what kind of amp

jannegard1

Paul is a shy, reserved young man who has difficulty expressing his feelings about SET amps. 9.gif

If you use the search engine and type in SET you will see pages of debate and flame wars. It is an option that some have and are very impressed by it, others have gone the Push Pull route with more power, 30-60W and love that sound. Both can make you very happy with a pair of Khorns. The best way to know what works with you, tell us where you live and someone might be willing to have you over for an audition. The only person who will know what works for you, is you and your ears. You have heard about some SET options, Paul, Craig or Dean can offer you PP suggestions if that is the option you choose.

Lots of good options available, what is great, is up for debate.3.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which pair ?

One pair see's duty in HT and fed with a 380wpc rotel rb-1090 SS amp

One pair upstair fed by a pair of kt-88 PP amps ( tubes )

One pair under reconstruction right now , will be fed with some 300b set amps that i will be building this fall.

What sound the best ?? Depends on a few factors .

1) music choice

2) room size

3) source material

4) room acoustics

5) personal prefurance ( how your own ears purceive sound pressure waves )

6) last but not least , you mood

The last may sound a bit strange but when your in the mood to be moved by SPL don't expect a 7 wpc SET to kick your guts to death with some AC/DC , at the same time don't expect a $2000.00 SS amp to reproduce the soundstage of james taylor and his magical guitar .

The moral of the story is , it's all in what your looking for .

There is no one amplifier that can do it all , anyone suggesting different is full of sh!t and or just sporting for a arguement .

I've had 25 different SS amps over the years , now i'm trying out all the tube amp topoligies to see which one does the most the best .

----------------

On 9/15/2004 11:04:17 PM mdeneen wrote:

Oh, BTW, what would be the best car to buy?

----------------

Same thing goes, mark .

Depends on what your needs and lifestyle require , if your after the ultimate milage and best bang for the buck then forget about anything built in the usa or canada ( i've worked for general moters for 23 years)

the car to beat would be the deisel jetta ( vw ) hands down.

If your into the " save the enviroment crap " then go with honda . There R&D money makes the usa look like kids spending there allowance in the bar .

Funny how the americans " use " to head up technoligy , now they just copy what the asia and european countries introduce.

----------------

On 9/15/2004 5:25:51 PM janne wrote:

what kind of amp are you driving your k-horn with....?

----------------

At the moment 40 watt per channel push/pull tube. But during the frequent down times of my tube amps, I have listened extensively with a Rotel pre RC1070 and power RB1050 s/s amplifier. Surprisingly good sound from my Klipschorns driven by 50+ watts or so of solid state. My Khorns live in a largish room so the extra power doesn't hurt.

----------------

On 9/15/2004 11:26:25 PM mdeneen wrote:

Uh, oh, did I mention I need to tow a 6,500 pound trailer with it - in the Cascades and Rockies? Maybe the Honda is out?

mdeneen

----------------

So are you looking for a SUV or pickup ??

Not too many passenger vehicle left that can tow , most have unibody constuction and will not substain a trailor package , not to mention the transmission shifting software never took into consideration a static load or placement of a hitch .

The ford crown vic and the chevrolet impala are the olny cars i'd consider pulling lets say a tent trailor with , other then that i'd be looking at a SUV or pick up .

It's not just the pulling you have to take into consideration " BUT " the braking as well . As well as weight to overcome enersha ( spelling ? ) in a static situation .

----------------

On 9/15/2004 11:26:25 PM mdeneen wrote:

Uh, oh, did I mention I need to tow a 6,500 pound trailer with it - in the Cascades and Rockies? Maybe the Honda is out?

mdeneen

----------------

Scrap the Honda. Buy a Jeep Cherokee 2.7 litre Diesel. Hang-on, 6,500 pounds? That's over 3 metric tonnes isn't it? Maybe you need a Ford F250 or something.

----------------

On 9/15/2004 11:37:02 PM edwinr wrote:

Hang-on, 6,500 pounds? That's over 3 metric tonnes isn't it? Maybe you need a Ford F250 or something.

----------------

Forget the F-250... and even the little Hummer H2... you need a real SUV/truck like the Navistar CTX !! 9.gif

I still can't believe anyone would seriously buy one... but I guess time will tell. At that point, I rather just get a flatbed... so I could tow my own cars 2.gif .

Rob

PS: i realise i'm a little OT, but i just had to post that... 2.gif

I dunno about all this class A, tube, SET (which can or cannot be tube, how is one to know if a modern receiver is SET?)

Please, won't you all tell me I'm a complete idiot for purchasing a modern Yamaha 6.1 receiver RXV2400 for use with my Cornwalls and other Klipsches, so I can go out and shoot myself! I'm 99 db efficient, so if I want to occasionally rock out and have plenty of headroom for peaks, I'm certainly not going to get by with 15 watts of power, especially for HT experience.

How subdued of a listening experience can you have with that little wattage. I mean even symphony orchestra at realistic levels must need more umph than that, right? Just trying to get educated here, thanks.

----------------

On 9/15/2004 8:18:09 PM Erik Mandaville wrote:

"...the SET stuff does sound the best,hands down."

Yes, for you, for me, and for maybe several others here. However, there are no absolutes that can qualify SET amps as being THE BEST for Klipschorns or any other speaker. I like my amps very much, but that does not mean that sentiment, opinion, or value judgement will be the same for someone else -- in fact we know quite well it is not.

----------------

SET sounds best on 100+db horns, thats it. I have heard SET on 96db speaks and the majic is gone, SET is the only way to go if you have 100db+ Klipsch speakers, need more bass? add a sub. Need more power? then dont be a tight wad and spend the money on a high power SET. Simple, having all of the music amplified sound majical on the klipsch horn product.

"SET sounds best on 100+db horns, thats it. I have heard SET on 96db speaks and the majic is gone, SET is the only way to go if you have 100db+ Klipsch speakers, need more bass? add a sub. Need more power? then dont be a tight wad and spend the money on a high power SET. Simple, having all of the music amplified sound majical on the klipsch horn product."

Oh! What a fool I have been! I didn't know that SET was the only way to go with 100db+ Klipsch speakers. All this time I've been under the obviously misguided impression that many on this forum have been very happy with higher power, Push-pull or solid-state alternatives.

Thanks for posting a post of such crystal-like lucidity! I hereby also promise not to be a tight wad.

----------------

On 9/16/2004 4:06:03 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Please, won't you all tell me I'm a complete idiot for purchasing a modern Yamaha 6.1 receiver RXV2400 for use with my Cornwalls and other Klipsches...

----------------

The Yamaha is a nice receiver. Very smooth and an ideal solid state receiver match for Heritage Klipsch! A product I would even consider myself should/if/when I go back to multi channel.

----------------

On 9/16/2004 4:52:40 PM Erik Mandaville wrote:

Oh! What a fool I have been! I didn't know that SET was the only way to go with 100db+ Klipsch speakers. All this time I've been under the obviously misguided impression that many on this forum have been very happy with higher power, Push-pull or solid-state alternatives.

Thanks for posting a post of such crystal-like lucidity! I hereby also promise not to be a tight wad.

----------------

Thank you.1.gif

I've got 300 watts per channel that RARELY get used (except in parts of certain movies). Most of the time, my serious stereo listening is WELL UNDER 1 WATT per channel!

Actually, it probably peaks at 1 watt (they are averaging meters). It's only 3 times louder than 1 watt at 300 watts, kids.

The recommended power requirements on 104db sensitive horns is really not a useful guideline...

the answer is: it depends on other things and THEY can be very satisfying from below 1 watt to 300 watts!

So I recommend an amplifier rated anywhere from 1 to 300 watts, depending on WHAT one listens to. Topology only enters into the equation once the power requirements have been determined, and topologies are REALLY the LEAST IMPORTANT... but that's just my opinion, and we all have one of those!

DM2.gif

Mark,

Get a ford F150 4x4 and then you can also load a pair of Khorns.

I recently hooked up some VRD's, and they sound pretty darn good.

An ST70 on the cheap sounds good.

A MC240 sounds good.

Would like to try set, but haven't spent the money yet.

An HK430 sounds really good for $50.00. Thats where I would spend my first $50 bucks.