).

And since I've programmed one single remote to operate all the components of my system, everyone now knows how to operate my system like nobody's business. So yeah, one big happy drunk family we are...

In addition to having the DFW Hornheads over every now and then (mostly sound focused) I have had several Theater events. I have had:

Star Wars Marathons (4,5, and 6 before 1 was released and 1 before 2 was released, and of course I am planning on 1 and 2 before 3 is released)

LOTR Marathons

Kill Bill 1 before Kill Bill 2

Superbowl parties for the past 4 years

Various other showings

People love it! I have a great time too. So far nothing has broken or gone wrong. I always power up the system a couple of hours before and event and check all the sound levels with a sound meter. I also check the inputs and the DVD player and of course the DVD itself. Then I switch over my networked MP3 player with slide show/screen saver and play music while people filter in, get muchies, drinks etc.. Then one press on the remote and the macro to dim the lights, switch all the inputs, and start the DVD kicks everything into high gear.

Laters,

Jeff

----------------

On 9/13/2004 1:01:51 PM picky wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------

On 9/13/2004 12:55:24 PM fini wrote:

Every time I show a
NO ONE gets it.

-----------------------------------------------------

fini:
No offense my friend, but, isn't that spelled: "
Brakhage"?

----------------

Yeah, but it wouldn't be as hillarious3.gif .

m00n: My theater, err.. ummm... apartment is always on the go. As you know, I was at Picky's in may, and we had a great time.

I have a good friend that comes over at least once a week, for " movie night ", even if I am out of town. He usually buys the beverages and we supply the movie and place.

Sometimes I can get a little carried away with the volume on an action flick, but the girls downstairs have never complained. So far, I can say that I have not had a problem, other than one time watching a sitcom in a torrential downpour, that we lost satelite signals momentarily.

Every year, me and my bro invite some friends over for an overnite viewing of the entire alias series on dvd...i think it's like 16 hours straight or something, i forget but we watch the whole series straight through. However, these parties never really concentrate on the audio quality because the parents are upstairs sleeping while we do this 9.gif

One year, we had a LOTR party where we watched the first two (this was before the third one was out). The friends that came over have never heard a decent sound system and were blown away (my system goes down to 20 some Hz with no problem...it's been a while since i measured and i've forgotten the number). This party was right after I had rebuilt these speakers (i dug them outta the trash). I purchased a klipsch sc-1 center just for the occasion (to complete the 5.1) and moved the bose to the back which perform very well as surrounds (if you're looking for that diffuse sound anyway).

Another year, we had a Dune movie party, but that kinda fell through the floor. At the last minute, everybody that was supposed to show up didn't show up and me, my dad, and bro were wondering where everyone went and we ended up not even watching one movie. I think we went out and played some rugby instead.

My "home theater" is nothing special though...more like a family room that I fight with my parents to get acoustically ideal. I've given up on asking them for permission to change the room. At night, I move everything around and put extra furniture in the room for mounting all the speakers in the right spot. And then during the day, my parents are too lazy to move it back and they figure that I'm going to be moving out soon enough anyway and then they won't have to fight me 9.gif12.gif That said, I don't get many oo's and ah's when people walk into the room...and most of my friends are deaf anyway so all they care about is bass that shakes the crap out of them, but that's hardly a defintion for good sound.

When people ask me for advice about speaker purchases, I do recommend that they check out klipsch, but I don't push it very hard. One of the most frustrating things for me in the pro audio world is all the people that swear by brands and blah blah blah. Klipsch is by no means the best speaker company in the world and they aren't always the best bang for the buck either. Thus, I choose not to push klipsch very hard onto people...but I do suggest they check it out. I know people that will say things like "SHURE is the best mic in the world" and then they'll go on to say that anything that isn't a SHURE mic is a piece of crap. If I said Bose was the epitomy of speaker companies and claimed everything sucked in comparison, y'all would scream heresy 2.gif

I guess you could say that our first "official" theater party was this year's Superbowl. It was standing room only.

Things gone wrong such as "equipment failure"? Yeah....everyone marveled at the clear picture when Janet Jackson suffered "Costume Failure" in Hi-Def! 14.gif Um...The lady's certainly in "good shape". Our wives were not impressed! 15.gif

----------------

On 9/13/2004 12:30:50 PM m00n wrote:

Share your home theater party experiances.

----------------

I've done a couple, mostly Lord of the Rings, including a full marathon (will probably do it again when the third Extended Edition comes out)

I've had people consistently tell me that my system sounded better. What was pretty cool was that I did a Lord of the Rings marathon on the day the third one came out in the theaters. We watched the first two on my setup, then we all went to the movies to watch the third (I reserved a block of tickets, and everbody paid me, thankfully, everybody that said they were coming, did). Everyone was telling me how much better it sounded in on my own system!

I've had people ask me when I plan on having another "Movie Night". I am thinking maybe when the third Harry Potter movie comes out and/or do another Lord of the Rings marathon, with all three extended editions.

Somebody mentioned streaming MP3's and a slide show. I've done that myself. I've also had people want to try thier CD's on my system.

It is one thing to have and enjoy a really nice audio system, but the real fun is when I can share it with others. Seeing the reactions, especially from those that think Bose is the end-all-be-all in audio, is almost worth what I paid for all this!

It is one thing to have and enjoy a really nice audio system, but the real fun is when I can share it with others. Seeing the reactions, especially from those that think Bose is the end-all-be-all in audio, is almost worth what I paid for all this!

----------------

You hit the nail on the head there, skonopa. I think sharing the experience gives me the same pleasure as adding a new piece of equipment or upgrading a current piece. We had some friends over (about 3-6) for every Red Wings and Pistons playoff game this year. It was a 3-4 night experience per week, which was a tad much, but having friends over to share your experience with them is great.

Almost anything you enjoy doing by yourself is better when shared with someone else.

David

It sucks that I live in LA, cause despite people saying my rig kicks serious a$$, nobody has ever said it sounds better than the local theater, because when the local theaters are The Arclight, Mann's Chinese, and the Kodak Theater (where they hold the Oscars), you don't stand a chance in hell.

----------------

On 9/15/2004 7:45:54 PM nicholtl wrote:

It sucks that I live in LA, cause despite people saying my rig kicks serious a$$, nobody has ever said it sounds better than the local theater, because when the local theaters are The Arclight, Mann's Chinese, and the Kodak Theater (where they hold the Oscars), you don't stand a chance in hell.

----------------

Oh? Do they have killer systems? Dumb question, do they actually show movies at Mann's Chinese? I somehow thought it was used primaraly for hollywood shindigs.

Oh my God, do they have killer systems? I don't even have the words to describe how brilliant the experience is. The bass is monstrous, like a thunderous beast roaring at your mother, knashing it's fangs at your little sister, pounding your heart like a bassdrum. And yet controlled like a teacup poodle on a steel leash. The mids are rich, enveloping, and utterly smooth, like warm drizzled chocolate truffle sauce imported from Belgium. The highs are simply transparent. They make the entire auditorium a sweet spot. Hardly recessed, and yet nowhere near sparkling...they simply grab you by the balls, consume you whole, chew you up like Jaws, and then spit you back out a shuddering, goose-bumped idiot whose jaw has slammed to the ground with inexplicable awe. You don't just hear the movie -- hell, you don't even experience it -- you LIVE it.

And this 30.10 magic (yes, there are about that many speakers and subs) all occurs amidst the backdrop of golden silence.

...pauses for effect...

Oh, and Mann's chinese totally shows movies. If anyone ever comes down to LA, your trip will not be complete without watching a flick at one of the three aforementioned cinemas. Otherwise you disgrace your brethren of the audiophile race.

Most of the local movie houses here blow. Many visitors to our theater have remarked how much better it is to watch a movie at our place. Several have said the only place they've been to watch a movie that was better is the Henry Ford IMAX in Dearborn. I have to agree with them. You are totally immersed into the movie there both visually and aurally. It's the ultimate movie experience. It's also nice to be compared with such a place by others.

I'm finding that owning a good home theater is a lot like owning a pool; Everyone wants to dive in. Thank God nobody has peed in it.......yet!