The curse of having a good ear....

maxg

All my wife wanted was a radio for the office. Simply brief on the face of it. Go out - pick a radio.

So off I go with Tony to one of the local electronics warehouse type places nearby.

Of course they have a listening room all set up with B&W speakers, a host of surround sound receivers, flat screen TV's and the rest, so about 2 hours are lost in there trying to find something that sounds vaguely acceptable - largely without success. Nice screens on the whole - but we are talking silly money.

Anyway finally I get both of us out of there and we start examining radios. Dozens of them - lined up along the shelves - each looking spacier than the last and each sounding plain horrible.

Items range from relatively small affairs - with innumerable wavebands covered (LW / SW / MW / FM etc. etc.) - that sound plain dreadful to large - I belong on the space shuttle type things - that sound better - but not much.

Then there is the retro selection. Radios made up to resemble the old tube units in everything by sound which is uniformly appalling.

At the end of this pile of junk are a set of radios under the title "Henry Kloss designs - Tivoli"

The first thing that strikes you is the appearance. They look really nice - real wood veneers - simply dials - just as a radio should. Small enough to sit unobtrusively on the corner of a desk - and with a range of colours of both woods and facias.

As our corporate colours are blue and yellow I was taken by this one:

product_image.php?imageid=63

Even before I have played anything through them they are on a winner. Next up - the feel of the controls - that lovely weighty - we built this thing with love and using quality components feel. Turning the tuning dial is a joy.

Power up and the search is over. Sound is simply excellent - no over heavy - look how we can boost the bass - tinny, in your face rubbish. This sounds balanced, neutral and clean.

So how much is this? I ask.

Woah!!! 175 Euros - that is a price! For a radio?? No wonder it sounds and feels so good - everything else we listened to is comfortably the other side of 100 - some the other side of 20.

Bit of haggling later - and we agree on 160 - hardly bargain basement territory - but it will do.

Heading home I start to worry how SWMBO is going to react. "You spent how much on a radio? - You *!#%&$^&!!!"

Funnily enough that didnt happen. I got home - unboxed it - plugged it in - she listened - asked the price and merely said - "That explains it - wonderful present - thanks. Sounds lovely."

Phew. She is a nutty as I am on sound - and I am only just beginning to realise it.

A curse shared is only half a curse it seems - chalk another 160 up to my ears - for a radio - I still cant believe it!

Just as an aside there was a range of units there. Some porable ones - with built in rechargable batteries that sounded identical to this unit. Sadly however - no wood - and as we only want this for the office - no real benefit in portablity. Slightly smaller - but not nearly as cool looking.

Then there was the model 2 - stereo. Frankly - although the appearance is similar - the sound was not as good (probably the lack of a strong enough signal to really drive the stereo properly) - and the price another 120.

Add to that the fact that this is now 2 boxes - with a cable running between them and I see the WAF dwindling.

So the model one it is - and thus far I would highly recommend it to anyone cursed by having a "good ear".

I actually own one of the Tivoli PAL's. THe thing is great. I can play over 20 hours of radio on it between charges, but typically, I just have it plugged in at the office. I hooked up a set of Cambridge Soundworks computer speakers and it sounds incredible for the investment. Those other units they try to pawn off in stores are ridiculous.

Hi Max,

Here locally Tivoli is sold in the "Hi End" store along woth all the other goodies that cost megabucks. Nice looking radio in general......never had a chance to listen. And boy is the WAF ever high around here. Boston Acoustics has a small radio, (similar size) for 160.00 that sounds pretty good with the very simple controls which is rare for a boombox/radio now days.

9.gif .....Pat

Hi, Max:

We have two! They are great little radios, but we found them just a little bass-heavy. I have put some very loose, 'teased' cotton inside the port at the bottom, which evens out the response a bit. I think there must be a bypass cap on the output, or something, which is causing that. I just don't want to open it up to see, because I might start changing things! Not always the smartest thing to do, IMO.

I've got a KLH tewnty-one that sounds amazing. It's probably 40 years old and they show up on ebay a lot. I think the KLH eight is the tube version. I believe those Tivolis are base on those old KLH, at least in appearance. But you are right they sound so much better than most boom box and other radios out there.

----------------

On 9/20/2004 10:25:41 AM mdeneen wrote:

Yeah, get a pair of them and just connect your Khorns. It's like a pair of WAV8s.

mdeneen

----------------

They have the model 2 for that - in full stereo!! Now that would be an interesting system - Model 2 tivoli connect to a pair of KHorns - they even have a matching CD player now!!

Thanks all for the input - condolences for my wallet etc. etc. Hopefully many happy listening hours for Georgia Ahead....

Not to rain on the parade, but I the one thing I don't like about the Model one is the fact that more attention was put into the aesthetic quality of knobs than how efficiently they work. The gearing of the tuning dial is great, but I told my wife I might change the knobs for others that provide a better grip. The problematic one for me is the one that turns the radio on and off and.........

...........what in the world am I doing here talking about the knobs on Tivoli radios!?

----------------

On 9/21/2004 4:50:43 AM Erik Mandaville wrote:

Not to rain on the parade, but I the one thing I don't like about the Model one is the fact that more attention was put into the aesthetic quality of knobs than how efficiently they work. The gearing of the tuning dial is great, but I told my wife I might change the knobs for others that provide a better grip. The problematic one for me is the one that turns the radio on and off and.........

...........what in the world am I doing here talking about the knobs on Tivoli radios!?

----------------

Good question - but simple solution to the knob problem - dont turn it off - it has hardly stopped playing since it arrived here.

----------------

On 9/20/2004 2:47:36 AM maxg wrote:

A curse shared is only half a curse it seems - chalk another 160 up to my ears - for a radio - I still cant believe it!

----------------

Yup, I can believe it!

I was in the same boat as you, except I wanted something nice to listen to in the office at work. I went and looked at several of the different radios as you have. They all either sounded like crap, or was too big for my desk, or just plain to ugly. When I finally found something that was actualy pretty decent, i.e., those "executive" shelf-systems, they wanted way to much money. Same thing with the Bose Wave radio. Decent sounding unit (my parents has one), but not at the asking price.

After much searching around, I also "discovered" the Tivoli Henry Kloss radios. I love the wood cabinet, and the sound was such a very nice, warm sound that had plenty of detail and clarity. I opted for the stereo Model 2 version. I also got the little subwoofer that goes with it. It does help with the bass extension and seems to give the sound more "body" (for lack of a better term).

Unfortunatly, since I am in an inside office, radio reception in my building just plain sucks. Thus, as a result, I ended up hooking my PC up to it, and listen to internet radio or play CD's through it. I've gotten comments from several of my co-workers about how nice that radio sounded. Managed to sell a few units to others around the office.

I am tempted to get one of those portable "PAL" units for taking out camping.

Yes, this is more expensive than that typical junk you usually see, but at the same time, I've listened to some radios/small systems that were far more expensive, most notably the Bose Wave radio, that did not sound as good as the Tivoli.

Needless to say, I am quite happy with mine. BTW, didn't I just recently see a version that has a Sirius satellite tuner built in? Well, look at this! Again, I wish I wasn't in an inside office. That would be sweet!