Home Theater Parties

m00n

----------------

On 9/16/2004 7:53:51 AM picky wrote:

Most of the local movie houses here blow. Many visitors to our theater have remarked how much better it is to watch a movie at our place. Several have said the only place they've been to watch a movie that was better is the Henry Ford IMAX in Dearborn. I have to agree with them. You are totally immersed into the movie there both visually and aurally. It's the ultimate movie experience. It's also nice to be compared with such a place by others.

I'm finding that owning a good home theater is a lot like owning a pool; Everyone wants to dive in. Thank God nobody has peed in it.......yet!
----------------

Picky-I've heard that there is a THX certified theater in Grand Rapids that is spectacular. Have you heard this as well? If so, I'm going to have to drive over there sometime and catch a cool flick. With all the crap that's been out lately, it might be a long wait!!!

David

dkp:

David, here is a list (from THX) of the THX-Certified theaters in Michigan (2 in Grand Rapids):

Celebration Cinema

200 East Edgewood Boulevard

Lansing, MI 48911

Celebration Village

2121 Celebration Blvd.

Grand Rapids, MI 49525

Jack Loeks Studio 28

1350 28th St. S.W.

Grand Rapids, MI 49509

----------------

On 9/17/2004 9:47:24 AM picky wrote:

dkp:

David, here is a list (from THX) of the THX-Certified theaters in Michigan (2 in Grand Rapids):

Celebration Cinema

200 East Edgewood Boulevard

Lansing, MI 48911

Celebration Village

2121 Celebration Blvd.

Grand Rapids, MI 49525

Jack Loeks Studio 28

1350 28th St. S.W.

Grand Rapids, MI 49509

----------------

Thanks, Glenn. Lansing is an hour closer to me than Grand Rapids.

David

nicholtl,

You have no idea how lucky you are. Here, I have a choice of several different multiplexes. Each of them opened with great intentions, but have gone downhill rapidly. Typical theater experience:

Room is shaped like a shoebox. Very narrow, long. Maybe 20 seats across.

Screen is about as big as a really big home theater.

Screen is covered with stains from people in audience throwing cokes and stuff at screen at end of show. Also has tears and holes.

Projector window is filthy, covered with dust and grime.

Sound "system" is cheap. Last movie I went to see (Spider Man 2), speakers on left side of theater were not working at all (entire left set were dead.) I tried to point this out to management, but couldn't find anyone other than ushers, who are 18 year old high school kids who don't know who runs the place.

Floor is covered with, well, better left unsaid...

All in all, watching the 12 inch set in my kitchen with the TV speaker is a more pleasent experience than suffering through going to one of the local theaters.

Tom, haha, yeah, I must admit Stereophile has influenced me somewhat. And Ray, wow man, I really feel for ya...that description of your local theaters sounds horrendous. I've been to quite a few like that around here too, but they're usually the ones reserved for the smaller independant films. There are never holes in the screen though! But there is a lot of sticky stuff on the floor...

...once I even found a fork sticking upright in a seat! Girlfriend was NOT happy! 14.gif

I have had many HT parties, as many of you in the SE Wisconsin / Chicago area are aware1.gif

All have gone off without any damage. Even at 2AM after a long night of drinking.

I have had other family's with kids over as well. What I do is let the adults sit in the chairs, then I put in blanket on the floor in front of the seats for the kids to sit and snack on. Then at the end of the night, I can roll up the blanket and shake it out in the back yard.

JM

• 2 weeks later...

1) Just curious to know how many of you have home theater parties?

We have movie nights here.....but not so much expressly for "movie night". We frequently have guests over and they may indulge in Klipsch via the TV (and they even comment about how good this sounds), music, or for video or movies. If you are in my house, odds are, the Klipsch are on. Election season or otherwise, Klipsch truly are the "Speaker of the House".

2) How have they gone?

Nothing but consistent and steady positive comments about the experience. People are amazed....especially those who "thought" they knew what a good system sounded like. Since, I have consulted on several systems and gifted several pairs of Klipsch - knowing they would be loved and appreciated.

3 and 4) Any horror storeis with your gear acting up or anything like that? Breakage?

My DVD failed one evening, but not on an evening where I was planning to show off a new release. I replaced it the next day. A bit of inconvenience to be sure, but there are many, many other methods for us to enjoy the Klipsch - so it's easy to make guests forget the issue!

5) Were you able to bring in any income to Klipsch via your party?

I have been responsible for some new Klipsch sales, but primarily, I have moved more used Heritage than anything else.

My friends know me well. Which is to say that they know damn well that I have the speakers I have for a reason. That I didn't drive half way across the country for something "middle of the road". That I am not made of money - and therefore, in my friend's minds, the Klipsch are attainable. And that I am the most difficult consumer to please in terms of product performance and reliability. I am a bastid towards companies who build disposable junk - I want my investment to LAST. I am extremely loyal to those who build reliable, fairly priced, long lasting goods that I can buy used if I need to: Toyota, McIntosh, Klipsch. Heritage Klipsch.

So typically, they will say, "I'll have what he's having". Therefore, I have obtained several pairs of Heritage line models as the basis for several friend's systems......and I don't forsee that trend changing. I always send them or take them to the local Reference dealers and let them decide (and at times, the RF series is chosen). Usually, the Heritage comes out the winner - especially if they go 2 channel. I am beginning the process again for a couple who have just moved into a new home.....who have ordered a pair of Cornwalls and integrated amp A La Carte! Another happy Klipsch couple9.gif